Throwing thing in water

Tinca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has started throwing toys in his water dish. First he started with mouse and now everything else he plays with… I know it is not a huge problem, but it is annoying

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a tuxedo kitten that puts toys in the water dish. I’m curious about the reasoning as well. Toy mouse at first, now his little spiral toys. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Annoying, yes. Some of my kitties do it too. Washing their kill or drowning it? I watch mine and it really just seems to be more of an extension of play. The spring toys wiggle nicely in water. I noticed that if I do one on one play time, they play less I’m the water but some cats just like playing in water. My part Bengals especially! Water bowls splashed! I got a heavy bowl because they would flip the light ones over. Lol messy! I now keep cloth toys on a room away from the water but the waterproof toys I just don’t worry about anymore. Last Spring I bought a kids wading pool for the Bengals. They adored it! They quit taking toys in the water but waded innthemselves. Lol A slightly larger pool caught any splashes. A bowl in the bathroom sink helped with the others. Toys in the sink that get wet aren’t As much of a mess. They like to drink from the faucet and one cat managed to turn the faucet on! Yikes! If it is water on the floor that bothers you, put a tray under the water bowl or puppy pee pads. If it’s a wet toy, hard plastic dries easily. Good luck! Kitties! :lol:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know why a cat would put things in its water dish but I can theorize.

Although it’s a common belief that cats don’t like water, it’s not universal.
Many cats do like water. The caveat is that the water can’t be bigger than they are.

Casper plays in the bathtub after we take a shower and he frequently drinks from the faucet.
He’ll come downstairs and hop up on the sofa to get attention and, when we pet him, his head will be all wet. We always laugh when that happens because we know right where he has been.

When we had a Siamese Fighting Fish, he used to play in the fish bowl a lot.

So, it’s my guess that cats that dunk their toys in their water dish are playing with water like the way Casper plays in the tub.

What do you think would happen if you left some water drip from the faucet of your tub or sink? Do you think your cats would play in it, too?

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have one that does this! And it’s the cat that like water, so that theory may be correct. (She’s always really sure she wants to get in a bath or shower with me.)
Of course I also found a toy in the litter box yesterday (yuck) and I’m not sure about that one!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that does this and yes, it is annoying to pick out Pom poms, cat springs and my hair ties pretty much every day. I have never figured if they are left for safekeeping or just amusement but my Willow will only play fetch with a soggy Pom Pom so it must have something to do with the feel of the wet toy as well

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a major water baby. She loves hanging out in the kitchen sink. I walk into the kitchen and she’s sitting in there, scratching the faucet, wanting me to turn it on. She loves toilets, showers, the bath tub. She’s obsessed with water.

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a major water baby. She loves hanging out in the kitchen sink. I walk into the kitchen and she’s sitting in there, scratching the faucet, wanting me to turn it on. She loves toilets, showers, the bath tub. She’s obsessed with water.

Attachments

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I guess Willow isn't that weird after all! She "helps"me water the plants, which is very annoying and potentially fatal to next Spring's seedlings, but on the positive side she keeps me company when I'm in the bathtub, loves to go hiking after a storm or in a light rain, and snuggled up under my raincoat in complete contentment and trust when we got caught out in a downpour.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Same here - Feora will often dunk her toy mice in the water fountain and then jump up and drop them on my lap as a nice soggy present.

When she was on cage rest she would dunk them in the water bowl and then roll them in the litter tray - ugh. Little monster!! :)