Time for a cat behaviorist...

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
What was the idea suggested about scheduled feedings?
(I'll have to read back, into your thread, since I don't remember.)
Is it because cats like routines?

Isn't that kind of difficult, being that college students have all sorts of different daily schedules?
(unless you get a timed feeder...but I thought those were expensive.)
Anyhow, yes, it's better to ask the members in the nutrition forum. You'll get more focused advice.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had taught her! She just did it a couple times!
lol. So will Ophelia sit or walk on your back, if you happen to be laying on your stomach, in bed?

Is Ophelia more the type of cat that likes being on the ground, or prefers climbing and being up high?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kvla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What was the idea suggested about scheduled feedings?
(I'll have to read back, into your thread, since I don't remember.)
Is it because cats like routines?

Isn't that kind of difficult, being that college students have all sorts of different daily schedules?
(unless you get a timed feeder...but I thought those were expensive.)
Anyhow, yes, it's better to ask the members in the nutrition forum. You'll get more focused advice.
I think it was to provide a routine and so that I'm associated with positive things like food. It is a little difficult, but I'll never have a class or work before 8am, and I tend to be home by 10pm most nights. If there's an odd day out, I would plan on asking my roommate to feed her. Next year we're moving to a bigger place with more roommates, so that'll be easier too.

lol. So will Ophelia sit or walk on your back, if you happen to be laying on your stomach, in bed?

Is Ophelia more the type of cat that likes being on the ground, or prefers climbing and being up high?
No, she won't. She will never sit on my stomach or in my lap, and doesn't sit on my back very often. She does walk next to me in bed, when she's "making rounds" around the rooms. Sometimes I pet her when she walks by me, sometimes I just watch. She hardly ever will stop on the bed though. I came home for winter break and I woke up to her sleeping between my legs for the first time, just like she does with my roommate every night. I'm trying to think of why. Part of me thought because my roommate changes her sheets weekly, while I don't change mine as often (bi-weekly usually), so I thought because it's cleaner. The detergent I use at my apartment is different than the one at home too. But, I'm still thinking on it! Lol

I would say that she likes both. She really likes hiding underneath furniture and in bags and boxes hidden away, but also really likes to sleep at the highest point in her cat tree and loves to climb up on the windowsill. I think she enjoys being high up slightly more, because she's not able to do that as often, but for the most part I don't see much difference between the two.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think of that! I love to sit on the floor haha, but I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'll make sure not to sit on the floor as much as I can help it unless I'm playing with her, at least for while we're working on bonding and our routine.

Many dogs at the jobs I've had, have had things called slow-down feeders to help when dogs eat their meals too fast, I never really thought of them as working the mind, but now that I think of certain slow-down feeders I can see it. I also saw most of them as costing a lot of money, but after going through that thread, looking on Pinterest and other research, I realize now that you can make your own! I excitedly finished a roll of toilet paper, folded it up, and cut out holes. I poured the dry food in and I left it out. She didn't touch it much and I think it was because she wasn't hungry. I've been working on getting her back on a feeding schedule since then. It sucks though pulling the wet food when she doesn't eat it, just because it's expensive. And usually I finish a can a day, but with pulling the bowls at certain times she hasn't been eating a can of wet food a day. It worries me that she isn't eating as much and it sucks when the wet food goes bad. Is it okay to wrap it and put it in the fridge until the next feeding do you think? I've also been feeding her 4 times a day because the thread I read to start with 8-10 meals a day if you can, but with winter break here I'll be home a lot more to monitor her eating. They also recommend I leave out a bowl of dry food at night, but I'm not sure that would help transition her because she might want to wait until nighttime to eat the dry food. Should I post about this in the Cat Nutrition forum?

Sometimes it really does feel like she loves me! Here's the picture of her on my back :)
View attachment 312472

The bite hurt like a 6-7. The deep wound I got from a cat at work that bit me, I didn't feel much I think because of adrenaline, so I couldn't compare it to that. The bites she's done on me in the past haven't stung past the initial bite. I left to go to a class for an hour, and when I was coming back my arms still stung to the touch. The biggest scratch still hurts to touch. Most of them disappeared, but there a couple scratches still on my arm that don't hurt at all. Those are more normal to what I would usually get.
View attachment 312473 View attachment 312474

In an attempt to avoid using a stern voice, or coming off as angry or threatening to her, I started saying "hey" in a calm way that usually got her attention in the past, to get her to stop and look up at me for a minute while I quickly grab a toy or laser and get her to play for a couple minutes. We've gotten really good at this lately and have been able to redirect her biting quickly almost everytime. I noticed sometimes now when she rolls over on my foot to bunny-kick, she won't bite my ankle, she'll simple do the action with no teeth. Now, if I were to reach down for her she would probably jump up and bite my hand. I do have one of those bunny-kicking toys, but she was only interested in it when there was catnip in it, now she could care less lol. I keep thinking I should have my mom open it and sew it back so I can refill it.

Since that incident, I've been moving very slow around her and talking in a sweet voice and it's seemed to help. When she comes up on my laptop, even if I'm not doing anything important, she steps on all my keys and sometimes toggles things on and off like my keyboard, which sends me on an adventure to figure out how to fix it. I've been trying to redirect her off of my laptop too. Knowing that it probably means she wants my attention and in an attempt to not let my cat break my laptop, I've been leading her off with a toy or the laser. She will follow that laser pointer anywhere so it's pretty helpful in redirecting I found! lol

I'm worried about two things:
1. This laser pointer has been really good at getting her back from dangerous situations, like when she's escaped outside or when I need to quickly bring her into a room, but can't catch her. We had a routine at one point of playing laser everyday for like 30-40 minutes right before bed. When I would lay down, I would often catch her sitting on the ground just watching me, waiting for me to take the laser pointer out. It was super cute and only took a couple days before she started to do that. Like the other toys she's had, the sparkly balls, the bunny-kick, certain wand attachments, she gets bored of it. Would she tire out of the laser pointer if I use it so much throughout the day to redirect her?
2. Also, somebody had mentioned that you can build a cat's stamina the same way you can build a dog's. Since learning that, I've been afraid to play with her more than an hour to an hour and a half everyday. How likely is that to happen? I don't want to make the situation worse by getting an every more energetic cat that needs even more playtime. I also don't want to cheat her of getting enough exercise and playtime.

Thank you!
I'm sorry you're having to deal with the back and forth, but unfortunately that's how it tends to be. Any sort of training usually starts getting better, then gets worse, then better... Especially with something that's become so ingrained. She has feel things out and figure out what it is you're wanting from her. That means testing boundaries and trying things to see how you react. She doesn't understand why things are changing. That can also cause some frustration and she doesn't know how to handle that frustration.

I started my cats with the toilet paper rolls. I duck taped the ends and cut two decent sized holes so that it was pretty easy for them. They took to it surprisingly well, but that's not to say every cat will. Then I made new ones with smaller holes. It's not the prettiest thing, but it works.

For the kickeroo, you could keep two or three of them and have one in a bag of catnip. Then change them out when she starts getting bored with one.

As far as the laser light goes, it's possible she'll lose some interest in it, but she sounds a bit like my cat. Ember loses interest in everything pretty quickly except the laser light. If she won't play with anything else, she'll usually play with the laser light. Sometimes she does lose interest in it, but usually only temporarily. The next day she'll be back at it. I would try to find something else that your cat really likes to at least have a backup for those times she isn't interested in the laser light. You could also switch them out every so often just to keep her interest.

I would love to hear from other what they think about the possibility of building her stamina with too much play because it's not something I have a lot of knowledge on, but thought it was worth mentioning. However, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you aren't setting yourself up to have to do too much. Try to stick with an amount you know you can handle now and in the future. I think an hour to and hour and a half is plenty of play. It's important to try to keep it to as much of a schedule as you can though because then she can learn to expect play and her body can start naturally getting those bursts of energy at those times.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it was to provide a routine and so that I'm associated with positive things like food. It is a little difficult, but I'll never have a class or work before 8am, and I tend to be home by 10pm most nights. If there's an odd day out, I would plan on asking my roommate to feed her. Next year we're moving to a bigger place with more roommates, so that'll be easier too.
Thanks. That makes sense.
I came home for winter break and I woke up to her sleeping between my legs for the first time, just like she does with my roommate every night. I'm trying to think of why. Part of me thought because my roommate changes her sheets weekly, while I don't change mine as often (bi-weekly usually), so I thought because it's cleaner. The detergent I use at my apartment is different than the one at home too. But, I'm still thinking on it! Lol
Nice.:biggrin: You probably woke up and wondered what that warm, unmovable type of object was at first. haha. :cloud9: :blush: :lovecat2:
(My cats don't like it when I toss from one side to the other. (I'm a side-sleeper)) But yeah, it does take me for a surprise when I roll over, and one cat is by my legs (female)....the male likes to sleep by my head. Never at the same time, though.

Yes, it could be the detergent smell. And like you mentioned, I did notice that my cats do like to 'scent mark' newly washed cat beds, cat blankets, and human bedding, too. But my cats also like the dog bed....so I cannot really figure it out either.
I think you might be on to something, with that 'type of detergent', and the timing of the washing of the sheets, though.:think:
I would say that she likes both. She really likes hiding underneath furniture and in bags and boxes hidden away, but also really likes to sleep at the highest point in her cat tree and loves to climb up on the windowsill. I think she enjoys being high up slightly more, because she's not able to do that as often, but for the most part I don't see much difference between the two.
Yeah, my cats like both, too. Height and floor, depending upon the day. I find it fascinating that they can jump so well, without knocking things down...usually. (Sometimes they knock things down. :lol: Nothing important anyhow. :hide:)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I never really thought of the 'slow-down feeders', or 'food puzzles' as working the mind, either. :think:
I'm glad that Animal Freak Animal Freak posted those ideas.

(I'm actually using her method now, of the 1-2-3, observing, entertaining, training,...to teach my 7 year old, big black lab/retriever dog, to actually 'let the ball go'...after he goes and fetches it. My dog does not like to let it go,...he just wants you to chase him, to get it.:lol:)

(I like it when someone mentions ideas, and breaks them down in simple steps. It's easier for me to follow it, then.) :)
I don't want to derail the thread, but if you have any questions about dog training, you can feel free to ask me. I'm no expert, but have been learning a lot and even if there's something I don't know I can help you find a resource to learn from.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Any sort of training usually starts getting better, then gets worse, then better... Especially with something that's become so ingrained. She has feel things out and figure out what it is you're wanting from her. That means testing boundaries and trying things to see how you react. She doesn't understand why things are changing. That can also cause some frustration and she doesn't know how to handle that frustration.
That makes total sense about the training....'the getting better, then worse, then better' part.
Also about the frustration. And our animals not understanding why things are changing.
I never thought of it from my animal's point of view. This helps a lot. :think:
For the kickeroo, you could keep two or three of them and have one in a bag of catnip. Then change them out when she starts getting bored with one.
I wondered if either of you two... Animal Freak Animal Freak or Kvla Kvla ....could tell me about how your cats react to catnip?
(I've never given it to my cats, because I thought it would get them super-hyper?)
Does catnip not make cats super-hyper? :dunno:
I would love to hear from other what they think about the possibility of building her stamina with too much play because it's not something I have a lot of knowledge on, but thought it was worth mentioning. However, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you aren't setting yourself up to have to do too much. Try to stick with an amount you know you can handle now and in the future. I think an hour to and hour and a half is plenty of play. It's important to try to keep it to as much of a schedule as you can though because then she can learn to expect play and her body can start naturally getting those bursts of energy at those times.
I don't really have any knowledge on the 'building the stamina part' either.

But yes, I think one hour of play would be okay, broken up into the day...say twenty minute sessions...or multiple ten minute sessions.
I suppose younger cats could use a little more, so 90 minutes is okay.

But definitely agree, with you Animal Freak Animal Freak ...that Kvla Kvla ...does not need to do 3 hours. That seems way too much.
Since she'd be throwing in more 'food puzzles' and making other types of toys,....then that would be easier on everyone.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to derail the thread, but if you have any questions about dog training, you can feel free to ask me. I'm no expert, but have been learning a lot and even if there's something I don't know I can help you find a resource to learn from.
Thank you so much. I'll PM you, ...then set up my own thread in the 'other pets and animals forum'.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes total sense about the training....'the getting better, then worse, then better' part.
Also about the frustration. And our animals not understanding why things are changing.
I never thought of it from my animal's point of view. This helps a lot. :think:
That's the trend I noticed in training my dog. I think it's more obvious with the dog because she's used to training and tends to learn commands quicker. There's always ups and down. Even when she seems to be getting it, all of a sudden she acts like she's never heard of the command before.

I wondered if either of you two... Animal Freak Animal Freak Animal Freak Animal Freak or Kvla Kvla Kvla Kvla ....could tell me about how your cats react to catnip?
(I've never given it to my cats, because I thought it would get them super-hyper?)
Does catnip not make cats super-hyper? :dunno:
The reaction to catnip is actually genetic which means it can be inherited from the parents. Some cats have it, some don't. Some have a more extreme reaction, some have a very slight one. For those that do react, it's like a sugar rush except it's not harmful. It causes them to get hyper and playful and then they sort of crash afterwards. I have three cats and they all react different. Frost barely notices it. Ash tends to like it for a few minutes, but gets over it quickly. Ember, however, goes nuts. She rolls in it, bites it if it's a toy, and is quite happy. She'll try to play with the other two if they get too close. After the initial reaction, both Ember and Ash end up grooming themselves and then pretty much get over it. Catnip isn't harmful for them, but it can make them a bit more antsy. I'm always careful about giving it in times of tension when they might get into fights, but like to use it if I really want to wear them down or if we're doing something stressful for them.

I don't really have any knowledge on the 'building the stamina part' either.

But yes, I think one hour of play would be okay, broken up into the day...say twenty minute sessions...or multiple ten minute sessions.
I suppose younger cats could use a little more, so 90 minutes is okay.

But definitely agree, with you Animal Freak Animal Freak Animal Freak Animal Freak ...that Kvla Kvla Kvla Kvla ...does not need to do 3 hours. That seems way too much.
Since she'd be throwing in more 'food puzzles' and making other types of toys,....then that would be easier on everyone.
Yes, the food puzzles, training, etc. should help. Playing 2-3 hours a day would be a lot for anyone, but food puzzles/dispensers can be done without the person's involvement. Mental stimulation is really great for wearing down the mind which is just as important as wearing down the body and there's no concern about building the physical stamina in that way. Combining physical exercise and mental stimulation is the best way to wear an animal out.

Thank you so much. I'll PM you, ...then set up my own thread in the 'other pets and animals forum'.
You're welcome. I'm happy to help and will reply to the PM.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she loves you. She would not be sitting on you like that if she didn't.

"In an attempt to avoid using a stern voice, or coming off as angry or threatening to her, I started saying "hey" in a calm way that usually got her attention in the past, to get her to stop and look up at me for a minute while I quickly grab a toy or laser and get her to play for a couple minutes. We've gotten really good at this lately and have been able to redirect her biting quickly almost everytime." This is GREAT!! Keep doing that.

"Since that incident, I've been moving very slow around her and talking in a sweet voice and it's seemed to help. When she comes up on my laptop, even if I'm not doing anything important, she steps on all my keys and sometimes toggles things on and off like my keyboard, which sends me on an adventure to figure out how to fix it. I've been trying to redirect her off of my laptop too. Knowing that it probably means she wants my attention and in an attempt to not let my cat break my laptop, I've been leading her off with a toy or the laser. She will follow that laser pointer anywhere so it's pretty helpful in redirecting I found! lol" - If it helps great. Try to move at a normal pace but if slower works then that is great. Usually cats sense a change and get more cautious but it seems like it might work for you two. Mine go on the keyboard as well and mess things up. Cats. GREAT job in redirecting her!!! Try to keep it up, get her to move on her terms in a positive way.

"Would she tire out of the laser pointer if I use it so much throughout the day to redirect her?" - It is possible. But it is hard to know until it happens. I would just use what ever works to be honest. If you can use a wand toy successfully then use that but if the laser is the only thing then that is all we can do.

Your other worry about stamina - Just play with her as much as possible. The positives of play (confidence, some energy drained) are too good to hold back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kvla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it’s been a long time since this thread has been replied to, but I wanted to open it back up again to thank everyone who’s helped me with my cat. This site is truly amazing and I’m so glad I found it.
I’ve come to peace with my cat and she now greets me at the door, rubs up against me, doesn’t bite as much when I pet her, and even sleeps at the end of my bed, and tonight: my lap!
I’m almost in tears and overwhelmed with love. I was blessed with an amazing, spunky kitty who isn’t shy and loves to explore. I couldn’t have asked for more.:redheartpump::redheartpump:
7BB50EF8-A1FE-4A53-B5E0-6A092DCCAB3C.jpeg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
😍 :hyper::clap2::purr:I always knew she would respond to the love you have for her.

Thank you for the update and I am so glad that you have found that amazing feeling of love with your kitty. It really is an amazing experience.

She is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! Thank you for the pic!!

Great work with her!!! If you ever need anything please ask anytime. Good luck in school.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it’s been a long time since this thread has been replied to, but I wanted to open it back up again to thank everyone who’s helped me with my cat. This site is truly amazing and I’m so glad I found it.
I’ve come to peace with my cat and she now greets me at the door, rubs up against me, doesn’t bite as much when I pet her, and even sleeps at the end of my bed, and tonight: my lap!
I’m almost in tears and overwhelmed with love. I was blessed with an amazing, spunky kitty who isn’t shy and loves to explore. I couldn’t have asked for more.:redheartpump::redheartpump:
This is a fantastic update! Thanks so much for posting it Kvla Kvla .
(I somehow mixed up my alerts, so am posting a week late.:paperbag:)

What a beautiful photo of Ophelia! She looks very cozy and relaxed. :lovecat2:

I'm not sure about the part where she 'doesn't bite as much when (you) pet her'...but hopefully, if it's just over-stimulation, or she still needs to be re-directed to biting a toy in her mouth, then Ophelia will still be making progress into understanding what you want her to do. Some cats get so over-stimulated so quickly when you touch certain parts of their body, or when the pats are too long.

Sending you and Ophelia the best vibes, for continued success, and continued learning, bonding and play. :blush::bluepaw::geekcat: