Throwing Up Cooked Meal No Matter How Much

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We started Candi on Cooking for her. I bought the Alnutrin at first to slowly introduce it to her in a 15 lb turkey. 1 lb of chicken gizzards and 1 lb of Chicken Livers. We cooked the Turkey, liver and gizzards together because she doesn't like Chicken liver or gizzards. Tried that and she turned her nose up at it. She likes Turkey Livers but no one sold them, Walmart or Publix. We cooked everything together in one of the cooking bags to keep all the nutrients in it. Then after it was done my husband grounded up all the meat, I put 1/4 of a bag of the Alnutrin and the juices from the bag from the meats in her food. I didn't want to over do it being I was finishing up her Canidae canned food. Which I may add she loves so much.
We fed her one meal after we got it cooked and she liked it but threw it up. I figured it may have been that she had 1/4 of her canned food that morning maybe it was too much. So then we tired again the next morning only giving her a 1/4 of a tsp of her canned food just enough for her thyroid pill. Then for Breakfast we gave her one of her meals we made up. I went by she eats a 5.5 ounce of canned food a day so I measured out that divided by 2 for each of her meals. Again she threw it up. For the remainder of the day we just fed her, her Canned food and she did fine. I tried again the next morning but only this time just her home cooked meal. I gave her a 1/4 of teaspoon just enough for her medicine and back up it came. I know she can't eat things like Cheese or drink Milk without throwing it up but wonder if there was something about the Premix that she was allergic too. I would love to feed her a home cooked meal but don't know what else to do. Any suggestions. Oh I might ad, we threw everything away meals we had made up and the Premix since she couldn't even eat a 1/4 tsp of it.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she throwing up right after after eating, or is it a while later?

The only thing that comes to mind that might be causing that is if the meats have additives in them, because most, if not all, turkey, and often chicken, in the grocery stores have this rosemary extract in them as a preservative, usually listed in teeny tiny print somewhere on the packaging. I found this to be the case when I was looking for turkey for my kitties raw food in my local grocery stores. It was only at an actual butcher shop where I could get them locally without the additives.
Now I just get the turkey and chicken meat and organs from Hare Today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
dhammargirl, thanks but no we bought the Butterball Turkey that didn't have any kind of spices. She was able to eat the turkey by itself because when we cooked one for us, we always give her some. As for the Chicken Liver and gizzards the same. I make sure there is in them which is why we asked the butcher at our small local grocery store. That is why I wonder if there was something in the Alnutrin that she would be allergic to. I know when we first started I was using a Vitamin Supplement from the Only Natural Pet Store and she had no problem with it. I was just told it wasn't all that she needed.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm....I guess it could be something in the Alnutrin. I use Alnutrin, both the one for meat with bones and the one with eggshell calcium, and haven’t had any issues .

You could try a different supplement, like TC Feline or EZ Feed (not totally sure if the names are correct, I’m sure you could find out more by searching this site ) :hellocomputer:

Anyone else have any suggestions on what the problem could be?:dunno:

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There isn't much in Alnutrin other than the necessary supplements but they do include egg yolk powder. I don't know with any certainty but I imagine that it could be a problem for some cats.

Assuming that the meat was fine (not spoiled) and that your cat has no sensitivities to chicken or turkey, AND, you are sure that you didn't use too much of the pre-mix, then I really have no idea aside from it being something in the mix that immediately doesn't agree with you cats tummy.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aren't Butterball turkeys injected with ingredients to enhance flavor and tenderness, even the fresh ones? Otherwise it would just be "turkey," not a Butterball.

Whatever is in there might not agree with your cat.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to butterball turkeys probably having added salt, that seems like a lot of liver you're putting in there... but I guess it depends on the ratio of meat to organs.

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totsy no it isn't the meat because she can eat turkey by itself and not get sick. Darg that is what I am thinking there must be some kind of ingredient that just didn't agree with her. The only allergy that she has is fish. We can't even give her fish canned food without her itching really bad but chicken or turkey neither one bother her. Azazel, I went by one of the recipes here.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, now that I look again and see the ratio of meat to organs it should be fine.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible that there's something in the Alnutrin that doesn't agree with her: darg darg might well be right about the egg. I seem to recall someone else's cat having difficulty with egg.

That said, even if it wasn't the turkey itself that caused the vomiting, I'd avoid Butterball in the future because of the injected fluid: the extra salt isn't good for cats and they also mention some sort of spices. It can be really hard to find meat without added ingredients! I have a particularly difficult time with turkey in our local stores.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Publix is a big supermarket chain down here. I buy their Greenwise turkey thighs which contain no additives (neither do the Greenwise turkey legs, quarters or breast). Unfortunately, I can't find turkey liver around here (I use freeze dried).

At any rate, all the ground turkey I have seen contains rosemary extract. Whole turkeys have a water/salt/spice solution added. Maybe there are some "organic" brands that don't but Butterball and the store brand whole turkeys I have seen all have it listed.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Publix is a big supermarket chain down here. I buy their Greenwise turkey thighs which contain no additives (neither do the Greenwise turkey legs, quarters or breast). Unfortunately, I can't find turkey liver around here (I use freeze dried).

At any rate, all the ground turkey I have seen contains rosemary extract. Whole turkeys have a water/salt/spice solution added. Maybe there are some "organic" brands that don't but Butterball and the store brand whole turkeys I have seen all have it listed.
The options are pretty much the same in my grocery stores, though they seem to stock turkey pieces (not a store brand but a Cargill brand, if I remember correctly) sporadically. Trader Joe's is more helpful and Whole Foods always used to have good selections of ground turkey and whole pieces but I'm not an Amazon fan so haven't been there in a year or two!

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had another thought in this. If you are cooking a whole turkey, how do you know the weight of the actual meat that you use for the final cat food? This is critically important in order to get the amount of alnutrin correct. Did you deduct the weight of all the bones and everything else that was discarded from the turkey? Also, to keep the alnutrin correct you have to add the additional amount of water calculated for the recipe in addition to the juices saved from the cooking process. The reason is simple ... if you didn't cook the meat, all those juices would be trapped in the meat itself. In other words, you can't count the juices as the water that is also listed in the recipe. If you neglect the additional water and/or neglect to correctly calculate the weight before cooking (and then discarding bone or other parts with no deduction in your weight calculation) you will be adding too much supplement.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had another thought in this. If you are cooking a whole turkey, how do you know the weight of the actual meat that you use for the final cat food? This is critically important in order to get the amount of alnutrin correct. Did you deduct the weight of all the bones and everything else that was discarded from the turkey? Also, to keep the alnutrin correct you have to add the additional amount of water calculated for the recipe in addition to the juices saved from the cooking process. The reason is simple ... if you didn't cook the meat, all those juices would be trapped in the meat itself. In other words, you can't count the juices as the water that is also listed in the recipe. If you neglect the additional water and/or neglect to correctly calculate the weight before cooking (and then discarding bone or other parts with no deduction in your weight calculation) you will be adding too much supplement.
This is such a good point, Darg! I hadn't even thought about the question of weight or the water. And then the amount of Alnutrin.

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We cooked the turkey in one of the turkey bags that you get from the store then my husband cut off all the meat from bones and grounded it up. After he did that and we mixed all the meat together in a large mixing bowl, I added all the juices from the bag along with some filter water. I then used a digital scale to weigh the amount of Alnutrin according to the ratio of the meat. Once I did that I used the digital scale to measure how many ounces to give her per meal. I mean we fixed a 1/4 of a tsp and as soon as she ate just two bites of it, she wouldn't eat it anymore and then she threw it up. That is what makes me believe it has to have something to do with the Premix Vitamins. I don't know what but she never threw up when I was using the Vitamin Supplements from the Only Natural Pet Store.
Also I know it wasn't the meat because we fixed another turkey by butterball for us and she ate it with no problem and loved it. That is why we bought a Turkey to cook just for her food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The meat weight for Alnutrin that's used for boneless meat should come from the raw weight of all the meat (no bone) that you're going to use to make the cat food. The weight of the meat changes during cooking. Theoretically, though, if the bag held all the juices, that would make up for what's normally lost during cooking, meaning the amount of Alnutrin would be, at the very least, pretty close.

It's possible your cat can't eat egg yolk. Are there other foods you feed that have egg in them?

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lisahe lisahe not that I can remember. I know she can't eat Cheese, the smallest amount of canned tuna, or drink milk without throwing up even though she loves them. Which the tuna was always as a treat because of the high mercury count.

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have found a food as close to a home cooked diet called Solistic. After looking at the ingredients of what we were feeding her Merrick Canned Food, it did have egg yolks in it so that wasn't it. We have a winner but do substitute 2 ounces each day with Home Cooked Turkey. I guess she is one of the ones that just can't tolerate the premixes. I do have a question as I was wondering is there a difference between the Premixes and if I buy everything (Vitamins) and just add them myself?

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have found a food as close to a home cooked diet called Solistic. After looking at the ingredients of what we were feeding her Merrick Canned Food, it did have egg yolks in it so that wasn't it. We have a winner but do substitute 2 ounces each day with Home Cooked Turkey. I guess she is one of the ones that just can't tolerate the premixes. I do have a question as I was wondering is there a difference between the Premixes and if I buy everything (Vitamins) and just add them myself?
Some of the pre-mixes have things added that aren't in others like digestive enzymes, yeast, egg yolk, etc. Alnutrin seems to be pretty basic beside maybe the egg yolk. Obviously, you don't have to add non-essentials if you buy all the supplements yourself and only use those that are 100% necessary.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have a question as I was wondering is there a difference between the Premixes and if I buy everything (Vitamins) and just add them myself?
It's hard to say since it depends on the premix and the vitamins you might buy. I agree with what darg darg says: you might want to try starting with just the items that are absolutely necessary.

I'm glad you found some foods that seem to work! One thing to watch out for with Soulistic is that some of their foods are fairly high in carbs. Others, though, are very low! One of the things I like about Soulistic and Weruva is that they have full nutritional information on their sites and it's sorted several ways so it's easy to know what you're buying and feeding. They also have so much variety in their foods that there's something for just about any cat.

Good luck!