Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding a feral, TNRed cat for a couple of years, since the owner of the house he lives (lived) under sold it and moved away. Two years of slow blinking at him, and he still won't let me anywhere near. The new owner is about to have the underside of the house treated for termites, so last Friday I trapped Rusty and brought him inside my home. He's in my cat room alone right now.

He was quiet the first night, destroyed the lovely, but not-sturdy-enough, cat shelter I'd made for him the second night, knocked over a huge scratching post the third night. Last night he was quiet. He hides under a dresser during the day, but comes out once in a while to look at me through the glass doors. Since he's eating and using the litter box, all's well at the moment. I'm hoping he'll adjust to living indoors and get along with the two cats who normally use that room.

Timmy's reaction to being confined will probably be different. There are no cookie-cutter cats, so I don't think the woman you spoke with can predict what will happen with any authority. I do sympathize with your anxiety, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
That's right poolcat- I'm going for it,I've socialized much worse than Timmy and he'll just have to adapt,however long it takes--- honestly,if I could trust him to use a litter box he could run wild in the house and do whatever he pleases, hide all day- I'm gonna figure out some kind of cage for the screens on my patio too & I'm having a double door built behind my front door to the house .... I'll do whatever it takes ,he has to be confined,I wish I had a room for him but I don't
Yours will come around,if he's out looking at you through those doors and using the litter box- bravo!!!!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey poolcat,how do you go in & out of that room? He doesn't try to get out?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Timmy btw...he's the one lying on everyone's leashes IMG_20221126_070358277.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She's telling me with Timmy going beserk to get out of the house after meals that he's just not ready to be confined,he's going to freak out,be stressed,never trust me again and I should reconsider because he will not do well in the least
Timmy may or may not go berserk, we can't tell. Place some of your clean unwashed non perfumed garments in the enclosure and when you go pick him up from the vet, place some of your garments into the carrier with him so that he has your scents and when he reached home and enter the enclosure, there's familiar scents and the scents are yours and so he'll associate it with you.

Have some calming cat music playing in the background. If you don't have any, here's the link :-
Just don't rush through things and let Timmy come on terms at his own. Do it step by step and make sure Timmy earns your trust.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
TabbyTom....you continue to be an inspiration and I've been up all night ,crying,pacing and besides myself- you just have no idea how much it means to me that you are talking with me,being kind and supportive,I've never met anyone like you

And the others here,very special people,every one- can I tell you I didn't even consider taking Timmy in because I was diagnosed with lung cancer,started worrying sick for all my fur babies ...then 3 mos ago I got good reports from both oncologists & figured,hey- I'm gonna be around awhile,my works not finished

Thank you again TT,you give me hope- many people do like to take your hope,your joy,your peace- perhaps it's because they cannot succeed where others can because we want it bad enough?I pray,it works!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay,I won't. Now just gotta get him in that trap in 4hts- I'm sooooo nervous.....my friend just called &:wants to come over to help,I'm thinking it might make matters worse, what do you think?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Okay,I won't. Now just gotta get him in that trap in 4hts- I'm sooooo nervous.....my friend just called &:wants to come over to help,I'm thinking it might make matters worse, what do you think?
A second help is good but try not to make Timmy nervous. Get down on your fours and make yourselves smaller and no sudden moves. Standing tall will intimidate him.
Have treats, food and toys in hand and slowly entice him. If you see any folded ears or blown up tail, backup.
Give him space and time to calm down.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
A second help is good but try not to make Timmy nervous. Get down on your fours and make yourselves smaller and no sudden moves. Standing tall will intimidate him.
Have treats, food and toys in hand and slowly entice him. If you see any folded ears or blown up tail, backup.
Give him space and time to calm down.
:thud:
That's the whole problem,knees are completely gone & I cannot get down on the ground,can't squat,can't kneel,I can only bend over at the waist....
I've decided I'm going to go for the gusto,sleeve up,long pants and grab him for the carrier head first- my friend will hopefully be a help and not a hindrance.....no trap,it's too noisy

As he begins eating I'll grab his front and try to maneuver as quickly as possible .. .seems the best option and with a tiny Miracle it will go as planned:dunno:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Well guys,quickly because I'm on my way to the ER- I really shouldve known better but I had a friend over to assist with carrier- it was fine,I picked him up and into the carrier except the girl did not secure the carrier- Timmy bolted as I had nowhere to put him and long story short after second time she failed to respond as I showed her with the carrier he leaped onto my head clawing & I'm bleeding profusely,ignored that and corralled him into the bathroom,he's locked in there- have no idea what to do as I'm now the enemy
Guys,I need to go,left a few msgs with some trappers that have proper gear,equipment and are not crippled like me,it was a complete fail,can't talk about it right now because I can't see beyond my tears to type- sorry
The old gray mare ain't what she used to be ,I don't even know what to do - it's not good to get old & debilitated,what a situation- now what?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Stopped at my Vet on the way here(ER) they will text him ..???
A trapper replied,said the mgr will call me back because he deals with cats....
I can't give up although it'd be a much easier solution,how could I ?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you in California? Do you have another bathroom? If you do, I would let Timmy stay in the bathroom and leave him alone for now.
Things I have learned about ferals are
Gloves don’t work
They are tiny but will injure themselves to get away.
All they want to do is escape
When frightened they honestly think you are trying to kill them.
If you fail once, quit. Don’t do anything with an upset cat

I am sorry you got hurt. I have never had any luck with people helping me. They never understand the speed in which you must move. I hope you are feeling better.

I am in California and if your not to far I could help you, but California is a big state.

if you can, leave him alone for a good while. Let him get hungry. There is no oral medication that will help when he is agitated.

I’m so sorry this happened. He won’t starve in 12 to 24 hours and it’s easier to manage a hungry cat.

if you do use Gabapentin, 100 mg isn’t going to touch him. I would speak to your vet about using the maximum amount.

Be careful of trappers. Ask what their plan is.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry you got hurt. S silent meowlook is right, a cat that frightened does react like that because they feel their life is in danger. I wish there was some universal language we could all speak verbally so we could explain that we're trying to help them and what we're going to have to do in order to accomplish it. :hugs: