Three Kittens...

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
There are currently 3 kittens underneath our porch with mom close by. They are not protected from the elements. Do we leave them where they are? Will mom move them accordingly?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't the porch offer any protection? Have you thought of putting out food for the mom cat? Iff you do, put out kitten kibble and can if you can. She will need the extra nutrition as long as she is nursing the kittens. Then they will need kitten food.

Any chance you could bring in mom and kittens? There may be local rescue groups that could help you.

Please keep us updated! EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Mama cat is part of a group that has taken residency at my mom's house. She was the only female that we couldn't catch tp get spayed. They're under the porch steps. There are large gaps between the slats. Bringing mom in definitely will not happen, she will not let anyone near her. I guess we will have to leave them to her to nurse. We can put out kitten food.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Even though she will probably move them...could we make a box for her on the screened in porch?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep putting food out for her to entice her to stay! If they are safe there, she might not move them again! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Also, when the kittens are more mobile, that might be an opportunity to see if you can somehow convince them to move into your screened in porch? If they come with the enticement of food, she may follow?

Please update us!

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I will! I'll post a picture in a second. They can't be more than a few days old. I have hard kitten food out for new mom to crunch on, placed inside the entryway to the underside of the house.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww!!!! Mama would LOVE some kitten canned food if that is possible! I would be scheming of a set up with clean blankets and a box - maybe not this second, but soon. Then, add some canned food inside the entryway to the box??? In the same general vicinity that she has them in now, space permitting.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I love the idea of trying to get her to move them into a box, but I don't think she will. I can for sure offer it, with some soft towels, and see what happens. I'm just glad she moved them to a drier, more safe location, although it isn't ideal (lots of insulation and who knows what else under the house...). Her mom (Mama Cat) and brother (Handsome) were there with her, standing guard as she moved them.

We need to go pick up some wet kitten food, probably tomorrow. The only read I have kitten specific dry is because I was going to take some to the local shelter...but now we have use for it here.

Tiny (new mama cat's name) came back up on the porch to grab a few mouthfuls of the Friskies wet we put out for them morning and evening, so she is getting what she needs.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a humane trap? You may be able to use the kittens as "bait" and catch the whole family.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to scare her off and make her reject the kittens. She is the most fearful of all the semiferals. She will be getting fixed. Her mom and sister (Streak) have been already, she evaded every trap we set out, and now we have 3 more kittens. I'm hoping they won't be as fearful when they see the other cats getting loved on...

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. We are loaded up on kitten chow and FF Kitten wet food. I try to make sure that Tiny is the sole recipient of the FF at morning and evening meals. There is kitten kibble out at all times now.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Update: All three kittens are out and about, absolutely adorable, and rulers of the back deck! They're approximately 9 weeks old. Two of them (the little calico ones) will let you hold them- they aren't wild about it and hiss, but they will allow it. The other absolutely will not let anything near him- he lashes out and hisses and spits (sounds like an air gun!) and claws.

They are still nursing but I have seen the two little females (I'm assuming they are females) eating wet food. They are still baffled by the hard food and don't quite know what to make of it yet!

What would be a good age to spay Tiny (mama)? Maybe another month? That would put the kitten at 12 to 13 weeks. And then spaying the two little calicos- when should that happen?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: All three kittens are out and about, absolutely adorable, and rulers of the back deck! They're approximately 9 weeks old. Two of them (the little calico ones) will let you hold them- they aren't wild about it and hiss, but they will allow it. The other absolutely will not let anything near him- he lashes out and hisses and spits (sounds like an air gun!) and claws.

They are still nursing but I have seen the two little females (I'm assuming they are females) eating wet food. They are still baffled by the hard food and don't quite know what to make of it yet!

What would be a good age to spay Tiny (mama)? Maybe another month? That would put the kitten at 12 to 13 weeks. And then spaying the two little calicos- when should that happen?
She might get pregnant again before then?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mama kitty can be spayed NOW. She’ll still be able to nurse afterwards.

Spay the calico kittens at 12 weeks. You’ll need to trap the little guy and get him neutered soon too. It’s probably going to be easier to catch him while he’s still small.

EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie