Throw up

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

So my five year old cat has been throwing up a lot recently. To give you a time frame, she has thrown up everyday since Thursday. At first it was like big chucks of food and what I imagine is hair. Today when she throw up it was just water. I started to give her some hairball control treats on Friday, hoping it would help but I am not really sure if they are doing anything. I am planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow (Monday) just to make sure it isn't any illness but do you guys have any advice as to how to handle the situation? I am really worried. Some backstory, she throws up like any cat does but she has never thrown up this many times before. Usually its like every couple months, she is a strictly indoor cat, and she has the same food she has always has Wellness: dry food (she hates wet food).

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she drinking water and using her litter box to urinate and having bowel movements (pooping)?
Just trying to determine if she is constipated? or blockage?

You mentioned strictly indoors. Could she have eaten anything toxic, or poisonous,...cleaning agents, flowers, people food,...anything other than the Wellness dry?

Also can you get a video of her throwing up, so that you can show your Vet.
It would help to know how and when after eating that she throws up, too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have to add a few more questions. Is she eating her regular food at all? I take it she is eating the hairball treats? Does she throw up every time she eats or drinks anything (in addition to how/when, as asked above)? Lethargic? Other abnormal behaviors? You could try to give her some butter/margarine - just a dab on her paw or from your finger to lick, in case it does have something to do with hairballs. But, just one of day of doing so, before she sees the vet, might not make a difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Have to add a few more questions. Is she eating her regular food at all? I take it she is eating the hairball treats? Does she throw up every time she eats or drinks anything (in addition to how/when, as asked above)? Lethargic? Other abnormal behaviors? You could try to give her some butter/margarine - just a dab on her paw or from your finger to lick, in case it does have something to do with hairballs. But, just one of day of doing so, before she sees the vet, might not make a difference.
She is eating just fine, and most of the time she throws up when I am not around. For insances I will wake up and find throw up. Today in the morning when she throw up water, is was maybe thirty mins after she had some of the hairball treats. But like I said she is still eating and drinking normally.

I will try giving her some butter to see how it works out!

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have any house plants? Anything she might have gotten into?
We do have some house plants but they have been with us since she was a baby and she has never interacted with them. Plus she spends most of her day with me and I have not seen her get into anything she is not allowed too.

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she drinking water and using her litter box to urinate and having bowel movements (pooping)?
Just trying to determine if she is constipated? or blockage?

You mentioned strictly indoors. Could she have eaten anything toxic, or poisonous,...cleaning agents, flowers, people food,...anything other than the Wellness dry?

Also can you get a video of her throwing up, so that you can show your Vet.
It would help to know how and when after eating that she throws up, too.
Yes, she is drinking water, using the litter and popping. As far as I know, no she has not gotten into contact with any cleaning agents, flowers or people food. I am really strict with her and what she is allowed to have. That is why I am so worried. The only different in our routine is the fact that I am home all the time because of the virus.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is drinking water, using the litter and popping. As far as I know, no she has not gotten into contact with any cleaning agents, flowers or people food. I am really strict with her and what she is allowed to have. That is why I am so worried. The only different in our routine is the fact that I am home all the time because of the virus.
How is your cat doing today?
Did you manage to get in to see the Vet?

It's good that she is still eating, drinking, and peeing and pooping...but like you mentioned, the fact that she is throwing up so many times is truly worrying.
If she is a long haired cat, then she may have swallowed a lot of fur, while grooming, but I don't think that she would be vomiting so many days in a row.
You can try raising her food dish, on to some upside-down tupperware or filled cardboard boxes, or adding a golfball sized item into her food bowl, if you notice that she eats too fast.

If you can, I would also bring a sample of her stool, so that the Vet can do a fecal test and check for parasites or worms.
(My Vet did mention, that a cat will usually vomit and have diarrhea if they have parasites. Even indoor cats can get fleas which can lead to tapeworms.) Indoor cats can also eat insects which get inside, but I don't think that would lead to vomiting for days in a row.
Bringing in a sample of what she is throwing up would also be helpful, to show the Vet.

Sometimes cats do develop allergies to one of the ingredients in their food, too, especially when the companies change the formulas.

Please update us, to hear how your cat is doing.

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A little update: Since I posted the thread she has not thrown up. I have continued to give her the hairball control treats and everything else is still also normal! I am still on the look out and well take her to the vet whenever she throw up next