TICA vs CFA Persian

Almond Eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there, I am new to this site but hoping I can get some insights.
What is the general consensus view when it comes to breeding CFA Persian to TICA registered Persian or to CFA Exotic Longhair?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :hellosmiley: I think posiepurrs posiepurrs can more than adequately answer your question since she is a knowledgeable Persian breeder on the site. Hopefully she will read your post and be able to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Almond Eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Neely. I hope to hear from posiepurrs and others insights on the issue. Cheers!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you plan on registering both parents with CFA (and they can have dual registration) the kittens will not be able to be registered, if I am not mistaken. To register the TICA cat with CFA you will need an 8 generation certified pedigree. Breeding to a exotic longhair is acceptable if you don’t mind having the exotic prefix. They are technically not considered Persians, but exotics. I could get flamed by Persian or Exotic purists, but I believe exotics ARE Persians and the 2 breeds should be merged- having a long hair and a short hair division. Genetically, the long hair exotic and the Persian are identical. This said, when I was looking for a new stud a few years ago, I wouldn’t consider a long haired exotic- but that was personal preference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Almond Eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Posiepurrs, for your comment. Unless CFA changes registration of breed category for ELH, I'll be working with CFA Persians for now.