Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Timmy is loaded ,only appt is 3hrs from now- I'm hoping he'll nap until time to leave instead of looking at me with the pathetic face 🙁
He was resting on the chair so I just lifted his front onto the table and guided him in the carrier
So glad you posted, as I was wondering how things were going. Glad he's loaded and ready for his appt. Good luck. :heartshape:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I just brought Sami in - he seems more anxious without seeing Sam
Yea, that's why he wants to get out of the cage and if he sees the rest, it'll be more anxious for him.

Maybe I ought to bring him in and cover him?
Yes, if that will make him calmer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
He started getting very upset- I put Sami away- covered carrier and brought him in - carrier was rocking around so I'm sitting next to him - the only time he stops to relax is seeing me with my finger rubbing under his chin-Im getting very upset for him

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He started getting very upset- I put Sami away- covered carrier and brought him in - carrier was rocking around so I'm sitting next to him - the only time he stops to relax is seeing me with my finger rubbing under his chin-Im getting very upset for him
I know it's so hard to see them so upset. But youre doing the right thing for him.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, so he is at the vet. That is very good. I think if he had the full dose of Gabapentin it may have been less stressful, but you don’t know for sure. Stressed cats get such strong adrenaline rushes that they often over ride any form of sedation until they relax.

I learned along time ago, from working emergency, to compartmentalize. I cannot help an animal in a high stress situation if I can’t get out of my own head. I just kind of take everything emotional and shove it in a box in the back of my mind and go on sort of auto pilot. I do this with my own cats as well and in instances when I have trapped cats that are destroying themselves in a trap. And, they do that.

Probably not the best way to handle emotions, but it does work in order to allow you to do what must be done and not affect the cat. People say they can’t do it, but it can be done. I am an extremely emotional person and very sensitive. Unfortunately emotions and sensitivity get in the way sometimes. I do open the box later on and feel things. It’s kind of hard to explain, but it has to do with grounding and breathing and focusing on one task at a time. Such as open the door, lock the door, etc.

But, the important thing is you got him there and he can now be treated.You needed to know what is going on with him for his sake. He had to go to the vet. No question about that. You did everything right. You covered the carrier and you got him there in one piece. He is there now and once they discover what is going on, you can form a plan for him.

As I am sure you know, when he returns, he will need to decompress for a day at the very least. At this time it is honestly the kindest thing for him if you ignore him. Don’t look at him, kind of act like he isn’t there until he decides to seek you out.

You can’t console a stressed cat. The only thing you can do is leave them alone. You also can’t apologize to a cat. They don’t get it. That being said, years ago I would find myself chasing Cheetah down to hold her and tell her I am sorry. But I realized that was to make me feel better, not her. Now when I get back from the vet, I put the carrier in the living room, open the door and leave for a while, or go into another room. She used to hide a day. Then after a few visits she would skulk around low to the ground and take off if I looked her way. Now she walks out of the carrier and yells at me for food. She was an older extremely feral cat. So, they do adjust on their own terms as you know. Timmy will get used to vet visits and each one will be less stressful. But it takes time.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so he is at the vet. That is very good. I think if he had the full dose of Gabapentin it may have been less stressful, but you don’t know for sure. Stressed cats get such strong adrenaline rushes that they often over ride any form of sedation until they relax.

I learned along time ago, from working emergency, to compartmentalize. I cannot help an animal in a high stress situation if I can’t get out of my own head. I just kind of take everything emotional and shove it in a box in the back of my mind and go on sort of auto pilot. I do this with my own cats as well and in instances when I have trapped cats that are destroying themselves in a trap. And, they do that.

Probably not the best way to handle emotions, but it does work in order to allow you to do what must be done and not affect the cat. People say they can’t do it, but it can be done. I am an extremely emotional person and very sensitive. Unfortunately emotions and sensitivity get in the way sometimes. I do open the box later on and feel things. It’s kind of hard to explain, but it has to do with grounding and breathing and focusing on one task at a time. Such as open the door, lock the door, etc.

But, the important thing is you got him there and he can now be treated.You needed to know what is going on with him for his sake. He had to go to the vet. No question about that. You did everything right. You covered the carrier and you got him there in one piece. He is there now and once they discover what is going on, you can form a plan for him.

As I am sure you know, when he returns, he will need to decompress for a day at the very least. At this time it is honestly the kindest thing for him if you ignore him. Don’t look at him, kind of act like he isn’t there until he decides to seek you out.

You can’t console a stressed cat. The only thing you can do is leave them alone. You also can’t apologize to a cat. They don’t get it. That being said, years ago I would find myself chasing Cheetah down to hold her and tell her I am sorry. But I realized that was to make me feel better, not her. Now when I get back from the vet, I put the carrier in the living room, open the door and leave for a while, or go into another room. She used to hide a day. Then after a few visits she would skulk around low to the ground and take off if I looked her way. Now she walks out of the carrier and yells at me for food. She was an older extremely feral cat. So, they do adjust on their own terms as you know. Timmy will get used to vet visits and each one will be less stressful. But it takes time.
Well if nothing else that's something I'm very good ,containing my emotions in body language,voice,vibes etc.....I guess it's why I've always done well with volatile animals- especially Stallions and wild animals or I would've had to find another profession- lol

After the fact and to myself is an entirely different scenario- thats why I started shaking like a leaf after he was where he needed to be and I got back in my car..

If it were not for TCS my ulcer would've been bleeding because I let zero out - when I was in my mid 20s I learned how to lower my blood pressure and heart rate by focusing..... enough about me,I only care about Timmy's well being .... when he comes home the carrier will be placed exactly where it was taken from- all the cats will be in the front room and he can come inside when he wants to.....

Thats another thing to share for anyone teaching their pets to be transported- always put them back where they are familiar-some people suggest letting them decompress in a quiet room but if it's unfamiliar to them they will be more reluctant the next time and associate the carrier with an unsafe place.Same as anything,familiar scent and sound before sight with kitties

Anyway-,I appreciate y'all and it's not so bad thinking out loud and letting people in- that's something I learned from joining TCS starting with dear @tabbytom,my first welcomer and friend.Id never imagined Id be sharing my feelings with anyone.....it's really nice and I'm grateful to be part of this Community❤

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well if nothing else that's something I'm very good ,containing my emotions in body language,voice,vibes etc.....I guess it's why I've always done well with volatile animals- especially Stallions and wild animals or I would've had to find another profession- lol

After the fact and to myself is an entirely different scenario- thats why I started shaking like a leaf after he was where he needed to be and I got back in my car..

If it were not for TCS my ulcer would've been bleeding because I let zero out - when I was in my mid 20s I learned how to lower my blood pressure and heart rate by focusing..... enough about me,I only care about Timmy's well being .... when he comes home the carrier will be placed exactly where it was taken from- all the cats will be in the front room and he can come inside when he wants to.....

Thats another thing to share for anyone teaching their pets to be transported- always put them back where they are familiar-some people suggest letting them decompress in a quiet room but if it's unfamiliar to them they will be more reluctant the next time and associate the carrier with an unsafe place.Same as anything,familiar scent and sound before sight with kitties

Anyway-,I appreciate y'all and it's not so bad thinking out loud and letting people in- that's something I learned from joining TCS starting with dear @tabbytom,my first welcomer and friend.Id never imagined Id be sharing my feelings with anyone.....it's really nice and I'm grateful to be part of this Community❤
I’m sorry, I misunderstood. I thought he was in the car when you were shaking and crying. Didn’t realize he was already at the vet and it was just you.
Stallions. Yeah, you have to completely cover up anything that resembles emotion with them. Any horse really, but mares always seem to be more tolerant of me and the mistakes I still make around horses.

I did have one late cut gelding make me his b$&@$ about 6 months ago. I honestly wanted to climb a fence to get away from him. I tried to keep my cool but he saw right through that. He is a beautiful Andalusian from a charro situation. Still he was such a scary horse when he figured out I was afraid of him. I love him but will never touch him again.
Sorry, off topic.
Great point about putting the carrier back from where it came. You just let them get back to normal at their own pace.
You and Timmy will do fine. I know it.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry, I misunderstood. I thought he was in the car when you were shaking and crying. Didn’t realize he was already at the vet and it was just you.
Stallions. Yeah, you have to completely cover up anything that resembles emotion with them. Any horse really, but mares always seem to be more tolerant of me and the mistakes I still make around horses.

I did have one late cut gelding make me his b$&@$ about 6 months ago. I honestly wanted to climb a fence to get away from him. I tried to keep my cool but he saw right through that. He is a beautiful Andalusian from a charro situation. Still he was such a scary horse when he figured out I was afraid of him. I love him but will never touch him again.
Sorry, off topic.
Great point about putting the carrier back from where it came. You just let them get back to normal at their own pace.
You and Timmy will do fine. I know it.
Quite alright to be off Topic with me in Timmy's thread when it comes to horses ,lol

Sounds like a job I'd take in a second- give me a real mean Stallion any day and you can have the mares! If a Stallion is nasty he's nasty everyday- a mare? Msybe a sweetheart on Monday and Tuesday she's on the rampage- rofl

In the last 20 yrs I work only with Stallions,problem boys.... I don't see them as " the problem" though- can't wait to be done with this knee recovery- there's a couple of clients that have some interesting Stallion situations that caught my interest

Well horses are far the easiest animals imo,,they are the least intelligent so therefore the easiest to train--- cats on the other hand,they're pretty slick ..... plus horses can't hide under a stove- rofl

Love Andalusions- I usually get called for the Trakkainers ( for haute ecole)- but boy are the Andalusions a nice ride,they'll make anyone look like they've got a good seat-beautiful animals

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully you can do something for yourself to regulate your nervous system too. Wrapping yourself tightly in a blanket or suckingnon an ice cube are good options.

Youre still healing too, so regulating your nervous system will be beneficial 🥰

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully you can do something for yourself to regulate your nervous system too. Wrapping yourself tightly in a blanket or suckingnon an ice cube are good options.

Youre still healing too, so regulating your nervous system will be beneficial 🥰
For sure,will do it(I love being wrapped like a cacoon!

You're right though- both my PT and physician were both talking to me about high stressful situations when I told them why I had to cancel therapy and my own DrAppt last minute because I moved Timmys appt - they were worried I might pull a muscle or strain a tendon or something but I assured them I would not be chasing Timmy or trying to get myself in strenuous positions - a one shot at it or stop

Sucking on an ice cube? Never heard that before!❤