Timmy,7yr old TNR true feral! COLD TURKEY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like the idea of going all the way up with the cage panels,I'd need only 4 24"x24" panels them,the only problem is it can take at least 3 days or longer to get here so that's okay,I'll get over to home Depot for now & figure a more stable set up later plus I'm kinda running low on funds til after the 1st,lol.....even if I could get my cousin back to construct something 72"high out of plywood w on just 2 sides with a top ,use cage panels as a gate......might work,it's all big enough to where I can see him,a little 2ft of wood in front will be fine.
What kind of netting were you thinking? I'm going to leave to shop shortly

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What kind of netting were you thinking? I'm going to leave to shop shortly
Nettings like this :- it's some kind of fish net but it's heavy duty. Not those on a handle.
images-2.jpeg images.jpeg

Maybe temporary you can use netting for the top till the extra cage panels arrive.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
TT- I've got it!!! I bought 8 panel playpen,3 panels are perfect for a little hallway,I can take 3 more panels,attach them to the enclosure height,get a 2x2ft piece of wood for top & voila! Think that's good?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
TT- I've got it!!! I bought 8 panel playpen,3 panels are perfect for a little hallway,I can take 3 more panels,attach them to the enclosure height,get a 2x2ft piece of wood for top & voila! Think that's good?
Sounds good! But make sure all fixtures are cat safe so the cats won't get injured and sturdy.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Tie wraps,no nails or screws- I can drill holes through the wood( or just use a tarp still)and attach everything with plastic ties---- yeah? Ya think?

Last edited by a moderator:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Tie wraps,no nails or screws- I can drill holes through the wood( or just use a tarp still)and attach everything with times---- yeah? Ya think?
Zip ties are sharp when you snip off at the end. It'll be safer if left uncut and facing out of the cage.

You can't edit your post now as you you've just joined the site. You need to be a Young Cat with 20 posts and 5 days of membership before you can edit your posts :- Promotions and Benefits

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn’t try to wrangle him with gloves etc. Cats can turn themselves inside out and if he gets away after that you won’t see him for a long while.

I would try to get him inside before trying any attempt to get him in a carrier. A large blanket can be thrown over him but you would have to be fast. Not sure how you can get him in the carrier.

He won’t go in a trap?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks TT- I'll be a young cat soon enough,I'm bad with typing so you'll have to beat with my typos until I can edut

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi silent- thanks ,he will be inside the house,that where he eats.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
According to what I've read, turning a carrier door-side up and lowering the cat into it feet first is an easier way to get a cat into it. But my experience says that doesn't work well with any but the most docile cats. I pick up the cat, hold both front legs together with one hand, and stuff kitty into the carrier head first. The faster the better. Don't give the cat time to grab onto the door or outside of the carrier.

Can you strap the carrier securely to one of the waist level shelves? That would be easier for you to reach than having it on the floor. I agree that gloves aren't a good idea.... but long sleeves, yes!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
According to what I've read, turning a carrier door-side up and lowering the cat into it feet first is an easier way to get a cat into it. But my experience says that doesn't work well with any but the most docile cats. I pick up the cat, hold both front legs together with one hand, and stuff kitty into the carrier head first. The faster the better. Don't give the cat time to grab onto the door or outside of the carrier.

Can you strap the carrier securely to one of the waist level shelves? That would be easier for you to reach than having it on the floor. I agree that gloves aren't a good idea.... but long sleeves, yes!
Hi poolcat
I agree and I have been getting him used to picking up his front end( hands around his chest & arms) Ive always gone head first with the squirrelly ones but I don't trust myself these days- what about a 2nd person,a friend said she'd sleep over & stay hid until capture time,If she could just hold the carrier?There's no shelves,counters,nothing,it'll take place in my hallway by the front door.....

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
the 4ft panels together were way too hard for me to do so I ordered 2 ft panels to bring height up to enclosure roof---- got some 1x2's to bring up to that height temporarily and to support the panel extensions when the come(June 6th)....took TabbyToms advice & left all cable ties uncut ,attached panels to enclosure with eye screws,bought a tarp to temporarily cover top.....here's the work in progress
Oh,also I realized a 2x2 square to open door would certainly fit the door but where would I go-rofl....here's what I've come up with so far...
IMG_20230530_124153932.jpg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow is the big day . I've been calling feral organizations for working cats for a yr,nobody has responded & just now a lady from California "Friends of felines or ferals" , something like that and I'm very upset,really has a negative phone call
She's telling me with Timmy going beserk to get out of the house after meals that he's just not ready to be confined,he's going to freak out,be stressed,never trust me again and I should reconsider because he will not do well in the least
I suspect he will freak out but forever stressed ? Oh God help me,I'm praying about this for months and I can't leave him out their with the present situation of neighbors,etc ..

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've no doubt you'll hear from a few folks here who disagree with that person. My 2p... trust your instincts and do what you think needs to be done.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
... what about a 2nd person,a friend said she'd sleep over & stay hid until capture time,If she could just hold the carrier?
A second person might be helpful, as long as seeing someone new doesn't frighten Timmy.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Poolcat- thanks
I've been literally losing sleep over this for months,without a doubt he's not ready to stay indoors and of course he's going to hate confinement - yet what choice do I really have?Ive got neighbors that poison the squirrels,kill the ducks,kill iguana & want the bylaws to include no feeding strays ...they'll poison him next,they are very mean and sadistic ..not to mention the cars racing through the parking lot- I fear his time is short out there
It took me a year to get this far with him,it might take another year in an enclosure before he trusts me again and can be loose in the house....I'm so troubled by this situation

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah,"Forgotten Felines"....that's the place,their overflowing with ferals waiting for placement.....I should have asked,where are they? Probably cages,right?