Tiger my 12 yrs 4 & 1/2 months cat

Angelbabe1uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya all
Tiger is my nxt to oldest cat his mum is 8 months older
Last monday (not yesturday) he was sick once but was still eating drinking using the litter tray
Tuesday he started to be looser with his number #2 so i booked an appointment at vets for the next day because he had also lost weight
Wed the lady vet weighed him & to my horror he had gone from 4.7kgs to 3.4kgs in around a yr so it worried me even more as hes a big cat ppl think hes a norwegan forrest but hes a moggy
She put him on pro-kolin advanced and sent us on our way
Fri he stopped with the runny #2 and also stopped eating so off back to the vet we went this time we saw a diff vet who was fussing tiger giving him kisses and saying how beautiful boy he was he decided to do bloods and gave him an anti-sickness incase he was feeling sick so off his food and gave him a steroid & a tablet to make him hungry and said he would ring me with bloods reults later that day
Sadly nobody rang leaving me with horrors going through my mind but tiger ate a little bit of food
Nxt morning saturday he rang me and appologised about not ringing the day b4 but the machine broke to do testing on bloods but he had the results back kidney liver renal functions are all normal but white blood count is up!
So he gave me 3 lots of meds, mirtazapine 2mg, steroids, antibiotic, and kitten meat and off i went
Tiger started eating more & more on them but the mirtazapine 2mg was only for 3 days so stopped yesturday now today tiger is back being fussy with food again but hes finally done a #2 after nothing sat/sun/mon
Do i ask the vet for more mirtazapines ?
I need to get his weight back up quickly but not so quick as to upset his tummy
He eats felix as good as it looks flakes (not senior as wont eat it) and has purina one chicken & wholegranes but atm is having purina one turkey sencertive as smaller pieces
I think he has a tooth problem but the vets refuse to do anything as his teeth look really good for his age
So looking for ideas as what i can try with him
He hates anything liver ive no idea why & hates own boiled chicken or fish hes really fussy like his dad
So any ideas greatfully appreciated as i love tiger (tiggy) and im not giving up on him πŸ˜ŠπŸ’–πŸˆ

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Not sure I can offer much, but did the vet also check for hyperthyroidism? There is an unusual version of it (called apathetic) that can cause weight loss - and a decrease in appetite, the opposite of what is usually expected. Feeby has that version. Did they also run a urinalysis/urine culture and a fecal test? Those tests might have shed some light on the higher than normal white blood count. What the heck is the steroid for???

Feeby is now on the transdermal version of Mirtazapine - Mirataz, because she has started to lose her appetite and weight again. To start off with, I guess I am saying if it were me, I would ask for more of the Mirtazapine. The other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of antibiotics can cause stomach upset, so that might also be playing into Tiggy's less than stellar appetite.

And, push the issue about Tiggy's possible dental issues - maybe an x-ray?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's fine to ask the Vet for more mirtazapine. The idea of it that it should kick start their appetites and some cats don't need any more than 3 days worth. Other cats need it for longer. Definitely let your Vet know that his appetite went down once you stopped it. That could be another sign of what might be wrong that your Vet needs to know about. In the mean time, just try different cat foods. Sometime when cats don't feel well, something completely new to them helps the to eat. Does he seem to be nauseated? I know he already got some anti-emetics, but is he still on them? Obviously that would cause loss of appetite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angelbabe1uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Not sure I can offer much, but did the vet also check for hyperthyroidism? There is an unusual version of it (called apathetic) that can cause weight loss - and a decrease in appetite, the opposite of what is usually expected. Feeby has that version. Did they also run a urinalysis/urine culture and a fecal test? Those tests might have shed some light on the higher than normal white blood count. What the heck is the steroid for???

Feeby is now on the transdermal version of Mirtazapine - Mirataz, because she has started to lose her appetite and weight again. To start off with, I guess I am saying if it were me, I would ask for more of the Mirtazapine. The other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of antibiotics can cause stomach upset, so that might also be playing into Tiggy's less than stellar appetite.

And, push the issue about Tiggy's possible dental issues - maybe an x-ray?
Hiya thanx for your reply i really appreciate it πŸ˜ŠπŸ’–
The vet said that because tiggys white blood cell count was high that he was possably fighting either an infection or the dreaded C
But he wasnt going down the dreaded C route just yet so was treating like he possably has an abcess under his tooth causing him pain and so gave the antibiotic to fight infection and the steroid only 1/2 a tablet every 12 hrs to boost him up as was moaping about poor boy
I thought at 1st that he wasnt eating because he was now constipated but he went today (flags flew and kisses all round my boy because he went πŸ˜ŠπŸ’–πŸˆ)
Only a med size but at least he went
But then i remembered how when eating for as long as i can remember his teeth grinded but only when eating meat
His vet did bloods but mentioned the thiroid test but its a diff test so wanted to make sure his kidney liver & renal functions were all ok which there all within normal levels thank heavens
Upto him putting him on them meds sat i really dreaded waking up incase my boy was gone
I have him sleeping with me every night & he loves it
Hes started to love his flippity fish with cat nip in it again and has around 5-6 meals now not big amounts but a lot more than he was b4 he went on meds
Id ordered him some dorwest malted kelp that encourages healthy appitite but they wont get here till thur (joys of amazon) πŸ˜…
He ate just now so im hoping hes going to pick up if not im going to ring vets in morn see if i can get more mitazapines for him πŸ™πŸ€ž
Im on same meds but mine are 45mg πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ like mother like son as hes my furbaby
I hated myself for friday as i said the dreaded words do i let him go to my daughter in a text while tiggy was out the room having his bloods taken πŸ˜­πŸ’”πŸˆ my eyes filled my heart beat shot up and i said no im not letting my baby go im fighting for him and ive never looked back
I see more of his old self returning day by day
Mornings he sits on me and puts his paw on my nose to wake me then meows and it sounds like mam even the vet heard him say it and said omg did you just hear that i said yup he called me mam he does it all the time πŸ’–

Angelbabe1uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's fine to ask the Vet for more mirtazapine. The idea of it that it should kick start their appetites and some cats don't need any more than 3 days worth. Other cats need it for longer. Definitely let your Vet know that his appetite went down once you stopped it. That could be another sign of what might be wrong that your Vet needs to know about. In the mean time, just try different cat foods. Sometime when cats don't feel well, something completely new to them helps the to eat. Does he seem to be nauseated? I know he already got some anti-emetics, but is he still on them? Obviously that would cause loss of appetite.
Hiya thank you for your reply 😊
When tiggy first started with the runny #2 id tried him on gormet gold, applaws, encore, fresh meat kept in fridge but he would only eat them in tiny amounts and turn his nose up 24 hrs later so in the end out of desperation really i gave him back his felix as good as it looks flakes on sat the same day he was put on the meds coincidence maybe or maybe he just wanted his felix back as hes been on purina one meat & biskets yrs now
Every winter though he starts scratching behind his ears and starts with a s&d bug vet said it maybe because of his coat its fluffy like a norwegan forrest cat they thought he was one
He said when hes scratching and over grooming its a sign of stress and he could be swallowing the fur triggering the s&d bug and now maybe an abcess below the gum line as his teeth above have only minimum tarter nothing that needs removing there pretty healthy for a cat his age he asked do i brush his teeth i said no he just has a mixture of wet meat i add 2 tabble spoons of water and mix well and he has bis in another bowl by themselves
He said good idea as then i know hes has fliuds if i dont see him going to the water bowl
Ive been doing it that way a few yrs now i do same to my others too
I will ring vets in morning see if i can have more for him

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "s&d bug". WHY do you think he may have an abcess below the gumline? Does he paw at his mouth, or drop food from his mouth or flinch when touched in his mouth or what. One of my guys has FORLS, which is resorption of his teeth, and when the Vet actually touches a tooth that is resorping, he will kind of "chatter", that's how my Vet knows it's time for another dental and that tooth gets pulled, often more than one :frown:. Put it doesn't mean there is an abcess. But Tigger's raised WBC does indicate something might be going on, thus the antibiotic. What antibiotic is he on? That's the problem when you don't know WHERE the possible infection is, is exactly which antibiotic to use :sigh:

Is he normally a nervous cat? I just wonder about the itching and overgrooming every winter. Seems coincidental to me. If it's only in winter it could be related to things that happen in winter. Whatever you use to heat you home, winter blankets that are used, etc. Heat can be very drying, and that can cause itching. Do you brush him often? ARe hairballs a problem?

Angelbabe1uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "s&d bug". WHY do you think he may have an abcess below the gumline? Does he paw at his mouth, or drop food from his mouth or flinch when touched in his mouth or what. One of my guys has FORLS, which is resorption of his teeth, and when the Vet actually touches a tooth that is resorping, he will kind of "chatter", that's how my Vet knows it's time for another dental and that tooth gets pulled, often more than one :frown:. Put it doesn't mean there is an abcess. But Tigger's raised WBC does indicate something might be going on, thus the antibiotic. What antibiotic is he on? That's the problem when you don't know WHERE the possible infection is, is exactly which antibiotic to use :sigh:

Is he normally a nervous cat? I just wonder about the itching and overgrooming every winter. Seems coincidental to me. If it's only in winter it could be related to things that happen in winter. Whatever you use to heat you home, winter blankets that are used, etc. Heat can be very drying, and that can cause itching. Do you brush him often? ARe hairballs a problem?
Hiya
s&d is sickness & diarreah bug
Tiggy when he eats he grinds his teeth together loudly but when he stopped eating when anybody me & vets went near his mouth he pulled away like it hurt
The 1st vet said there could possably be something like maybe an abcess or infection below the gum like that wasnt visable causing him to stop eating or cut his eating down
When he was eating b4 the antibiotics were started he was dropping all meat from his mouth
The antibiotic hes currently on is Marbocyl P 20mg 1/2 a tablet daily
The one to make him eat is Mirtazapine 2mg was 1 tablet daily now 1 every 2 days as gave more 2day
The steroids are Prednicare 5mg tablets 1/2 twice a day until 2morrow then 1/2 a day to come down from them
The cat food they gave him is Royal Canin Gastrointesternal Kitten but he refused it point blank so i ended up giving him his felix back again
I had the results of further blood done for his thyroid T count and that was 11 so vet said its ok it may just be because he is run down with the infection going through his system its raised it by 1 so he hasnt got problems with his thyroid so dont need meds
I showed the vet today how tiggy eats & grinds his teeth she asked how long has he done that i said yrs but vets all say his teeth are really good for his age so she agreed that its possable he may have triggered some abcess or infection in his mouth causing him to struggle eating drop his weight then get sick one day & diarreah for 3 days
Every winter he starts to get itchy over groom himself and drop his weight but never to this degree
We have tried him on all sorts of cat meats encore applaws senior, gormet, fresh meat stored in fridge, all he would eat 24 hrs then refuse
His fav has always been felix as good as it looks flakes with 2 table spoons of fresh water mixed in to get water in him and then his purina one chicken & wholegrains 1+ dry in another bowl
But at the moment im giving him purina one sensitive rich in turkey and rice as there smaller than the others & hes eating them
Hes never been a nurvious cat i also used plug ins feliway friends to keep all the cats happy and calming treats
His dad was a feral found as a newborn & hand reared b4 we got him at 4 weeks old he has very bad anxiety but doesnt live with us my daughter has his dad gizzy, sister poppy, brother jackson, his other brother jacko sadly blocked at 4 yrs old & died πŸ₯ΊπŸ˜­πŸ’”πŸˆ
Poppy & jackson follow there dad and suffer anxiety issues but tiggy has always never let anything get to him he even took maisy as his child he laid down and let her suckle off him for about 2 wks when we first got her & he is still protective of her 8 yrs on
His temprament is easy going loverble to anybody who shows him affection he never runs & hides if a stranger comes in he greets them as if to say hello i live here
My cats are all indoors cats as i live by a very busy road my daughter lived here b4 me with tiggys aunties sox & angel & there other cat cleo
Angel sadly was in a hit & run and didnt make it this is why i dont let mine go out
They have 3 scratch posts one of which is a 6 foot climbing tree and there allowed to get up onto a shelf in my hallway 7 feet off the ground they climb the tree they jump accross they also have lots of other shelves to lay on and at night tiggy now sleeps with me & the others sleep in the livingroom with fresh food & biscuits & water & trays they have a hord of toys enough to fill a box and have flappy fish and also a ball race track there litterally spoilt lol
My heaters are elecyric convector heaters on timers but ive only litterally started to turn them on after tiggy got ill as my place is warm until well into dec usually
The vet checked him for fleas he has non & no flea dirt either he is brushed weekly and he loves it and moans when i stop they all sit in a row waiting
I lost a cat in feb this year to blockage it was hereditory all the boys in his litter sucume to same thing jaspa & tiggy were really close they slept together all the time even now if he sees jaspas pic on my cushion he head buts it
Ive got 1 mitazapine today off vets i got back to find he had eaten so will crush it & give in morning see if he eats more again like b4 but he has to only have every other day where as b4 he had daily
He is a very fluffy cat but sheds his coat not in summer but in winter vets dont understand as to why but hes always done that ending up in him getting the s&d maybe because he gets cold ? Usually it dont need vets but last yr & this yr it has
He has gone so thin this time he looks skinny so im trying to find a way to get his weight back on him
He dont like fish or chicken boiled but will eat tuna in water so ive got a tin to try him
I got tinned macral & pilchards he dont like them πŸ₯Ί im feeding him little & often and increasing it a little at a time as if to much in his bowl he walks away so currently 2 table spoons lasts him around 2 hrs but if it drys out i throw away wash his bowl then put a diff flavour in mixed with the 2 tablespoons of fresh water
I even tried it on a plate warmed up and he refused it
His dad is the same when he goes off his food he drops loads of weight like tiggy does & his brother jackson but poppy has never had it happen
Tiggy has another vets appointment a week this friday to see the vet who did his bloods last friday so im hoping i can somehow get some weight back on him by then πŸ™πŸ€ž

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, if he isn't an anxious cat, I don't really see how stress would be playing any part in his issue. Did you tell the Vet that he's a laid back cat? I wonder still if he might have allergies that cause the itching and overgrooming. I, personally have allergies that re worse in the winter months than any other time of year. I don't think allergies to environment would cause the diarrhea, but could be causing what I just mentioned. The diarrhea is possible an unrelated issue. Has that resolved and now the real issue is the non-eating?

I would say that is that continues, they should probably do an untrasound, or at minimum xray of both his mouth and if that doesn't show anything, then his tummy. Unless, of course, your Vet has some other ideas. But he can't continue to lose weight like this.

Angelbabe1uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, if he isn't an anxious cat, I don't really see how stress would be playing any part in his issue. Did you tell the Vet that he's a laid back cat? I wonder still if he might have allergies that cause the itching and overgrooming. I, personally have allergies that re worse in the winter months than any other time of year. I don't think allergies to environment would cause the diarrhea, but could be causing what I just mentioned. The diarrhea is possible an unrelated issue. Has that resolved and now the real issue is the non-eating?

I would say that is that continues, they should probably do an untrasound, or at minimum xray of both his mouth and if that doesn't show anything, then his tummy. Unless, of course, your Vet has some other ideas. But he can't continue to lose weight like this.
Hiya 😊
Funny you should say about allergies both me & the vet said the same its never bothered him to much in the past it used to start up winter time and he would just scratch more but his litter brother jackson has had for about 9 yrs had allergies to fleas & flea dirt but past 3 yrs stopped getting it and tigers got worser 2 yrs ago so theres a possable hereditory factor in it
I told the vet hes laid back he said yes i can see that in him as he didnt even flinch when he drew bloods & gave injections the only thing he didnt like was the tablet in his mouth
He said the diarrhea he said could be because he got cold in tummy causing him to be also sick & because of them caused his weight to drop also plus a possability of a prob with tooth stopping him eating
While hes on the mirtazapines he eats loads but they want him to have 1 every 2 days and only gave me 3 so will run out again sunday as has 1 tomorrow (fri) then last sun
Hes due to go bk to see vets a week tomorrow im πŸ™πŸ€ž hes put on weight his face doesnt look so long now and i cant feel his spine as much and his fur isnt parting as much down his spine area now
His #2s arnt diarrhea now there soft but hes just finished his antibiotics so they could have been doing that as can cause it in humans so going to see if they harden bk up again now hes off them
Hes eating quite often as long as on the mirtazipines but today because its the day without hes not eating as much hes yet to eat his breakfast from 11am
He has his meds at 10.30am then food 1/2 after
Hes still on steroids he way on 1/2 twice a day now hes on 1/2 once a day to bring them down