Three cats, one litterbox?

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I have three cats and until March of this year they used to do their business in my backyard (they stopped using their litterboxes completely so I removed them about two or three years ago because they were just taking up space), recently I decided to reintroduce them to their litterboxes because I think it's better for them to use them and I can monitor their movements, now my problem is, the smell is too strong, I had forgotten how strong the smell was! I'm thinking of buying a litterbox with a top entry but my issue is that they're very expensive! One of them costs the same as my three separate litterboxes, so I'm not sure if buying three of those it's worth it because a) space, b) money. Would it be possible to have just that one for my three cats? I'm open to any recommendations, thank you!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
While some cats will tolerate only one box it isn't something I would do especially with three or more cats, think the family home with only one toilet and every one lining up outside while someone showers.

I don't think top entry boxes contain the smell any better than a regular one. They also don't keep large dogs out like they advertise.

It would also be hard for an elderly or disabled cat to jump and contort themselves to use it. Even some younger cats might refuse to use it.

I would try a good litter like arm and hammer and three hooded boxes before a top entry one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While some cats will tolerate only one box it isn't something I would do especially with three or more cats, think the family home with only one toilet and every one lining up outside while someone showers.

I don't think top entry boxes contain the smell any better than a regular one. They also don't keep large dogs out like they advertise.

It would also be hard for an elderly or disabled cat to jump and contort themselves to use it. Even some younger cats might refuse to use it.

I would try a good litter like arm and hammer and three hooded boxes before a top entry one.
thank you! i'll try the hooded boxes with a new litter :)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would have one box per cat. I also would not use a hooded box. It is my understanding they can "trap" ammonia on the inside and you just don't want that.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The more open a box is, the more the litter, the lesser the smell. Instead of investing in an expensive box, more than 1 box (as much as you can manage with deep filled litter) is a better solution. Of course the ideal is one per cat plus one more but I would go nuts if I had 4 boxes in my current apartment

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have one box per cat. I also would not use a hooded box. It is my understanding they can "trap" ammonia on the inside and you just don't want that.
My one cat only uses a covered box. He refuses to use an open tray. I haven't noticed it traps ammonia any more than an uncovered one. It also doesn't have a flap on the front like many of them do And has a vent in the top

Maybe being totally closed with no ventilation is what traps the ammonia.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use one Catit Jumbo hooded box for 2 cats, with the flap permanently open. Yes it does trap smells if it is kept closed. What I do is I add a few scoops of pine litter to the usual sand litter which I’m using. The pine really helps to absorb a lot of the odour.