Tiggz ran away!

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Umm, so recently we were moving into our glorious new home, but while we were bringing him to the house, he ran away! We didn't have a cage because his recently broke and we didn't get enough time to buy him a new one, so my sister was carrying him to the door, and he jumped away. It's been 3 days, and he left before he could pick up the scent of the house or anything. I'm really worried , I don't know how to find him again and my heart is just torn up into little pieces, I'm running out of luck and I just don't know what to do anymore.
Please help me catsite members.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am terribly sorry for you and Tiggz.
. Did he have a microchip, Collar and tags with new number? I would go to all neighbors, call the police and all local shelters to be on the lookout. Even post flyers at nearby vet offices. I will be praying for his safe return to you.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also go back to your old house and talk to the owners or leave a flyer on the front door and talk to those neighbors because he might find his way back!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I shall move this to the SOS section where you will be able to get lots of advise from our members.

Good luck in finding Tiggz. Its such a horrible feeling isnt it
My Cedar ran away once (well actually I think he was spooked by something and went to hide). I couldnt find him for 5 days... horrible horrible feeling. The people here were so supportive and offered such amazing advise.

I agree with the above advise. How far is the old home from the new home? Go back there, speak to the new owners, put up flyers wherever you can and drop some in the neighbours letterboxes (or even better, talk to as many as you can so they can keep an eye out).

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I hope you find him soon
You should call all the shelters, speak with the neighbors. Just like Feralvr suggested. You should check your old house, and old neighbors incase he found his way back there. Just like Minka suggested.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, the basic steps:

1. Look for him in the early evening, with a flashlight that you can shine under cars, under porches, behind hedges, etc. Watch for his eyes reflecting.

2. Put up signs around the neighborhood. Some people say to put on the sign that the cat needs daily medication, but that's really more effective with dogs.

3. Talk to all the neighbors. A cat rarely goes very far, but in your case, since you weren't settled in yet, that may not be so true.

4. Put out his familiar food and a familiar bowl by your door. Use an unwashed piece of clothing that you or whoever Tiggz is bonded with has worn; a dirty, sweaty T shirt works well.

5. Keep an eye out in the dusk and dawn, when cats are very active.

rewboss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

Also go back to your old house
I'll join the chorus here. Realistically, it's a small chance, but there are stories of cats trekking hundreds of miles to their old homes and arriving hungry and exhausted, but otherwise in good shape.

Closer to your new home, there's a chance he might have got shut in somebody's garage or basement: explicitly ask your new neighbours to check these places.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

OK, the basic steps:

1. Look for him in the early evening, with a flashlight that you can shine under cars, under porches, behind hedges, etc. Watch for his eyes reflecting.

2. Put up signs around the neighborhood. Some people say to put on the sign that the cat needs daily medication, but that's really more effective with dogs.

3. Talk to all the neighbors. A cat rarely goes very far, but in your case, since you weren't settled in yet, that may not be so true.

4. Put out his familiar food and a familiar bowl by your door. Use an unwashed piece of clothing that you or whoever Tiggz is bonded with has worn; a dirty, sweaty T shirt works well.

5. Keep an eye out in the dusk and dawn, when cats are very active.
We've done all of those so far but not yet put up signs, were going to do that tomorrow.

Also we moved about 25 miles away from our old house, and what i'm also worried about is behind the house is a huge wheat field and a few old sheds, we think he might be hiding in some of them.

I hope he comes back soon though, we really miss him.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
With only 25 miles between homes I'd definitely go back and have a look around. Maybe borrow trap and see if your old neighbors would let you set it up around the neighbourhood.

Good luck, and I hope he makes his way home soon.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I just saw this.
You really should check back where you used to live. Many cats have made very long journeys to travel back to their old homes, surprising as it seems, they usually are able to find their way back. Since you just made a move, it's very likely that he's extremely scared. Keep looking!

Come home safe and sound Tiggz!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about trying a humane trap by the old sheds, maybe baiting with KFC (original recipe, off the bone)?

Have you gone down to these old sheds at dawn and dusk, searching and calling?

I feel so bad for you. Your cat is somewhere, looking for you, and he doesn't know where to go.

I'd also try a trap at the door he escaped from. A shirt with your scent left outside the door may make him understand that you are there.

I sure hope Tiggz comes back soon.

Robin

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope someone see's his picture, knows it's him and brings him home to you

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, all your support and ideas are greatly appreciated, it's good my best friend lives on that street, if she sees him wandering around the neighborhood, she'll surly bring him back to me.

sueg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your lost kitty, lots of good advice here, but from the point he jumped and ran away he will be able to follow the scent back to that point so hopefully fingers crossed he will come back. And I think there is a possibility that he has gone home as well. I really hope he comes back home soon safe and sound, sending out prayers to bring him home. xx

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he may be nearby to your new home, panicked, disoriented and frightened. It will probably require you to look under every nook and cranny and drag him out or trap him if you can figure out his location. In the new area there are probably other critters who are claiming that territory so he would not be likely to go very far without being challenged.
I would keep up the search and look in the very immediate area near your new home and be sure to put fliers in every neighbor's door nearby, telling them you are going to be looking around their houses and under their sheds. And you could look at the old home too, altho if this is an indoor pet I don't think he would go 25 miles, even though I know it does happen. Good luck!

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, he still has not come back yet, I miss him sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much, but I'm not giving up one bit!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:eek:hno: I am sad to hear he has not been found yet. Good you are keeping a positive attitude :nod: I know this must be very, very distressful for you, each and every day :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: I really do hope he is found :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: