"Tie Out " Collars

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to purchase a new collar for my cat.  I keep reading over and over the terms, either is a "Tie out" or is not a "Tie Out" collar.  Katy does go outside if that makes a difference in the type I need to buy.  I know I need a "Break Away" collar, but does the term "Tie out" mean the same as "Break away"?  Please advise. Thanks

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Tie out" is for dogs, not cats. A dog tie out is one of those long cords you wrap one end around something secure like a big tree and the other end clips onto the D ring on the dog's collar. The cord is plenty long enough for dogs to run and walk and move around but still stay in the yard.  I'm not sure if there are any special tie out collars to use.

For cats, a breakaway  / safety cat collar is just fine. If a collar description mentions tie out, then it's a likely a dog collar and shouldn't be used.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

"Tie out" is for dogs, not cats. A dog tie out is one of those long cords you wrap one end around something secure like a big tree and the other end clips onto the D ring on the dog's collar. The cord is plenty long enough for dogs to run and walk and move around but still stay in the yard.  I'm not sure if there are any special tie out collars to use.

For cats, a breakaway  / safety cat collar is just fine. If a collar description mentions tie out, then it's a likely a dog collar and shouldn't be used.
Thanks, appreciate the definitions, Break away/Safety collar it is!