Tiki cat

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have started putting tiki cat into my food rotation. I have noticed a majority of their food seems to be seafood based. Yet, everywhere I look, people say don’t use seafood based food. Is there actually any truth to that? Or do they have the correct ingredients to counteract any deficiency the fish may have/cause?

my cats love their “after dark duck” so I’d like to pick up some of the other flavors

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Seafood can/does have mercury in it, which is why you'll see warnings for pregnant women to avoid tuna.
Using a rotation and tiki cats' chicken hopefully satisfies your kitties :)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat After Darj and their non-fish recipes are good. There are a number of reasons to limit fish, including mercury.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi
Seafood can/does have mercury in it, which is why you'll see warnings for pregnant women to avoid tuna.
Using a rotation and tiki cats' chicken hopefully satisfies your kitties :)
I’m not pregnant and my cats are male so not sure I need to worry about that lol. I don’t believe tiki cat is made for human consumption and looking at their ingredients, they add thiamine

1A7171CC-BE36-4511-91AA-68869E012767.jpeg

CF666DDB-1937-43E2-8CAF-CDC270F7E687.png

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Seafood once in awhile is fine. It's feeding only seafood based food that can cause issues in cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tiki Cat is a good brand.

It's feeding seafood in general regardless of brand that can cause issues in cats (urinary issues, addiction to eating only seafood, etc).

Most TCS members feel it's best to limit seafood to treats or included very occasionally in a diet rotation.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat is a good brand.

It's feeding seafood in general regardless of brand that can cause issues in cats (urinary issues, addiction to eating only seafood, etc).

Most TCS members feel it's best to limit seafood to treats or included very occasionally in a diet rotation.
Ok thanks. I’ll add some in but won’t make it a majority of their diet

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite piece about feeding fish to cats is on Dr. Jean Hofve's site: Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats | Little Big Cat

Dr. Hofve gets at a lot of the same points maggie101 maggie101 mentions. I'll add that our vet is very anti-fish, too, because of mercury and other toxins, as well as the allergy factor. I used to feed our cats an occasional meal that had some fish in it (our vet thinks that's okay) but she said to stop with all fish after Ireland was diagnosed with asthma.

To get to the OP's question of Tiki: I feed some After Dark meals to our cats. The chicken/duck is their favorite followed by chicken/pork and chicken/lamb. They have a love-hate relationship with Tiki, though, something that it seems other cats have, too. 🤷‍♀️

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My favorite piece about feeding fish to cats is on Dr. Jean Hofve's site: Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats | Little Big Cat

Dr. Hofve gets at a lot of the same points maggie101 maggie101 mentions. I'll add that our vet is very anti-fish, too, because of mercury and other toxins, as well as the allergy factor. I used to feed our cats an occasional meal that had some fish in it (our vet thinks that's okay) but she said to stop with all fish after Ireland was diagnosed with asthma.

To get to the OP's question of Tiki: I feed some After Dark meals to our cats. The chicken/duck is their favorite followed by chicken/pork and chicken/lamb. They have a love-hate relationship with Tiki, though, something that it seems other cats have, too. 🤷‍♀️
Mine loves the tiki duck! A friend gave me the sardine cutlets and they inhaled it! I’m waiting for the beef liver one to be delivered tomorrow. The only thing so far that they wouldn’t even touch is lamb from Koha.

I’m just trying to get them off friskies because it makes their 💩 smell god awful. They also like fancy feast classic pates tho they aren’t fond of their seafood ones.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine loves the tiki duck! A friend gave me the sardine cutlets and they inhaled it! I’m waiting for the beef liver one to be delivered tomorrow. The only thing so far that they wouldn’t even touch is lamb from Koha.

I’m just trying to get them off friskies because it makes their 💩 smell god awful. They also like fancy feast classic pates tho they aren’t fond of their seafood ones.
You're lucky they like Tiki, their After Dark is very good food. Your cats sound smart about Fancy Feast pates, too, by avoiding the fish! (The turkey and giblets pate has no fish at all so is one of the best.)

Good luck as you continue trying new foods!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My “beef” with feeding cats fish is that fish can be inflammatory. But also, fish can be addicting. Cats who eat fish can and often do hold out on other flavors until the fish is served again. For this reason, I recommend reserving the fish flavors for disguising medicine or getting sick cats to eat. (Although, with my current cat, I discovered the appeal of Hills A/D which can also serve this purpose.)

I would say if they eat the non-fish flavors, then keep the fish flavors on reserve for exceptional times. If you feed fish on the regular, you lose that nuclear option.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My “beef” with feeding cats fish is that fish can be inflammatory. But also, fish can be addicting. Cats who eat fish can and often do hold out on other flavors until the fish is served again. For this reason, I recommend reserving the fish flavors for disguising medicine or getting sick cats to eat. (Although, with my current cat, I discovered the appeal of Hills A/D which can also serve this purpose.)

I would say if they eat the non-fish flavors, then keep the fish flavors on reserve for exceptional times. If you feed fish on the regular, you lose that nuclear option.
I fully agree with this! I made a mistake and bought a bag of freeze-dried cat food that has fish in it (I think it's salmon and chicken? something like that) and find it's very handy to crumble a piece on top of food that Edwina doesn't like. She's not a picky eater but both cats decided they no longer like one food that we have a fair bit of on the pantry shelf! So I'm glad to have the fish.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know! Between small amounts of fish and thickeners, there are very few canned foods both our cats can eat.
What do you use?