Three and a half legged much loved abomination is in pain.

Cheshire-hotep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a one year old kitten who only had three and a half legs when I got her she was found in a bush outside my apartment during a thunderstorm. At the time her leg looked raw but very much on the mend. And she didn't really favor it too much and my dog Arya loved her immediately. So as I mentioned I have had her for a year and just recently her little half leg has started to irritate her it seems to be causing pain she will flail the nub around while meowing loudly and running in circles backwards until I can convince her to stop and relax. I think it could be growing pains made extra painful to the half nub. My plucky Kitty is in pain and I don't know what to do. Do I have it amputated or should I just seek out medication some kind of pain reliever? Does anybody have any advice?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You definitely need a consultation. Depending on where the leg is missing, it may be a huge source of irritation to her and depending on the cause, there may be pain. Amputations are done of the entire limb for reasons that you can probably understand from watching your little cat.

The cat was born with a missing part of his leg or did this appear to be an injury which somehow healed?

Amputations are not as gruesome as they seem, they are neatly done, and animals adapt very quickly and go on to lead normal lives. I had a three legged GSD who carried on very well once the diseased leg was gone. Members of TCS also have amputee cats who have made great recoveries. Amputations usually cost less than intricate surgery, which is money wasted if there is no guarantee of returning to good health.

Get him to a vet and see what can be done. Thank you for rescuing this kitten.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You will need to see your vet, and probably the half-leg will be amputated. Don't have any fears about this. She'll learn to move just fine, and that half-leg won't be getting irritated anymore. Cats (and dogs) generally do much better with full limb amputations because they don't try to use that limb anymore.