Tidy Breeze System Deodorizer

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I have a 4 year old male cat, who was neutered a year ago. His urine doesn't smell so strong. However, after emptying a new bag of pellets- it seems to last only 2 weeks because it smells of urine. Its not reeking of urine, and i can only smell it if I bring my nose to is. But knowing cats' noses are sensitive- he may be feeling the full affect of that odor. I change the urine pads every 3 days, rotate it daily. He pees 3-4 times a day because he stopped eating wet food all day and eats dry food and some canned food. So I give him hartz bisque or stew for the extra liquid.

Anyway- my question is- is there any deodorizer I can use for breeze pellets to perhaps reduce some of the stink and extend the life of the pellets? My cat is a 'butt in the air' urinator sometimes, so i use a lysol or similar wipe to clean the inside of the new breeze system litter box every 2-3 days.

We have tried all other types of litter. He doesnt like clay, makes him sneeze, swheat smells terrible after he goes in it. We tried crystal litter and the automatic litter box, the crystal litter started smelling after 3 days. I also use pine pellets, paper pellets etc, but after a while he hates the pine pellets and we go back to breeze. He doesnt love it- but its the most hygienic option we have right now, and he uses the litter box only. The only issue with it , apart from the cost, is the odor. I tried noscents, natures miracle, hartz pellets and a couple of other deodorizers. I refrain from using baking soda because after a while it becomes something of a slimy paste and he gets it all over his paws and licks them.

I appreciate any suggestions. I thank you all in advance.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How often do you scoop his litterbox?

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you wash the pellets off, either outside with a hose or in the shower? I'd imagine there's not much you can do to deodorize if the pellets get dried urine built up on them. Actually, I just looked it up, and somebody recommends putting them in a bag and through the washer and dryer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you wash the pellets off, either outside with a hose or in the shower? I'd imagine there's not much you can do to deodorize if the pellets get dried urine built up on them. Actually, I just looked it up, and somebody recommends putting them in a bag and through the washer and dryer!
I have read this before- but the risk of cross contamination or the inability to wash or sterilize them is high. Its not just urine, poop has been in it too- at least particles. And i would never put something like that through a washer and dryer- thats just weird.

leechi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still think your best bet is to wash them. Otherwise they stay coated in urine solids and the cat digs in that, then walks on stuff all over your house which seems pretty unsanitary to me. Just find a washing method that you find acceptable. It doesn't have to be your washer and dryer. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still think your best bet is to wash them. Otherwise they stay coated in urine solids and the cat digs in that, then walks on stuff all over your house which seems pretty unsanitary to me. Just find a washing method that you find acceptable. It doesn't have to be your washer and dryer. ;)
I have actually considered that. But I feel the effort i would need to put in collecting them, washing them, somehow disinfecting them and then waiting for them to dry is a chore not worth it. Besides I wonder if they retain the same absorption capacity after being washed.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have actually considered that. But I feel the effort i would need to put in collecting them, washing them, somehow disinfecting them and then waiting for them to dry is a chore not worth it. Besides I wonder if they retain the same absorption capacity after being washed.
I just got this system. The cat has pooped on it. It's day 2. The cat has not peed on it yet. Probably because of the other 3 choices in the house.
If the cat wants to pee/poo in that spot it will have to be the Tidy Breeze system. I will do anything to get rid of cat odors. I have clumping litter for my Litter Robot (1) except I have 2 other open litter boxes.
It's my understanding you throw away the pellets every month.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sad that your cat won’t take to pine, it works wonders on ordors and is perfect with the breeze system!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sad that your cat won’t take to pine, it works wonders on ordors and is perfect with the breeze system!
Ooh share the details with me. I love pine! She doesn’t like the stuff on top she can’t cover

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooh share the details with me. I love pine! She doesn’t like the stuff on top she can’t cover
I get my pine from tractor supply, the ones sold as horse bedding. The breeze system has holes perfectly sized for the shavings to fall through and the walls are sloped to encourage the shavings towards the "drain holes". I used to have a sifting cat litter, but it was a tonne of hassle having to manually lift the sifting tray up to sift, also the sifting holes were too big and pine pellets would get stuck in the holes. The breeze litter box has a tray you can pull out and dump, I put a handful of pellets in the catch tray to soak up any extra moisture. Sometimes when kitty doesn't cover up his poop, it will still stink, but thanks to the pine pellets, I haven't smelled urine for a good long while!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get my pine from tractor supply, the ones sold as horse bedding. The breeze system has holes perfectly sized for the shavings to fall through and the walls are sloped to encourage the shavings towards the "drain holes". I used to have a sifting cat litter, but it was a tonne of hassle having to manually lift the sifting tray up to sift, also the sifting holes were too big and pine pellets would get stuck in the holes. The breeze litter box has a tray you can pull out and dump, I put a handful of pellets in the catch tray to soak up any extra moisture. Sometimes when kitty doesn't cover up his poop, it will still stink, but thanks to the pine pellets, I haven't smelled urine for a good long while!
So
I want to get the right sized pine shaving. Can you be more specific please?
Can I put the pine pellets under the pine shaving on top? Or the pellets in the bottom only?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So
Can I put the pine pellets under the pine shaving on top? Or the pellets in the bottom only?
There have been urine tracks on my kitchen floor. Hence I’ll try pine shaving

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So
There's only one size, they are basically compressed saw dust
Horse pellets

Same thing, rebranded and more expensive
Feline Fresh

When your cat pees on it, it turns back into sawdust/shavings and falls through the holes in the bottom of your breeze box. I like to put some pellets on the bottom, so it absorbs any liquid that falls through.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's only one size, they are basically compressed saw dust
Horse pellets

Same thing, rebranded and more expensive
Feline Fresh

When your cat pees on it, it turns back into sawdust/shavings and falls through the holes in the bottom of your breeze box. I like to put some pellets on the bottom, so it absorbs any liquid that falls through.
Suru Suru ! Thanks! You saved me money! Is there any reason I should keep ordering the Tidy Breeze Pellets that are used on top? Are the pads still necessary to go into the bottom?

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Suru Suru ! Thanks! You saved me money! Is there any reason I should keep ordering the Tidy Breeze Pellets that are used on top? Are the pads still necessary to go into the bottom?
You don't need either, but you can use puppy pads (cheaper than breeze pads) on the bottom to soak up any extra liquid if you really wanted. The breeze pellets aren't exactly eco friendly either....

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I much prefer the blue Buffalo pellets made of walnut to the pine. Pine pellets are a lot more mess and hassle, and pine is a known toxin for cats. The walnut pellets are inexpensive ( though not as cheap as pine), work well, and can be paired with generic brand pads. pine is a little cheaper, but the reduced mess and peace fo mind from avoiding pine made me never look back once I switched from pine to walnut.