Timed feeder, puzzle feeder, or is my cat just a vegetarian?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm into my second week of being out of the apartment from about 7:30 to 4:30.

I feed Delilah wet about 7am and leave her a serving of kibble for later. Then I feed her wet when I get home. I don't know when she eats her dry, but I'm noticing her cat grass is getting smaller. Today it was pretty noticeable. This is what was left today.

20200922_184644.jpg

I would estimate she ate over a quarter of the plant.

I don't want to free feed with a bowl of kibble. She has a treat ball that I put kibble in but she tends to ignore it.

Would I be better off getting her a puzzle feeder, or should I just get a timed feeder? Or should I just accept the fact that my cat prefers salad?

And if you think I'm joking, she loves grass so much her favorite toy is fake grass on a stick.

20200922_225228.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you put the cat grass out of reach so your cat isn't snacking on it between meals? Eating that much grass is kind of unusual. Your cat may be doing out of boredom since you are no longer at home all day. Cats don't really like changes in their daily routine.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think it would hurt her unless she starts throwing up. She most likely snacks on it all throughout the day. You could leave more of a weight management kibble out if you are worried about extra calories, my cats love Science Diet weight management. a few more weeks and she will get used to the new schedule and maybe won't be so bored and eating everything in site.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm less worried about her eating the grass (at least until she throws up), but I'd rather she have her food. I don't want her to gain weight from free feeding by leaving her kibble out.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert but I've never heard of a cat eating too much just because it's there like a dog would. I leave a cup of dry food out for my two and there is always about half left in the bowl.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert but I've never heard of a cat eating too much just because it's there like a dog would. I leave a cup of dry food out for my two and there is always about half left in the bowl.
It's quite common in cats. Dry food is high in carbs and causes weight gain on its own in the first place... leaving it out for free-feeding just exacerbates it. Some cats will self-regulate, but some will eat too much.

It could be that she just doesn't want to bother with the ball. You could try using a timed feeder. Or, just measure out the amount of dry food you want her to eat for the day and only leave that amount out.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's quite common in cats. Dry food is high in carbs and causes weight gain on its own in the first place... leaving it out for free-feeding just exacerbates it. Some cats will self-regulate, but some will eat too much.

It could be that she just doesn't want to bother with the ball. You could try using a timed feeder. Or, just measure out the amount of dry food you want her to eat for the day and only leave that amount out.
Guess I've always been lucky and gotten cats who weren't into dry food that much as to eat too much. Most of mine would grab a few bites and walk away.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I know you just moved and she loves grass, but has she seen a vet to rule out medical (stress from the move/disruption in routine could potentially cause GI upset, which could lead to nausea, which could lead to increased grass consumption)?

Can you clarify how much of her food she is eating? I’m confused on this part. Is she eating the wet and not the dry? How much of each are you feeding her and what is her weight?

What kind of cat grass are you using? If it’s catnip, try sprinkling some dried catnip on her food.

The most important thing is that kitty is getting enough calories. If that means free feeding until you figure out what’s going on, then do that.

A cat won’t be too interested in a puzzle feeder if she’s not food motivated as is (or at least not motivated enough with the specific food).

If she’s eating the wet but not the dry, then you could always get a timed wet food feeder (or set out a frosty bowl or similar with an additional serving along with the bowl you set out for breakfast) and switch to wet only if that’s within your budget.

Dearjujubebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you can buy an automatic timing feeder for your cat. If she likes grass, you can put the grass at one certain meal. While, put the cat food for other meals. In this way, every meal of every day can be matched with nutrition. It is more conducive to the cat's health.