Time Adaptation For Collar?

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

(I am sorry, I know this post is way too long!)
So my 2 cats were able to get out of my apartment a few weeks ago. My boyfriend went out to smoke on the balcony and didn't close the door properly when he came in, obviously that was not his intention at all, but it still happened!
Needless to say, when I went in the kitchen and saw the door open I went into an immediate panic attack. They are my babies. (You know that age when all your friends are pregnant and you're like: I am feeling completely fulfilled with my cats? That's where I am right now, lol!) We searched quickly and then realized they must have go outside. My apartment is on the ground floor but the balcony is a little less than 2 meters from the ground. Also, the balcony gives on a Shopper's Drugmarket parking. Thankfully, it was 1am so it was completely empty. The cats were less than 15 meters away, crouched close to a bush (and like 20 meters near a really busy street, even at 1am), looked very scared and were stuck to each other like glue. We found them in less than 5 minutes but they were the longest minutes of my life. My boyfriend felt so guilty. He still does. We also noticed that the door is really hard to close completely, you have to push on it heavily around the knob for it to latch properly.

I am a very anxious person and I worry easily. Since that night, I've been thinking daily about "what if they go outside again"? Because if they jump down the balcony, they won't be able to come back. My friend's cat (who is microchipped and wears a collar) has been missing for 6 months now and she is sure someone just took her cat. My 2 cats are microchipped, however, I can't help but to think that if someone brings them to a vet clinic saying it's their own cats, the vet won't check for the chip. Is this paranoia? Do you believe in people's good will to bring a lost cat to a vet/shelter to verify if they are microchipped?

I tried to put a breakaway collar on my cats. Happy deals with it well but when they fight he often ends up losing the collar. I also put the microchip I.D. and his rabies tab on it today but he was able to stuck his bottom tooth in the ring and couldn't close his mouth. So I removed the tags only 2 hours after attaching them to the collar :(
Meeko just... can't stand it. At all. He ends up doing a crazy cat dance, and would probably rip off the collar in 10 minutes. Maybe his collar was too tight (I was able to put two fingers in it) but he didn't let me try to put it on him again. He loves to sleep with his head hanging down, he always has his throat on the brink of the chair/cat tree and the collar is probably really annoying him.
How long should I try to have him get used to a collar? I'm pretty sure he'd never be able to wear a tag on it, too...

I guess I just need some reassurance because this has been haunting me, I wish there was an easy solution. I know they sell GPS collars but.. that's still a collar. For the time being, I check the balcony door every time I go in the kitchen, even when it's locked. I don't want to lose my furbabies...

P.S. I read about the Beastie Band collars, it looks like a good brand but I don't know if I can get them to Canada without paying crazy shipping fees (Amazon.ca was showing a collar at $80.00..!?!?!)

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you maybe attach tags to a harness? It might be more comfortable for the cats, but then I'm not a very experienced cat owner so wait for someone else to back me up on that.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Boomerang Tags sells the Beastie Band with a wrap around tag (no dangles). I just checked and with shipping its around $30USD to get it to Canada. Thats for one collar, if you get multiple it should be less per collar. Due to shipping costs, and if I am right about shipping being per order, I would get multiples. My boy is rough on collars and he goes through one every 6 months. My girl is more like one every two years.

I personally love them. My girl hates collar but she doesn't object to this one. Getting it with the tag that slides over the band is the only way I can put tags on her because the dangle one freak her out. It has come off a few times when they are playing but its maybe once a year whereas my Moms cat with a breakaway drops his every other month.

I know it is another expense, but my guys also wear a TabCat tracker. Its a small RF tracker woth a limited range but it works. The batteries also last longer than other types currently on the market. I also like that it isn't constantly on, just when I turn on the tracker unit, and doesn't rely on cell phones if there was an emergency and cell towers were down. I am waiting for a GPS called the Magpie to come out, it was on Kickstarter as a small GPS unit who a longer lasting battery.

Here is Rocket with her Beastie Band, wrap tag and tracker. She's barely 8 pounds and you can see her size in comparison to my laptop behind her. That is her, how dare you pay attention to something other than me face. I have been working on something all weekend and not worshipping her like I should be.

20170903_055738.jpg

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's a crazy price for a Beastie Band. We live in Germany, and I've bought a couple from Amazon.com for around $15 apiece, including shipping. Have you looked on ebay?

I can also recommend the slip-on Boomerang tag.

You might also be able to secure your balcony with netting (fishing/deer/cat net) to prevent further escapes.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in Canada too and just ordered a beastie band from the cat connection (thecatconnection.com). It cost 6.99 + 9.50 shipping US. It was the best option I could find for beastie bands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in Canada too and just ordered a beastie band from the cat connection (thecatconnection.com). It cost 6.99 + 9.50 shipping US. It was the best option I could find for beastie bands.
The thing is Happy is okay with the collar but I don't want to order another collar for Meeko if he just won't wear it :/
I will think about the "on-collar" tags. I especially wanted to put the rabies tag and the chip I.D. tag. I learned yesterday that apparently here in Quebec City the rabies shot isn't an obligatory vaccine, still they recommend it because bats could get into people's houses. In Toronto it was a necessary shot, so I will have Meeko get it next week with the "normal" shot. It's an addition of $21.00 but I'd prefer them to be both vaccinated for rabies. (Happy received all his shots in June before we moved to Québec city.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might also be able to secure your balcony with netting (fishing/deer/cat net) to prevent further escapes.
There is already a sort of tent-like material covering the bars of the balcony, but not the bottom. I don't think I could cover the whole thing with a net either.
My (now) ex-boyfriend should be moving out in a month or so. Which means I will be 100% sure at all times that the door is properly closed. He often has friends over in the apartment (ugh, I can't wait for this to stop) and this made me really nervous about the stupid door because they are all smokers and go outside at all times of the day/night.
So, perks of living alone? Less anxiety about the cats's safety! Yay! :thumbsup: