Tiggys unexpected pregnancy

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, try to move it to a safer location, but if she insists on leaving the nest, don't make her anxious, just let her go where she wants. you might have a blanket /towel ready for the little ones to lie on wherever she has them. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tiggy just did a big stretch then yowled in pain and rolled over a few times. She seems ok now otherwise, perhaps a bit restless but she's been in 1 place feeding kittens for days. Shes a fussy eater and doesn't go for the higher protein wet foods but I've been giving her generic 'chunks in jelly' kitten food and adding some cooked chicken breast twice a week. Could she be a bit low on protein, causing muscle cramps maybe? Or possibly just everything settling back to normal? I saw an article on here somewhere about postpartum complications but I cant seem to find it now 😣. I'll pop her to the vets if it happens any more

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if she develops an infection or some other postpartum complication she will stop eating, and be indifferent to her kittens. Watch her so that she is pooping and peeing normally like said above. As long as she is eating and taking care of the kittens, everything should be oK.

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Butterball? 😅

Today I will be phoning the vets because a significant amount of discharge just came from one of the kittens eyes 😣. I was weighing them and thought it was a drop of milk and wiped it with some kitchen paper and then loads came out. I once had significant and fast success treating a 4 month old that came to me on a friday night with conjunctivitis using chamomile tea bags, so I've gently cleaned the eye up with one of those and I think everything has come out.

I wanted to post here for advice too, but I'm about to throw all their bedding in the wash and phone the vets. Pic is of after I've cleaned it up. The kitten is still gaining weight, between 10-15 grams per day so far.

20200523_112743.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is VERY common for kittens to get eye infections, almost guaranteed at a shelter because it is so contagious. Most clear up on their own in a couple of weeks or so, wiping as you have been with a warm wet cloth and the chamomile tea. I have gotten an eye salve from the vet if it gets worse. If their eyes are not open all the way yet it can be just smeared across the outside, otherwise, just pull down gently on the lower lid till a 'pocket' forms and insert a thin ribbon of ointment in that pocket. They get used to it pretty quickly, and I have found that the salve works MUCH quicker than home treatments.

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm glad it's not too worrisome. One had its eyes open for the first time today so presumably the rest aren't far behind, and then the infection has somewhere to drain from too I suppose.

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet, I'll probably just get the vet treatment straight away due to it being so young 😊

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm glad it's not too worrisome. One had its eyes open for the first time today so presumably the rest aren't far behind, and then the infection has somewhere to drain from too I suppose.

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet, I'll probably just get the vet treatment straight away due to it being so young 😊

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thought i'd come and update with some pictures. The kittens turned 3 weeks old yesterday 😊 we are keeping the calico with the ginger stripe on her face who wont keep still for pictures. My close friends are having one of the others too, they're still discussing as a family which one but they seem to like the other calico because shes SO fluffy! Ive started getting little head bumps off them in the last few days 😁. And they've been merrily hissing and spitting at the (very cat friendly) dogs. The kittens are in charge there now.

20200607_060528.jpg
20200606_133743.jpg
20200606_133539.jpg
20200605_072131.jpg
20200604_161751.jpg
20200527_190528.jpg