Ticks on cats

Unreacheabledreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello
I have a question
How to kill ticks on cats? And is it wrong to spray the ticks with vinegar and lemon to kill them?
Thank you in advance.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to make sure you romove all of the tick including the head which is imbedded in the cats skin. There are tools available for this and they only costs a couple of dollars. If the head remains in the skin, the tick will be dead but there's still a chance of infection.

datranch37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would also suggest a topical treatment for Ticks. There are many in the market that could help you out. You can find Revolution (or a similar product) at virtually any vet office, and they are SO easy to administer (many videos available online, or a vet can show you) and you only need to administer it once a month to kill off any fleas, ticks, ear mites, etc...
Make sure the box says TICKS since some of them don't target ticks.
1591169749630.png

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you don't have cat safe or specific products and want to remove a tick safely, substances like alcohol, nail polish remover, mosquito repellent.. Also work. The goal is making the tick unconscious so that it releases its hold. Put any of the abovementioned products on a small piece of cotton, toiler paper etc so that it has less damage to the cat (or dog) than than spraying. Hold tight on the tick. Then you can remove it safely. Keep the tick in case it needs to be tested for causing sickness

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another method before you attempt to pull the tick out is to put gloves on (the surgical kind) and draw a tight circle round the tick with your finger. This massaging action helps to release the tick. I’ve heard it can pop out on its own but it certainly makes it easier with the tick tool, which you can pick up for a couple of pounds/dollars. Makes it much easier to ensure you get the entire tick out, because if you pop it off and leave the head in that can make things worse!