Tiki Cat Succulent Chicken Canned Food

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone (for those who feed their cat tiki can food before and now) noticed the grey chicken spots inside the canned food? Is it save to continue feeding this canned food?

I brought a pack on chewy, and the inside is completely grey(looks like mold..). The pack I brought in petco was better, but there were bits and pieces of grey shredded chicken.

It's really frustrating because this is probably the only canned food my cat loves...I tried switching to ziwipeak, feline natural, and other good brands..all of which he walked away from. Any recommendation for good canned food, aside from tiki?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on what you don't want to feed, but my crew loves Chewy's brand Tiny Tiger. They also get Redbarn lamb, some Crave, and they're working their way through a case of American Journey.

I feel your frustration with wanting them to like better brands...a brand is only good if the dang cats will eat it!

• Purraise
Reactions: kry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depends on what you don't want to feed, but my crew loves Chewy's brand Tiny Tiger. They also get Redbarn lamb, some Crave, and they're working their way through a case of American Journey.

I feel your frustration with wanting them to like better brands...a brand is only good if the dang cats will eat it!
༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽ Last sentence is gold. If only my boy is not so picky about his food. I guess I will have to keep trying other brands to see what he likes. Thanks for the recommendation.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi K kry

Mine are usually on raw but eat Koolina luau occasionally. So far I am not seeing anything strange, but one of my cat start liking Miko and don't like Tiki anymore. Maybe something has been changed?

Miko is very similar to Koolina luau at least from human point of view. I saw some people don't like because it has much more broth and less meat. But it is cheaper so I think overall it comes about the same price range.

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi K kry

Mine are usually on raw but eat Koolina luau occasionally. So far I am not seeing anything strange, but one of my cat start liking Miko and don't like Tiki anymore. Maybe something has been changed?

Miko is very similar to Koolina luau at least from human point of view. I saw some people don't like because it has much more broth and less meat. But it is cheaper so I think overall it comes about the same price range.
I will look more into Miko.
The tiki canned food issue started recently. It was fine for the past year, I am not sure what happened to tiki.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will look more into Miko.
The tiki canned food issue started recently. It was fine for the past year, I am not sure what happened to tiki.
Two more similar food we tried are Rawz and Weruva, but Rawz has Tapioca and Weruva has potato plus Xanthan Gum, so if you want to go low carb (those are still quite low carb though), I guess Miko is better? Not really sure... buying food is such a tough job!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girl is starting to like some shredded foods like Tiki Cat. We haven't tried the one you mentioned yet but she does really like Weruva.i like the Weruva website too because I can specify fish free recipes AND they give a good shot of the inside the can (so any with chunks vs shreds I could skip). Miko is next on our list.

Soulistic is very similar to Weruva at a glance but I think they all have fish.

WholeHearted has some shredded varieties too that I'm interested in trying.

Definitely let Chewy (and Tiki Cat!) Know about the cans you can aren't satisfied with. Chewy will refund you, and Tiki Cat should know if they have compromised products!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiki changed their recipes many times in the last five or so years! Our cats used to love it and I felt good about feeding it but when the quality declined and the recipe changed almost two years ago (I think it was?), the cats stopped eating it.

They do like a lot of Weruva's foods, though watch out for the potato and tapioca in some of their recipes, which can really pack on the carbs! Some of their foods that are lowest in carbs are their Cats in the Kitchen line but those do have gums, which I know some people like to avoid. I'd prefer to avoid them, too, but it's just not realistic, given our cats' preferences. Fortunately, their favorite foods these days are the homemade I feed them!

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Miko is extremely low in fat so I would only use it as a topper or a snack
Oh okay, thanks! I will see if there are other canned food that can be fed daily

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl is starting to like some shredded foods like Tiki Cat. We haven't tried the one you mentioned yet but she does really like Weruva.i like the Weruva website too because I can specify fish free recipes AND they give a good shot of the inside the can (so any with chunks vs shreds I could skip). Miko is next on our list.

Soulistic is very similar to Weruva at a glance but I think they all have fish.

WholeHearted has some shredded varieties too that I'm interested in trying.

Definitely let Chewy (and Tiki Cat!) Know about the cans you can aren't satisfied with. Chewy will refund you, and Tiki Cat should know if they have compromised products!
I heard some good things about weruva, its definitely on my list.

I reported the issue to chewy, and fortunately they are willing to refund. Apparently the issues have been going on for a while. I looked at some of the recent reviews, most cans are turning grey..It's honestly really disgusting, very disappointed at tiki.

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tiki changed their recipes many times in the last five or so years! Our cats used to love it and I felt good about feeding it but when the quality declined and the recipe changed almost two years ago (I think it was?), the cats stopped eating it.

They do like a lot of Weruva's foods, though watch out for the potato and tapioca in some of their recipes, which can really pack on the carbs! Some of their foods that are lowest in carbs are their Cats in the Kitchen line but those do have gums, which I know some people like to avoid. I'd prefer to avoid them, too, but it's just not realistic, given our cats' preferences. Fortunately, their favorite foods these days are the homemade I feed them!
I feed my cat freeze-dried and wet food, homemade meat are snacks. The problem is my cat only likes the freeze dried to be fed dry..so I figured the wet food will provide more variety to him and fill him with some water.

I will definitely try Weruva next time since I am running out of options. Thanks for the recommendation and info!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Fat requirement is 40% I think. Stray cats do not get enough fat and could cause fatty liver disease. Ever since that happened to a stray cat I was just starting to care for I have been extra careful
I feed them wellness core chicken, wellness core turkey/duck,Dave's cats meow beef,Hound and Gatos Lamb,Canidae duck and chicken,and Tiki sardines

Last edited:
  • Purraise
Reactions: kry

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Caution- weruva is also low in fat. My cat Maggie would need almost 3 3oz cans a day. Which is why I only use it as a topper. Of course,all cats are different. Maggie is a mini leopard. She eats like a wild cat.,many times a day.

Last edited:

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone (for those who feed their cat tiki can food before and now) noticed the grey chicken spots inside the canned food? Is it save to continue feeding this canned food?

I brought a pack on chewy, and the inside is completely grey(looks like mold..). The pack I brought in petco was better, but there were bits and pieces of grey shredded chicken.

It's really frustrating because this is probably the only canned food my cat loves...I tried switching to ziwipeak, feline natural, and other good brands..all of which he walked away from. Any recommendation for good canned food, aside from tiki?
My cat is also very picky, and he really likes holistic select chicken which ticks most of the boxes of tiki cat in that it is 0% carbs and higher protein not as high as tiki cat but fairly high, and high in fat, it also only has quality ingredients.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is also very picky, and he really likes holistic select chicken which ticks most of the boxes of tiki cat in that it is 0% carbs and higher protein not as high as tiki cat but fairly high, and high in fat, it also only has quality ingredients.
I have thought of trying that next but, why all the fruit? Pumpkin is beneficial but apples? Weird

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have thought of trying that next but, why all the fruit? Pumpkin is beneficial but apples? Weird
I believe they're in there for vitamins and digestion aid, and they're low down on the ingredient list so I like it and so does my cat but I am always looking to improve his diet! :)

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did some googling and the apple is in there for vitamin C, and also it is high in fiber for a digestion aid, and the cranberry is there to promote urinary tract health, and the pumpkin is also there for healthy digestion.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Soulistic is very similar to Weruva at a glance...
Soulistic is made by Weruva It's just a lower cost Petco exclusive. But they're totally not hiding that they're making it. :)