Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
When do you go to bring Timmy home?
Spoke to Vet around 11- the techs couldn't handle him at all so he wanted to try some oral solution to calm him enough for oxygen with some gas before resorting to sedation - so I probably won't hear until maybe 4pm? Pretty nerve racking but he has to be examined..... my poor baby,he's just terrified of humans

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope this doesn't set him back so much- I'm glad it was so simple putting him in the carrier so thst Im not to be trusted any longer and associated with all this trauma.....still,he'll likely need time.

I already put the others back in one room- he'll have a strange scent and he doesn't need to deal with them or anything but peace in his familiar place when he comes home.... everyone's fine with food,water and litter boxes in there

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
[QUOTE="Kwik, post: 5803658, member: 1

Sucking on an ice cube? Never heard that before!❤
[/QUOTE]
Well it can be a lolly or hard candy or mint or anything as well. But i always suggest ice cube when someone lives alone as its safest for preventing choking. Sucking on something releases a calming hormone. Its whu many anxious people tend to be pen chewers

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked Timmy up,we're home- he's going to be okay- right now I need yo lie down

They were shocked when he saw me ,his ears perked up ,his eyes lit up and a tiny meow..... they said " Wait,is that the same kitty" lol

Anyway,Timmy stretched his head out of the carrier looking to make sure where he was so I scratched his neck and said " it's okay" so he carefully got down from the table and went inside from the patio- no clue where hes hiding- not any of his usual spots so I have a feeling he found a way under the couch-I'm in my bed-wiped out ❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I should mention the eye seems it was viral( uvetis) and appears healed -it dilates okay,he sees fine and there's no infection now...... a few months ago he was sneezing about the time Max had a flare up and then I had them all on lysine supplements- a couple of weeks prior to my surgery I ran out of lysine ( it's possible why the Iris lost color)......Doc thinks we should let him be,if there's any changes I'll notice but he thinks he will be alright - we won't consider the opthamologist at this time

Timmy appears to be in very good health,blood & urine sent out to lab- got his 3,yr shots,eeth are good ,took some tarter off ,spotless ears and his nails are finally trimmed ( $600 bucks later- I can rest)🙏- thank God

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I picked Timmy up,we're home- he's going to be okay- right now I need yo lie down

They were shocked when he saw me ,his ears perked up ,his eyes lit up and a tiny meow..... they said " Wait,is that the same kitty" lol

Anyway,Timmy stretched his head out of the carrier looking to make sure where he was so I scratched his neck and said " it's okay" so he carefully got down from the table and went inside from the patio- no clue where hes hiding- not any of his usual spots so I have a feeling he found a way under the couch-I'm in my bed-wiped out ❤
Good that he's home and I'm sure he was glad to see you. Yes, ears perked up, eyes lit and a little meow that means 'help' :lol: That was sheer assurance for him.
Let him recover from the episode and soon he'll snuggle up to you again and you my friend, have a goof resd too. Don't over stress yourself and keep well for a speedy recovery. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all......Last night I asked Sami "where's Timmy" when he was well hidden- no doubt each one of you have had that sinking feeling when you start second guessing yourself ( could he have gotten out,did I open the door,does the patio have a hole somewhere) ----- absolutely ridiculous but we can get a little crazy over our babies,right?

Sami looked up at my bedroom window everytime I asked,I thought" Cmon Sami,help me out so I can rest easy!" Well,,he was helping.....I asked little Bella and she jumped on the window perch( next to TV stand)& peeked her head behind the TV- thsts where he hid-lol...... they all knew exactly where he was except me so I couldn't really sleep

Once I let the cats out of the front room quickly Timmy was out of hiding -I think he felt more like he was HOME again and he immediately came over to get petted,then I was able to sleep and this morning no Timmy,I noticed him up on the highest cat shelf in the front room- he finally made use of the shelves,lol..... When he spotted me he came down,wanted lots of pets and followed me around...... what a great comeback,real proof of behaviorial reconditioning through love,patience and time

Anyway- of course he's a little cautious as he is just settling back in but he is truly " Timmy the Housecat"-surely we - reenforced his distrust of humans but thsts okay- we'll continue work on going in a carrier , getting picked up and all that good stuff after a break

And now Ill get back to my rehabilitation and focus on myself again....

I wasn't going to get a rabies vaccine because Timmy doesn't go anywhere and he is not registered but Doc said" what if he bites someone?"Yup,didn't think of that and I hardly have people over but you never know if you'll need a plumber or someone and some weird situation arises- so he's good until 2027 & hopefully he'll not need another Vet visit until then!,😍❤😺

I hope this post further encourages others to "give ferals a home" they are just frightened cats that certainly can be reconditioned into " pets" and much more

My Vet said " who would've taken this guy in,he's so lucky you came along "....I said " and visa versa" - Everyone at the Vet office said how cute he is but wondered how his human lives with such a wild cat - DrLief said" he is her lap cat" so when I arrived all the young ladies came out to meet me and ask lots of questions.....they are lovely,it's a wonderful animal clinic -I'd be happy to go there whenever Doc fills in at the place,I thank God for my Vet who completely understands realistically whst an owner can and cannot do- we do the best we can❤

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks y'all......Last night I asked Sami "where's Timmy" when he was well hidden- no doubt each one of you have had that sinking feeling when you start second guessing yourself ( could he have gotten out,did I open the door,does the patio have a hole somewhere) ----- absolutely ridiculous but we can get a little crazy over our babies,right?

Sami looked up at my bedroom window everytime I asked,I thought" Cmon Sami,help me out so I can rest easy!" Well,,he was helping.....I asked little Bella and she jumped on the window perch( next to TV stand)& peeked her head behind the TV- thsts where he hid-lol...... they all knew exactly where he was except me so I couldn't really sleep

Once I let the cats out of the front room quickly Timmy was out of hiding -I think he felt more like he was HOME again and he immediately came over to get petted,then I was able to sleep and this morning no Timmy,I noticed him up on the highest cat shelf in the front room- he finally made use of the shelves,lol..... When he spotted me he came down,wanted lots of pets and followed me around...... what a great comeback,real proof of behaviorial reconditioning through love,patience and time

Anyway- of course he's a little cautious as he is just settling back in but he is truly " Timmy the Housecat"-surely we - reenforced his distrust of humans but thsts okay- we'll continue work on going in a carrier , getting picked up and all that good stuff after a break

And now Ill get back to my rehabilitation and focus on myself again....

I wasn't going to get a rabies vaccine because Timmy doesn't go anywhere and he is not registered but Doc said" what if he bites someone?"Yup,didn't think of that and I hardly have people over but you never know if you'll need a plumber or someone and some weird situation arises- so he's good until 2027 & hopefully he'll not need another Vet visit until then!,😍❤😺

I hope this post further encourages others to "give ferals a home" they are just frightened cats that certainly can be reconditioned into " pets" and much more

My Vet said " who would've taken this guy in,he's so lucky you came along "....I said " and visa versa" - Everyone at the Vet office said how cute he is but wondered how his human lives with such a wild cat - DrLief said" he is her lap cat" so when I arrived all the young ladies came out to meet me and ask lots of questions.....they are lovely,it's a wonderful animal clinic -I'd be happy to go there whenever Doc fills in at the place,I thank God for my Vet who completely understands realistically whst an owner can and cannot do- we do the best we can❤

I guess he had a good rest up on the bookshelf and was glad to see you again.

Yea, thank you for taking Timmy in and it's always a joy to hear people taking in rescues and for giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home.
Every time I play with my boy or see him eat while feeding him or see him sleeping peacefully on his bed, my eyes goes a little teary each time and just wonder, what if I had not rescued him.

Thanks again for taking in Timmy and he is really appreciative of that. And for you, have a good rest and take care of your knee and recover well.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess he had a good rest up on the bookshelf and was glad to see you again.

Yea, thank you for taking Timmy in and it's always a joy to hear people taking in rescues and for giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home.
Every time I play with my boy or see him eat while feeding him or see him sleeping peacefully on his bed, my eyes goes a little teary each time and just wonder, what if I had not rescued him.

Thanks again for taking in Timmy and he is really appreciative of that. And for you, have a good rest and take care of your knee and recover well.
Thank YOU!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Every time I hear, "Oh, ferals can't be transitioned to indoor cats," I cringe. While that MAY be true of a few of them, the issue isn't that the cats cannot be transitioned, the issue is that so few people have the time, boundless patience and overwhelming love to even take it on. And I am not slamming those who can't. It's just that most people don't have hours a day, every day, for weeks or months on end, to devote to a feral cat. And you and Timmy (and your others) are proof of that. It gives me hope.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Every time I hear, "Oh, ferals can't be transitioned to indoor cats," I cringe. While that MAY be true of a few of them, the issue isn't that the cats cannot be transitioned, the issue is that so few people have the time, boundless patience and overwhelming love to even take it on. And I am not slamming those who can't. It's just that most people don't have hours a day, every day, for weeks or months on end, to devote to a feral cat. And you and Timmy (and your others) are proof of that. It gives me hope.
What I have seen is that people don’t seem to have the patience that is required. Everyone wants to force themselves on a terrified cat. It take a long time and the ability to leave them alone until they decide to interact.
Present company excluded from the “everyone” statements.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I especially hate to hear" but all the ",experts " say- they BELONG outside and cannot be domesticated...and then" but it's all over the internet,Google it"

Well,this is one "expert" who disagrees and have spent a huge majority of my life volunteering my own time to teach those " experts " how it is done- it is a process and long one but the fact is all cats ARE domestic animals,this unfortunate darling cats are in a "feral "state,,only their behavior is different because they adapt to their environment,relying on their instincts and not humans

TCS is one of the very very few internet resources where people can get good and accurate information from like minded people who understand the transitioning &reconditioning process- and they are all happy to share their experience
What I have seen is that people don’t seem to have the patience that is required. Everyone wants to force themselves on a terrified cat. It take a long time and the ability to leave them alone until they decide to interact.
Present company excluded from the “everyone” statements.
That's right,there's a huge difference between aggression and FEAR,fear based aggressive behavior doesn't mean a kitty is aggressive and left alone, cats ( probably over in the high 90% range),will opt to avoid until they no longer feel threatened- patience is key

It is certainly not a task for the feint of heart,just isn't for everyone and thsts okay- there are countless cuddly homeless animals sitting in shelters thst need homes as well and the opportunity to be loved ❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So Timmy is doing great,yesterday he was drowsy from the gas and he looked exhausted from the entire ordeal - he cuddled up on the highest cat shelf and had a good long rest sleeping peacefully,the clowder let him be- &when I called him for breakfast he came to eat,got lots of pets and went back to sleep

Towards early evening he was more alert,came looking for me and is getting back to himself,inspecting all of the house and the comforting familiar "scents" of HOME..I brought the carrier back in the house and to my pleasant surprise Timmy took a look inside !

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So Timmy is doing great,yesterday he was drowsy from the gas and he looked exhausted from the entire ordeal - he cuddled up on the highest cat shelf and had a good long rest sleeping peacefully,the clowder let him be- &when I called him for breakfast he came to eat,got lots of pets and went back to sleep

Towards early evening he was more alert,came looking for me and is getting back to himself,inspecting all of the house and the comforting familiar "scents" of HOME..I brought the carrier back in the house and to my pleasant surprise Timmy took a look inside !
688E0FFB-3ACD-4695-BA19-F99B9A8A9A50$L0$001~photo.JPG

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Its so true what Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said- not everyone has the many hours in a day to spend for weeks ,months etc

I have a friend who took in a feral boy- that cat lived behind the toilet in an extra bathroom for over a year- very kind and with good intentions she took the boy in but was terrified of the terrified cat-you do have to be " present " as well and though small confined space is good ,isolation is not good and there's no opportunity for them to desensitize to unfamiliar sounds and activity

3,yrs later the poor cat is a hider,skittish and imo "exists" indoors,safe,fed,out of harms way but not much different from that " stay hidden" mentality of a true feral......anyone afraid of getting bitten or scratched has no business with ferals if ya ask me..