Thyroid level is inching up but not eating a lot

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Hermione is 15 and in great health. She plays like a kitten despite some arthritis. We just had a physical and a bloodwork was perfect, BUT she had lost half a pound in 6 months and her T4 was 4.2. Vet said to keep an eye on her appetite and weight and check it again in a couple months. If it does get up high enough, we’ll do the I-131 therapy like we did on our other cat.

She’s has a fantastic appetite for months. She’s one of those cats that knock things down, or pushes breakables close to the edge of something while you watch, until you feed her. Usually she does this throughout the day, and if we let her, all night.

BUT for the last couple months she does this a little less AND when we feed her, she only eats about half the food. This must be why she lost some weight, but this is contrary to my experience with hyperthyroidism. Usually they want to eat a lot and do eat a lot. Anyone had a hyperthyroid cat with less than a normal appetite?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's showing signs of thyroid issues on her it's probably best to proceed with the I131 treatment. With a scintigraphy first of course.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi profcat.

With a T4 value at 4.2, she would be considered to be well into what's called the "Grey Zone".

I'll give you a reputable reference for this - it will take you to a section on "Thyroid Blood Tests" where test result numbers and this "Grey Zone" are explained. It details which followup tests are recommended....if there are other clinical signs. Reduced appetite and weight loss would trigger me to pursue those tests. Those symptoms may not be typical for 'plain' hyperthyroidism, but could be, say, for kidney issues - and, we know that hyperthyroid can mask kidney values/issues. Here you are: Tanya's Guide......Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Blood Tests.

It's written in plain language, but is a reliable site. You can scroll to the top of that page for a comprehensive coverage of Hyper-T.

Hope that helps.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone had a hyperthyroid cat with less than a normal appetite?
It is called apathetic hyperthyroidism.
The cat is HT, but the symptoms are the opposite one would expect.

My cat was HT, the doctor diagnosed her during a visit. And he said that a small percentage of HT cats can develop this particular form of disease.
My cat would eat less, was quieter, all the opposite of a classic HT case. The diagnosis was confirmed by all tests. She was then treated with I-131.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi profcat.

With a T4 value at 4.2, she would be considered to be well into what's called the "Grey Zone".

I'll give you a reputable reference for this - it will take you to a section on "Thyroid Blood Tests" where test result numbers and this "Grey Zone" are explained. It details which followup tests are recommended....if there are other clinical signs. Reduced appetite and weight loss would trigger me to pursue those tests. Those symptoms may not be typical for 'plain' hyperthyroidism, but could be, say, for kidney issues - and, we know that hyperthyroid can mask kidney values/issues. Here you are: Tanya's Guide......Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Blood Tests.

It's written in plain language, but is a reliable site. You can scroll to the top of that page for a comprehensive coverage of Hyper-T.

Hope that helps.
Yes, her kidney values are perfect right now, but we know treating the thyroid could unmask those issues. Thanks for the link!

My understand is that they won't do the I-131 treatment until the cat is well into the official range of hyperthyroid. But we can check on that again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is called apathetic hyperthyroidism.
The cat is HT, but the symptoms are the opposite one would expect.

My cat was HT, the doctor diagnosed her during a visit. And he said that a small percentage of HT cats can develop this particular form of disease.
My cat would eat less, was quieter, all the opposite of a classic HT case. The diagnosis was confirmed by all tests. She was then treated with I-131.
Ah, I've read this is a possibility-- apathetic hyperthyroidism!

Did she want to eat, but then not want to eat a ton? She's just so much the opposite of our other hyperthyroid cat, Daisy, who got the I-131. But Daisy is also part siamese, so she was yowling and all kinds of hyper with her HT.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I've read this is a possibility-- apathetic hyperthyroidism!

Did she want to eat, but then not want to eat a ton?
My cat was uninterested in food and would just rest, watch out the window, relax.
That was so unusual of her, she had always been a very good eater and also quite lively.
She was also very sensitive, during that period my other cat was very sick and we were worried, so I thought she was just sensing the bad situation. When things went much better for the other cat but she wouldn't eat yet, well I took her to the vet and we found out what she had.