Tiger's Coming Back!

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I've mentioned that Tiger was staying with me for the past two weeks so I could get him ready for my cousin, Brooke, while they were on vacation. She has two little girls, one freshly five years old and the other four months old. I had asked her multiple times if she was able to take him. She told me every time "yes".

They show up at the house and no one but Brooke is fawning over him. Her husband didn't want anything to do with him. The five year old, Maddie, seemed excited, but all she kept on telling me was that she didn't want Tiger to scratch her. I told Brooke that he will scratch a little, so Maddie will have to be prepared. Then my mother stepped in and asked if Maddie wasn't too young to have a pet. Brooke kindly reminded her that I got my first cat when I was five, but compared to Maddie I was supposedly a lot more "well behaved". I was worried.

So I told her multiple times about Tiger. His personality thus far is a lot more needy than Ziltoid. He's very vocal and he likes to scratch a lot more when he's playful. He's a kitten, he will be playful! Since he's going to lose his only play partner, he will want to play with them. I think it went in one ear and out the other.

I wake up to my phone ringing, and it's a very flustered Brooke. She wants to know why Tiger won't stop crying, and that Maddie's terrified of him. Apparently every time Maddie even sees Tiger in her room she starts screaming her head off. He had scratched her sometime between when they picked him up and this morning, and now she wants nothing to do with him.

Now every time Maddie so much as sees Tiger, she starts screaming and crying. This turned into Tiger hiding underneath their table and meowing loudly. The meowing got an even worse reaction from Maddie. So, without knowing what to do, Brooke locked Tiger in the bathroom.

I was talking with Mom about this after I got off the phone with Brooke. Her reply to everything was "That doesn't surprise me. Maddie's always been terrified of animals. You've always been away at college, so you've never seen how she runs from the dogs and your aunt's cats." Gee, thanks for giving me this speck of information after I handed away Tiger!

Brooke's bringing him back later today. I wish she would have thought more carefully about this. Hopefully one night isn't enough to scar my little sweetheart. Now I'll have two bundles of joy to bring back with me in the fall semester.

I am also pondering if it's not too late to change his name. I was thinking along the lines of Captain Spectacular... Spec for short.
Ziltoid the Omniscient and Captain Spectacular! (I am such a nerd...)

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are taking him back - it sounds like he will be much better off with you (and i like the new name you wanna call him!)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least your cousin has realised that it's not going to work and is bringing him back quickly! That is something.

Kids and cats - there's no right answer IMO, it depends on the individual child, and some young children are just generally more responsible and calm than others. (well you could say that about adults too!) As well as feeling sorry for Tiger, I also feel for the child, her being that scared can't have been much fun for anyone in that house last night

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that poor kitty
I hope he isn't too traumatized by the whole experience. I'm glad you are taking him back.

Originally Posted by Fraggles

I think I've mentioned that Tiger was staying with me for the past two weeks so I could get him ready for my cousin, Brooke, while they were on vacation. She has two little girls, one freshly five years old and the other four months old. I had asked her multiple times if she was able to take him. She told me every time "yes".

They show up at the house and no one but Brooke is fawning over him. Her husband didn't want anything to do with him. The five year old, Maddie, seemed excited, but all she kept on telling me was that she didn't want Tiger to scratch her. I told Brooke that he will scratch a little, so Maddie will have to be prepared. Then my mother stepped in and asked if Maddie wasn't too young to have a pet. Brooke kindly reminded her that I got my first cat when I was five, but compared to Maddie I was supposedly a lot more "well behaved". I was worried.

So I told her multiple times about Tiger. His personality thus far is a lot more needy than Ziltoid. He's very vocal and he likes to scratch a lot more when he's playful. He's a kitten, he will be playful! Since he's going to lose his only play partner, he will want to play with them. I think it went in one ear and out the other.

I wake up to my phone ringing, and it's a very flustered Brooke. She wants to know why Tiger won't stop crying, and that Maddie's terrified of him. Apparently every time Maddie even sees Tiger in her room she starts screaming her head off. He had scratched her sometime between when they picked him up and this morning, and now she wants nothing to do with him.

Now every time Maddie so much as sees Tiger, she starts screaming and crying. This turned into Tiger hiding underneath their table and meowing loudly. The meowing got an even worse reaction from Maddie. So, without knowing what to do, Brooke locked Tiger in the bathroom.

I was talking with Mom about this after I got off the phone with Brooke. Her reply to everything was "That doesn't surprise me. Maddie's always been terrified of animals. You've always been away at college, so you've never seen how she runs from the dogs and your aunt's cats." Gee, thanks for giving me this speck of information after I handed away Tiger!

Brooke's bringing him back later today. I wish she would have thought more carefully about this. Hopefully one night isn't enough to scar my little sweetheart. Now I'll have two bundles of joy to bring back with me in the fall semester.

I am also pondering if it's not too late to change his name. I was thinking along the lines of Captain Spectacular... Spec for short.
Ziltoid the Omniscient and Captain Spectacular! (I am such a nerd...)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

At least your cousin has realised that it's not going to work and is bringing him back quickly! That is something.

Kids and cats - there's no right answer IMO, it depends on the individual child, and some young children are just generally more responsible and calm than others. (well you could say that about adults too!) As well as feeling sorry for Tiger, I also feel for the child, her being that scared can't have been much fun for anyone in that house last night
Oh, most definitely. Goodness knows I love my family, and I hope when she's older that she can get over her fear. I know I wouldn't have much fun either if I thought one of my pets were out to get me.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you are taking him back! It sounds like he wouldn't be happy in that household and neither would the child.

The new name is cute too!