Timing For Worming And Flea Applications

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

Our 16-week-old kitties got Paragard Allwormer (for Hook, Round, and Tape Worms) and Frontline Plus Flea Treatment on July 23rd.

I recently bought Droncit Tapewormer Tablets and Advocate Orange (covers everything except tapeworm) for more comprehensive care.

However, Paragard Allwormer remains effective for 3 months, so if I give them Advocate Orange on/after August 23rd (one month after the last flea treatment, would I be overdosing for Hook and Round Worms? If so, we should give them Frontline Plus Flea Treatment for the next two months, and then switch to Advocate Orange and Droncit, even though that means our kitties will not be protected from Mites and Heart Worm until then.

They are indoor cats for now and only go out in the backyard under our supervision. I don't see any fleas on them at the moment.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness, makes me glad I don't have little ones!
Do you have a vet you're comfortable talking with? That might a good thing from a couple perspectives, including that you'd be keeping the vet clinic in the loop/aware of what you're doing :)

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I would go with skipping the heartworm and mite coverage for two months, since they are mostly indoor.

The hard way would be to check what each of the meds contains, check the mode of action and see that you don’t overlap meds with similar modes of action.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

I've found this supplementary report which states,
"During treatment with Advocate no other antiparasitic macrocyclic lactone should be administered. No interactions between Advocate and routinely used veterinary medicinal products or medical or surgical procedures have been observed."

But just to be safe, I will go with Frontline Plus for the next two months.