Tiki Cat Raw - Any Truth They Bought Rad Cat?

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here tried the new tiki cat raw? They come in the tubs very similar to rad cat packaging however the recipe seems to have broth and my cats didn’t like it at all. They come in chicken or turkey. Someone told me they heard a rumor that rad cat sold their recipe to tiki cat however this isn’t the rad at recipe at all...I got super excited and then major disappointed when my girls snubbed it. I wish someone would bring rad cat back....I feel like I have tried everything out there and everything gets snubbed.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed some regular Tiki Cat, the chicken based ones, to increase the protein intake for my older cats who aren’t on raw at the moment.
I checked out the info on the Tiki Cat website, and when I put the Guaranteed Analysis numbers through a converter to get the calories, it comes up as more than 60% of the calories are from fat, about 37% calories from protein.
I found similar results with the Rawzz brand.
:(

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think there is anything magical about the Rad Cat recipe. It is a simple matter to reproduce the recipe based on the ingredients listed on the label. I think what was different about their products was their ingredient sourcing. Animal products taste different depending on how they are raised. I think Rad Cat had access to and used animals that just tasted better ( organic, grass fed... ??? ). Anyone wanting to reproduce their products would just need to use the same suppliers.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Tiki Cat did acquire Rad Cat's recipe, this ain't it. For one thing, Rad Cat was boneless and Tiki Cat Raw is not. Rad Cat used gelatin whereas Tiki Cat Raw uses bone broth. One thing going for Tiki Cat Raw is that they don't use egg yolk. I know my Krista has a chicken sensitivity but I think egg yolk has finally become a no-go with her too. Or maybe it always has been and I'm only noticing now that the big rocks are out of the way. I picked up a tub of the Tiki Cat Raw turkey and have been meaning to try it with Krista. But then I got sick and then she's been doing so well that between the two, I just don't want to touch anything with her for another week or two.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed some regular Tiki Cat, the chicken based ones, to increase the protein intake for my older cats who aren’t on raw at the moment.
I checked out the info on the Tiki Cat website, and when I put the Guaranteed Analysis numbers through a converter to get the calories, it comes up as more than 60% of the calories are from fat, about 37% calories from protein.
I found similar results with the Rawzz brand.
:(
Tiki Cat is low in calories. I know that. But they are high in protein. At least 50% DMB last I checked.

Now Rawz. I know they are high calories and high protein. Their chicken pate is 50% protein DMB and their chicken shreds is 61% DMB. Krista gets the turkey pate which is 55% protein DMB. Even their dry food is 44% DMB (which Krista does not get.)

Rawz is high quality and has really helped Krista turn herself around from her IBD and pancreatitis last year. Well, Tiki got her through the pancreatitis because she loved their fish flavors enough to keep eating when she really didn't want to eat. But Rawz is what helped her put the weight back on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of this :think: Here's the web site for more info: Tiki Cat Raw - Fresh, Uncooked Cat Food with Superior Palatability It looks interesting :) I wish more companies made raw in novel proteins for cats who can't eat chicken or other poultry.

Have you tried making your own raw?
No I haven’t kinda scared. I’d have to watch a you tube or something with step by step. Every time I have read about it I get overwhelmed. I also have a cat on atopica for her severe allergies and the Dermo scared me about toxoplasmosis so that too scared me off attempting to make my own. I felt better with rad cat with all the third party testing that I was pretty safe that we didn’t have to worry about getting anyone sick.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about using raw meat with a pre-mix such as EZComplete? As long as you source the meat from a reputable place and follow safe raw meat handling guidelines, there's little risk to your cats. Hare-Today.com is a popular place to buy raw meat for pet food use if your supermarkets and butcher shops are limited in the type of meat they have.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn’t Tiki Cat manufacture its products in Thailand? That doesn’t sit right with me.

It looks like they just took Rad Cat’s idea of packaging raw food in tubs. But I’d say the quality of this food and ingredients are far less desirable than Rad Cat.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat is low in calories. I know that. But they are high in protein. At least 50% DMB last I checked.

Now Rawz. I know they are high calories and high protein. Their chicken pate is 50% protein DMB and their chicken shreds is 61% DMB. Krista gets the turkey pate which is 55% protein DMB. Even their dry food is 44% DMB (which Krista does not get.)

Rawz is high quality and has really helped Krista turn herself around from her IBD and pancreatitis last year. Well, Tiki got her through the pancreatitis because she loved their fish flavors enough to keep eating when she really didn't want to eat. But Rawz is what helped her put the weight back on.
Are you sure Rawz is that high in protein? Last time I calculated their values all their varieties were high in fat and moderate in protein. Unless they changed their formulas.

High protein foods are usually low in calories. Canned foods that are calorie dense are usually higher in fat, which makes sense because fat is more calorie dense.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will always have a soft spot for Tiki Cat. They had gum-free foods my Krista would eat when she wouldn’t eat anything else (pancreatitis) that didn’t react with her when virtually everything else did (IBD.). Krista is still with me today because of Tiki Cat. And Rawz. And Rad Cat. But those chapters would not have been written if it wasn’t for Tiki Cat first.

Most seafood goes through Thailand at some point. The global economy means some countries are just better at doing things than others. Seafood goes through Thailand whether it’s for human consumption or for pet food. From their FAQ’s, they say they leverage factories that process fish for human consumption for the fish that goes in their food.

I still keep a few cans and pouches of Tiki Cat in case she won’t eat anything else.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure Rawz is that high in protein? Last time I calculated their values all their varieties were high in fat and moderate in protein. Unless they changed their formulas.

High protein foods are usually low in calories. Canned foods that are calorie dense are usually higher in fat, which makes sense because fat is more calorie dense.
I calculated all of those this morning from information on their website. The shreds I looked up somewhere else because they still don’t have GA for the shreds on their website.

I swear by Rawz because it’s all my IBD cat will and can eat these days. Except Tiki Cat which isn’t enough calories for her. And I save fish for when she won’t eat anything else. It’s the bridge food until I can get her into the vet.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I will always have a soft spot for Tiki Cat. They had gum-free foods my Krista would eat when she wouldn’t eat anything else (pancreatitis) that didn’t react with her when virtually everything else did (IBD.). Krista is still with me today because of Tiki Cat. And Rawz. And Rad Cat. But those chapters would not have been written if it wasn’t for Tiki Cat first.

Most seafood goes through Thailand at some point. The global economy means some countries are just better at doing things than others. Seafood goes through Thailand whether it’s for human consumption or for pet food. From their FAQ’s, they say they leverage factories that process fish for human consumption for the fish that goes in their food.

I still keep a few cans and pouches of Tiki Cat in case she won’t eat anything else.
I get what you’re saying and sometimes I feed Weruva that’s manufactured in a Thailand too, but I’d feel uncomfortable feeding raw food manufactured in Thailand.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I calculated all of those this morning from information on their website. The shreds I looked up somewhere else because they still don’t have GA for the shreds on their website.

I swear by Rawz because it’s all my IBD cat will and can eat these days. Except Tiki Cat which isn’t enough calories for her. And I save fish for when she won’t eat anything else. It’s the bridge food until I can get her into the vet.
Hmm I just computed the percentage per 100 calories based on the info on their website and I get >60% fat for all their recipes. This is consistent with the numbers that Rawz sent me about their pates and shreds when I emailed them a few months ago.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get what you’re saying and sometimes I feed Weruva that’s manufactured in a Thailand too, but I’d feel uncomfortable feeding raw food manufactured in Thailand.
Tiki Cat Raw uses USA sourced chicken and turkey.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm I just computed the percentage per 100 calories based on the info on their website and I get >60% fat for all their recipes. This is consistent with the numbers that Rawz sent me about their pates and shreds when I emailed them a few months ago.
I don't know how you are calculating this.

The Guaranteed Analysis numbers on the Rawz website for Turkey
RAWZ | Turkey & Turkey Liver Pâté

12% protein
9.5% fat
78% moisture

DMB Calculator
Dry Matter Basis Online Calculator | Feline Nutrition Awareness Effort

( Ingredient value % / 100- moisture % ) * 100 = DMB %

12 / 22 * 100 = 55%
9.5 / 22 * 100 = 43%

My Krista’s overly sensitive pooper would definitely let me know if I was feeding her >60% fat.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t see what’s wrong if products are from Thailand. I just get relieved if it isn’t from China to be honest.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat Raw uses USA sourced chicken and turkey.
I’m talking about the facility that it’s manufactured in though. I don’t even trust most facilities in the US. I’m pretty picky about where my raw meats are sourced from and food manufactured. I also want to know that the company uses whole meats.

I don't know how you are calculating this.

The Guaranteed Analysis numbers on the Rawz website for Turkey
RAWZ | Turkey & Turkey Liver Pâté

12% protein
9.5% fat
78% moisture

DMB Calculator
Dry Matter Basis Online Calculator | Feline Nutrition Awareness Effort

( Ingredient value % / 100- moisture % ) * 100 = DMB %

12 / 22 * 100 = 55%
9.5 / 22 * 100 = 43%

My Krista’s overly sensitive pooper would definitely let me know if I was feeding her >60% fat.
We are computing different values. You are calculating dmb (as a percentage of weight) while I’m calculating it as a percentage of calories. I prefer this latter way as it is the way recommended by Dr. Pierson (Commercial Cat Foods)

Basically what my value is telling you is what percentage of the calories is made up of protein and fat. Given that it’s a calorie dense food, it makes sense that most of the calories are from fat. It would be strange for a calorically dense food to be primarily protein because fat is made up of more calories than protein.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fat is twice as many calories as protein. It makes sense that a food that is roughly 50/50 DMB by weight is going to be around 33/66 by percentage of calories. What values do you consider good for this ratio? By weight, I consider foods minimum of 50% protein and as close to 0% carbs as we can get which means fat sorts itself out somewhere between 40 and 50%.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Fat is twice as many calories as protein. It makes sense that a food that is roughly 50/50 DMB by weight is going to be around 33/66 by percentage of calories. What values do you consider good for this ratio? By weight, I consider foods minimum of 50% protein and as close to 0% carbs as we can get which means fat sorts itself out somewhere between 40 and 50%.
I try to keep the percentage of calories from protein above 50%, fat around 30-40%, and carbs under 10%. This is really the ideal diet for cats as most of their calories from food in the wild would come from protein. That’s why lots of people like to feed some of the Weruva and Tiki Cat canned foods (or even Fancy Feast). Even though they are low in calories, most of the calories are from protein. I stay away from foods with more than 60% calories from fat. That’s too much in my opinion. Fat is cheaper for companies to come by and so a lot of brands that claim to be health conscious will put in good ingredients but will use primarily fatty parts of a chicken or turkey.

This can be misleading to consumers because even though there appears to be more protein in the food by weight, it really is more about the ratio of protein to fat on a dry matter basis, because fat carries almost twice as many calories as protein.

For example, when I make my own raw food, I use almost half as much fatty parts of chicken as I do the parts that have more protein.

I recommend reading more on catinfo.org or checking out the chart on the website which compares protein, fat, and carb values (as percentage of calories).