Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry this happened. Years ago I had a feral in the house that I kept in a spare bedroom, I could not go into the room without being attacked, still have my scars from him. I could only open the door enough to slide in the food and water and I kept the litter right by the door so I could quickly pull it out to clean and quickly shove back in. It took about a month before I could enter the room without being attacked, he would eventually eat with me in the room, growling all the while he was eating. After a few months all of a sudden one day he started winding around my legs purring like crazy, it was as if a little switch was flipped and all of a sudden I was his best friend, had him for 18 years. Point being, patience, patience and more patience will win the battle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you in California? Do you have another bathroom? If you do, I would let Timmy stay in the bathroom and leave him alone for now.
Things I have learned about ferals are
Gloves don’t work
They are tiny but will injure themselves to get away.
All they want to do is escape
When frightened they honestly think you are trying to kill them.
If you fail once, quit. Don’t do anything with an upset cat

I am sorry you got hurt. I have never had any luck with people helping me. They never understand the speed in which you must move. I hope you are feeling better.

I am in California and if your not to far I could help you, but California is a big state.

if you can, leave him alone for a good while. Let him get hungry. There is no oral medication that will help when he is agitated.

I’m so sorry this happened. He won’t starve in 12 to 24 hours and it’s easier to manage a hungry cat.

if you do use Gabapentin, 100 mg isn’t going to touch him. I would speak to your vet about using the maximum amount.

Be careful of trappers. Ask what their plan is.
Awww,so sweet of you but I'm in South Florida,my dear friend Patticats said the same thing"Wish I were near you"( she's out of State as well & just joined here too)
Isn't funny how all the people you know and are near don't step up to the plate,it's always some excuse? In an event,I'll never make the mistake of asking again- they just get in the way by either talking too loud,too much or moving too fast or too slow-:uhhhh,oh well
So,there's a happy ending at this early stage y'all- I finally found a trapper who was a cat lover,very kind man that was cute and starting trapping animals because he hated the idea of animals being abused,he does a lot of rescues and when it comes to Mamas & kittens he needs a place to bring them,a no kill/adoption place- introduced him to someone.....he was expensive & honestly after I discovered he did not tell his boss it was a cat because his boss is like every other trapper I spoke with,it was worth every penny.I said the poor thing is terrified,he said" me too & smiled" but he knew exactly what he was doing & in 5 minutes Timmy was in the carrier...
So I'm fine,I've had much worse over the years and it's never the critters fault,not ever!Brought Timmy to the Vet,he was sedated and he's parasite free( been on Revolution for many months)only have to wait for Fel Lukemia results. had his vaccines,fecal- all good so far....
He's in the carrier hiding,the Cat calming harp music is playing(TabbyTom gave me the link)- it's been quiet all night & I kept my other 4 in the bedroom with me but now they all ran out to go investigate so they might just have to go back in my room because Timmy is hissing - I was kinda glad to hear from him cause I can't see him with where the carrier is...
Now you guys are up to speed,I suppose I'll feed at the regular time,leave it for about an hour and take it easy,I don't imagine he'll come out to eat yet

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So my cats kept passing by where Timmy could see them ,no doubt he has no idea what wire mesh or glass doors are until he's confident enough to test it one day.....he kept hissing & finally moved to an upper tier cubby facing out towards the glass doors ---- I can't see him unless I'm in the patio but it looks like he's feeling safe up there.... I should probably put his food bowl up there on the shelf at dinner time,he might very well eat or maybe it's better on the floor so he'll have to come down when he gets hungry enough- thoughts?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So my cats kept passing by where Timmy could see them ,no doubt he has no idea what wire mesh or glass doors are until he's confident enough to test it one day.....he kept hissing & finally moved to an upper tier cubby facing out towards the glass doors ---- I can't see him unless I'm in the patio but it looks like he's feeling safe up there.... I should probably put his food bowl up there on the shelf at dinner time,he might very well eat or maybe it's better on the floor so he'll have to come down when he gets hungry enough- thoughts?
Oh, I was about to ask are you feeling better and how's Timmy's doing?

A little hissing is ok and once he finds that the other cats are no threat to him and seeing them everyday, he should get used to them. Only thing is Timmy must not keep on retreating.

Since he's supposed to get use to the other cats and vice versa, I think it's ok for him to eat on the floor so that it's like some kind of introduction and also he'll gain more confidence eating while the other cats are around.

But you just keep an observation and see how things go and work from there. Remember, go slow.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I was about to ask are you feeling better and how's Timmy's doing?

A little hissing is ok and once he finds that the other cats are no threat to him and seeing them everyday, he should get used to them. Only thing is Timmy must not keep on retreating.

Since he's supposed to get use to the other cats and vice versa, I think it's ok for him to eat on the floor so that it's like some kind of introduction and also he'll gain more confidence eating while the other cats are around.

But you just keep an observation and see how things go and work from there. Remember, go slow.
Hi TT,I'm doing fine,the head bleeds alot so always looks much worse than it actually is,poor girl that was here was terrified,she was in a state of shock & just came by to see how I'm doing- she said she froze seeing blood dripping down my face and yet I just kept going,didn't realize I had the cat in my hands????? Okay?🤔
Thank you,I think the same,out the food down low so he's forced out of hiding-eventually....however,I just took away this mornings food from the bottom and placed some treats in front of him,just said what I usually say" here baby,treats- it's okay ,it's okay" ,no eye contact & left quietly.Been on the phone a bit,your calm cat music playing softly and that's about it .. my cats are on the patio,Timmy can see them a little as I have the verticals only open a wee bit

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi TT,I'm doing fine,the head bleeds alot so always looks much worse than it actually is,poor girl that was here was terrified,she was in a state of shock & just came by to see how I'm doing- she said she froze seeing blood dripping down my face and yet I just kept going,didn't realize I had the cat in my hands????? Okay?🤔
Thank you,I think the same,out the food down low so he's forced out of hiding-eventually....however,I just took away this mornings food from the bottom and placed some treats in front of him,just said what I usually say" here baby,treats- it's okay ,it's okay" ,no eye contact & left quietly.Been on the phone a bit,your calm cat music playing softly and that's about it .. my cats are on the patio,Timmy can see them a little as I have the verticals only open a wee bit
Good that you are doing fine. The poor gal proably had not experienced such ordeal with a cat before.

Tea, take it slow and easy from here and try not to spook Timmy.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so glad you found a good trapper. Many of them are brutal. It sounds like you are doing the best that can be expected right now. Leave the food on the floor. He will overcome his fear probably in a day and start venturing out around his enclosure.
He is a very lucky cat.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you found a good trapper. Many of them are brutal. It sounds like you are doing the best that can be expected right now. Leave the food on the floor. He will overcome his fear probably in a day and start venturing out around his enclosure.
He is a very lucky cat.
Hi silent- awww,this boy shoulda never been out there in the first place.. .I can't imagine what 6yrs all alone must've been like.If a cat dared come on this property he'd charge them ,run them off......he watched me with my 4 on leashes since his broken leg( that's actually about 3 yrs)
He just came closer & closer as time went on .When I agreed to take him over is when he finally made Sami his first FRIEND,he loves Sami.... That just might help a lot once he comes out of the cubby🙏❤

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer: I've never dealt with socializing a feral so I may not know what I'm talking about but, if it was me, I'd try on the floor and if Timmy won't eat there, for now, I'd feed wherever he will eat.
Gypsy was the neighborhood stray and sorta socialized herself & us. I was explaining how it came about but it was too long for here so I posted her tail... on Jcatbirds "My feral and rescued cats" thread instead.:wave2:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer: I've never dealt with socializing a feral so I may not know what I'm talking about but, if it was me, I'd try on the floor and if Timmy won't eat there, for now, I'd feed wherever he will eat.
Gypsy was the neighborhood stray and sorta socialized herself & us. I was explaining how it came about but it was too long for here so I posted her tail... on Jcatbirds "My feral and rescued cats" thread instead.:wave2:
Hi Dusty
I will read " wave2" ... Every bit of support & encouragement is a breathe of fresh air- everyone has something to offer that's had kitty cats👍Thank you🤗

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a place that boards cats, and we also have four cats that live there. Our cats are "friendly" (aka nosy) will sit in front of the doors of the cat rooms for guests and upset the visitors, so we hang blankets over the door and pin them on the top, sides, and bottom if necessary so the cat gets used to their surroundings. Without the other cats watching them, they are much more apt to come out and explore their space a little. When the cat seems comfortable with this, and with us, we either take the blanket down completely or fold it over so they can see, but they still have a barrier they can retreat to if they feel overwhelmed. :)
We usually keep tame house cats, and they usually are ready for us to ditch the blanket within a few days. But once, we did board 3 ferals that came in inside live traps because the owners were moving and desperately wanted to take the ferals with them. They had cat trees with blankets on them, and a blanket over their gate with safe "hidey spots" all over. They were only here for a few days, so we never got to work with them much but I give you a lot of credit for doing all the work you're doing for this little cat. :petcat:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy
Thanks so much- yesterday he had his little head out of the top cubby- I pretty much ignored him and talked quietly as I've always reassured him since a yr ago with " it's okaaaay baby,it's okaaaay"....should be a familiar sound
I go to bed quite early so dinner I put on the next tier shelf.... Went to bed,I wake up sometimes before Midnight - he was sitting on the opposite end( not covered) shelf,knocked over a little pot of cat grass) ate nothing,so as I was opening cage door he stealthily & slowly went back to the cubby - removed the food& went back to bed
Now,2:30am he's crying so I went back in living room- he's on the shelf mid cage that's not covered- the half with the cubby shelves are covered- I think I'll just ignore him and talk as I read - 5am was always his breakfast time so I'll try a dish of fresh food then,leave it awhile
Seems to be looking at the TV? The 10hr cat calming music video is playing

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Binxie Binxie

I just think I must've forgotten to hit " post reply" cause I was so excited reading your reply I responded immediately ....and the post isn't here,lol
Well,I have to say "Wow,that's such an encouraging story as your boy was quite aggressive- Timmy isn't,as I'm sure you know the only reason my head suffered an attack is because the dang thing was in his way!!!! Lol
Thank you kindly for sharing your story with me,you really lifted my spirit.....Timmy actually used the litter box this morning,I was quite surprised,I was a bit more concerned about him holding it in ,more so than a lot of other things- he cried a lot this morning and snooped around on different shelves & then I slowly opened the patio doors so he could hear,smell & see a little of outside....he came down on the floor while I sat quietly on the patio,he seemed to be watching me watering all my plants as he has watched me all year outside .....
Another surprise,it wasn't Timmy hissing when my cats walked by,it was my Bella ( no surprise) and Sami,his pal( that was a shocker).....well,now the tables are turned because on the leash Sami was on Timmy's turf & now Timmy is in Sam's territory
Of course the sweetest guy,Max( who wants to be friends with anyone & everyone,all species) sat beside Timmy while he was on the floor watching me on the patio... Sami came by hissing n growling,I felt bad for Timmy cause he looks at Sam so longingly,he looked a little confused why his best friend didn't come by like Max did.....he's not eaten a thing yet but I didn't expect he would yet....it's only day 2🙏❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all,pretty hard to clean a litter box of dirt,any tips? I removed some where I though he went( can't tell) and added a little very fine ( sandy)clumping litter.....I figure it's much like outside where there's sand ( here in Florida)....

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hey all,pretty hard to clean a litter box of dirt,any tips? I removed some where I though he went( can't tell) and added a little very fine ( sandy)clumping litter.....I figure it's much like outside where there's sand ( here in Florida)....
Dirt as in? If he covers his business there should be a mount or if pee there should be some different coloration of the litter.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom
Dirt as in "dirt":from outside,I took the dirt from the area I've seen him do his business when we were out walking... it's nearly inpossible to tell what's what in there . Maybe I should just empty it and go get fresh dirt( as in dirt from outside,lol)? I thought it best the scents he knows to get him to step in that box,Timmy does not fancy stepping into things that resemble a box but he went right in without hesitancy

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Dirt as in "dirt":from outside,I took the dirt from the area I've seen him do his business when we were out walking... it's nearly inpossible to tell what's what in there . Maybe I should just empty it and go get fresh dirt( as in dirt from outside,lol)? I thought it best the scents he knows to get him to step in that box,Timmy does not fancy stepping into things that resemble a box but he went right in without hesitancy
Can you use sieve to sieve out the dirt while still keeping some of his pee scent in the litterbox? It all depends on how much dirt and what kind of dirt you are talking about and sieves with different size hole can do the job.

This is him as we speak,he's looking at me on the patio ..m
Oh, look at that darling face :hearthrob: :redheartpump: His look tells that he know you love him.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom
Regular dirt with some potting soil,yeah good idea ,a sieve is a much better thingy to use than a litter scooper.....I will start adding a little more cat litter everyday to transition......thanks for the suggestion,sounds good
Yeah? Ya think?He's certainly talking like he always has when he wants something.... Meowing & when I look up he's blinking with a cry,he's breaking my heart already!