Three and a Half Months in - Cat Introduction

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there; I'm three and a half months in on my cat introduction between Lil Cat (female athlete) and Lanny (male sleeper).

Only three issues remain. One is I still need to give Lil Cat a time out in my bedroom so I can play with Lanny uninterrupted. I do it in a gentle loving way and hoping over time Lil Cat can not charge in and take over while it's Lanny's turn.

Second is maybe not an issue but would love your thoughts. At night Lil Cat sleeps in Lanny's bed. I used to move her out of it so Lanny could go back in. While I sleep, Lil Cat climbs right back into Lanny's bed and crowds Lanny so bad, he moves and sleeps on the floor. Last night is the first time I woke in middle of night to see Lil Cat sleeping in her own bed so I praised her. Should I just let them work these logistics out themselves? Or should I continue to play cop and move Lil Cat out of Lanny's bed?

Third issue is Lanny allows me to hold him standing up and allows short periods of scratching on his head. He's shrinking far less from me. But he still will not cuddle on my lap or in bed. I'm just being patient as many others have coached me here. I also understand he may not be a cuddler even after a year's time. So all in all things are going really well. Play time and bed time are the only things. Lil Cat was a street gal when the shelter rescued her. She really loves being loved. And playing was the way to her heart. As long as I show her she's my #1 Girl, while making connection with Lanny, I think she will tolerate more relationship with Lanny.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Furballsmom - :lol: your username makes me laugh out loud

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had the best Christmas gift ever. After having Lanny for 4 months, he finally allows me to pet him and he approaches me much more. He sometimes even jumps on my lap on the way to somewhere else. I'll take what I can get. His eyes look softer to me, not as afraid. The boy loves his treats, food and naps. Lil Cat is also allowing me to play with Lanny without barging in. I'm really happy. Lanny is also fighting back a little more strongly when Lil Cat nips him from behind. Which is good. I want him to feel confident to take care of himself and tune her in. I was doing it for a while but now that I see him asserting his right to space, I'm letting him tune her in. He'll meow loud and charge at her and she'll go scampering which I think is mother nature and healthy. She's not sneaking up from behind as much. I still brush her and hold her and make sure she knows I love her. Such cute little dynamics between cats.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news. Sometimes the jumping on your lap while seemingly on his way somewhere else is really a test of whether your lap is safe or not. It may take fifty tries before he reaches the conclusion that yes, it is, but it is great to know he is working on it.