Throwing up

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Just wanted to see how often your cat throws up after eating?

My cat always has this problem just wanted to see what others experience

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oliver used to. He would "scarf and barf" dry food. But I no longer feed him dry food so that has stopped completely.

If your cat is throwing up, I would take him to the vet. Could be due to a serious health condition. Just beware, the vet will probably try to guilt you into changing the food to either Hills, Royal Canin, or Pro Plan. Even if there is no medical reason.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine used to somewhat frequently (1-2x every couple weeks?) when being fed wet and dry together. Now she only gets wet at mealtimes and has a dry snack overnight. The dry was just generally problematic since it seems to expand in the stomach.

Edit: she never throws up after eating anymore, unless she overexerts herself by immediately running back to/from the litter box or something (1x a month at most). This morning I gave her 55g wet food mixed into 30g water and she handled it just fine. (I am practicing since this is how much she'll eat while I'm out of town.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks L livismom1 I'm going to email my vet this morning anyway. It just in the morning.

Other then the morning he doesn't throw up.

He eats a bit walks away, eats more walks away, that seems to be the biggest culprit

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Feeby has gone too long without eating (e.g.; overnight) she is more inclined to throw up after eating her breakfast. We eliminated this from happening by giving her a few bites of food late at night and very, very early in the morning. She will also sometimes throw up a bit of food a day or two prior to a hairball.

Study/log what your cat is doing, the time of day, the type of food, and see if you can find a pattern.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 8 year old cat throws up occasionally. Sometimes she gets too excited and eats wet food too fast she throws up right after. It’s been like this for many years. Other than that she seems fine. There was once she threw up twice a day for 3 days. I took her to the vet applied some kind of medication on her ear, not sure what it was. But it calmed her down and she was okay after that. She still throws up every now and then though. I just monitor her to make sure she doesn’t do so too often or appears sickly.

I’ve cut down on feeding her wet food that contains jelly because I suspect that could be the culprit. If she eating too fast, I’d distract her a bit to slow her down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! My vet recommended not feeding primal raw pork food, actually she recommended not feeding raw at all

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! My vet recommended not feeding primal raw pork food, actually she recommended not feeding raw at all
Nmy cat also throws up after eating if she's been without food too long. I also feed late at night with a timer. Do you feed dry? It is much easier for a cat to gobble up and not eating pieces.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie used to until i figured out the proper amounts of food to give her but the dry food amounts caused more issues though with the expanding and all after she would eat it. so now its canned food first then put out some dry few hours later for ger to graze as she wants