Thyroid food problem

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have not been around for a long time but now I need some info and some advice. My 17 year old Ellie (some of you will remember her) was diagnosed earlier this year with hyperthyroidism, and has been doing very well on Hills Thyroid care pates. She will not touch the croquette dry version. She has put on weight and is much happier in herself. The vet and I decided that it would be better to tackle the problem with diet alone at first and it has has certainly worked so far for Ellie.
But now this food has vanished off the market. I think I bought the last two multipacks available in the whole of France, so I have food for her for about a month. The suppliers are saying out of stock. My daughter has tried in the UK and has the same answer. I have contacted Hills in both countries and all they will say is they are sorry I am having this problem, but no indication of why or whether it will ever be available again. I am now trying to make plans for the future should the tins never reappear.
So my question is, is there any home made diet that others have found to work? There is no commercial equivalent unless I switch to croquettes and make soup out of them! And no guarantee that she would eat that. I have done some research and have no real answers. At this stage I do not want to put Ellie on meds when the diet has proved so beneficial. So any of you with experience of thyroid problems, I would welcome your experience.

ellie.jpg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you may find this thread helpful. MarcyMM MarcyMM mentions cooking for this illness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you may find this thread helpful. MarcyMM MarcyMM mentions cooking for this illness.

[/URL]
Thank you. That is very helpful and just the kind of advice/confirmation I was looking for. At the moment Ellie is on the Hills Thyroid Y/D without any other food, but I will talk to my vet about alternating it. I had certainly seen that minced chicken was a way to go, but was not sure what supplements to add for fibre and vitamins. Now I can see a way forward.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many vets aren't supportive of raw or home cooked diets so don't expect much from your vet. There's a raw and home cooked diet forum here on TCS where you may find a diet that may work for your cat.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not a lot of help...Just wanted to say it's lovely to see you Jenny! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Also there seems to be heaps of stock of it here in Australia, so maybe it's just a temporary thing?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But now this food has vanished off the market. I think I bought the last two multipacks available in the whole of France, so I have food for her for about a month. The suppliers are saying out of stock. My daughter has tried in the UK and has the same answer
I guess you're talking about Hill's Y/D.
I checked, and it seems a few online stores have run out of it, it may seem it is out of stock, but other online (Italian) shops have plenty of it, so you could shop there. Italy and France are in the EU, there's no customs fee or else.

In my experience, this Hill's food didn't work mainly because my cat didn't like it, and after a few cans, she decided not to eat it anymore.
We were also on meds, but eventually I had her treated with the I-131, and this was the ultimate treatment.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nice to see you again jennyr jennyr

:welcomeback1:

I can see the Hills Thyroid Y/D canned and dry for sale on all the Japanese shopping sites I use so hopefully this food is still being made, just out of stock where you are. Would it be worth checking Amazon US and paying the extra to have the food shipped to you?