Throwing Up 5 Days After Neuter Surgery

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So here I am again! Seems like things never really settle down :(

Richard got neutered this past Friday and we brought him home around 6 in the evening. The vet said everything went well and he was very sleepy as you would expect. I was provided 3-4 days of pain meds to give him as needed and I did give this to him every 12 hours for the first 2 days. Then I went to one dose every 24 hours and now we are 5 or 6 days away from the initial surgery date. He was acting fairly normal after a surgery and isolating a little bit more than usual, resting more, but he has had playful spurts as well. He has been eating normally for the most part. I tried the whole e-collar thing but he was more restless with it on and he wasn’t laying down after hours of pacing around the house. I decided to give in and let him go without the collar.

Now this morning I fed him and his brothers as they were all acting hungry as usual! Richard then proceeded to throw up. So I waited a little bit and tried to feed him again. He threw up again. I am very worried and stressed about this. I can’t call the vet until they open but wanted to post here and see if this is something terrible happening or just a minor setback? It is worth noting I did give him one last dose of pain meds last night around 8. But I figure that would not have upset his stomach over night. He was running around this morning a bit as well and playing with his brothers so I suppose that’s a good sign. He seems to be hungry but can’t keep the food down.

My girlfriend stayed home from work and will try feeding him again in a couple hours to see if he will keep it down. He had not thrown up even once since his surgery and now 5 days later he is sick?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear Richard is having some recent health trouble with vomiting several days after his neuter procedure. I'm glad you will be calling your vet today. In the meantime, here's an Article that may be helpful about what to expect after a neuter surgery: Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

Fingers crossed he's okay. :crossfingers: Please let us know what your vet has to say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear Richard is having some recent health trouble with vomiting several days after his neuter procedure. I'm glad you will be calling your vet today. In the meantime, here's an Article that may be helpful about what to expect after a neuter surgery: Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

Fingers crossed he's okay. :crossfingers: Please let us know what your vet has to say.
Thanks! I am sure he will be fine but you know us pet parents we always worry (sometimes too much)!! I just want him to be happy and healthy. Hopefully he is okay and we can move onward in his recovery without complications.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I am sure he will be fine but you know us pet parents we always worry (sometimes too much)!! I just want him to be happy and healthy. Hopefully he is okay and we can move onward in his recovery without complications.
Believe me, I understand completely. Our cats are an integral part of our family. That's why we love them, worry about them and care for them. :catlove:

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Believe me, I understand completely. Our cats are an integral part of our family. That's why we love them, worry about them and care for them. :catlove:
I got in contact with the vet that did the surgery and they want Richard to come in to get a check up. I am really starting to get nervous that this is something serious and I think I am going to lose my mind at work waiting to take him in tonight. :(

I read that although rare, in some cases cats can develop renal/kidney failure due to surgical complications and Richard has been through so much in the past few months I honestly cannot help but think negatively and worry. He was being fairly sensitive to me petting and touching him last night and then this morning he was vomiting. The surgical site does not look infected so I am just wondering what else it could be.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vet. When I got home from work I was unsure if Richard needed to go or not. But he ate a large amount and within 10 minutes he had thrown up his entire meal. So we took him in and I’m still rather nervous. The vet seemed calm about the whole ordeal. He took Richards temperature, checked his vitals including heartbeat, and looked very closely at his surgical site with bright lights. He also felt his stomach and asked us about his appetite, litter box usage, etc.

The vet thinks he is just extremely stressed from the whole experience of going to get neutered and the pain afterwards. I asked him about why Richard might be vomiting 5 days after surgery and never vomited once until today. He said cats can sometimes have a delayed reaction to stress. He gave Richard a Cerenia injection for anti-nausea and sent us home with some cerenia tablets to dose every 24 hours for a few days. His appetite is there but he can’t keep food down. Does this seem reasonable? I just don’t want to miss something early on that could turn into a major issue.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you brought him into the vet tonight not only to get him examined but for your own peace of mind. Here is a thread about the use of Cerenia for stress and vomiting that may be helpful for you:
Cerenia Anti-vomit Injection For Cats

Fingers and paws crossed he feels better soon. :crossfingers: :bluepaw:

Mary_j

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I searched about this topic and found your post. Can you please let me know about the final result. Hope she is fine and healthy. I am very worried about my cat.
Many thanks

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The OP has not been back for almost 3 years, so I doubt that you will get a reply. The use of Cerenia was mentioned, but that may not be the only course of action depending on what is causing the vomiting. Is your cat vomiting after having been spayed/neutered/other surgical procedure? Vomiting in general? If it is severe, the vet is needed for fluids and support at the least.

Mary_j

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The OP has not been back for almost 3 years, so I doubt that you will get a reply. The use of Cerenia was mentioned, but that may not be the only course of action depending on what is causing the vomiting. Is your cat vomiting after having been spayed/neutered/other surgical procedure? Vomiting in general? If it is severe, the vet is needed for fluids and support at the least.