Thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried RR a while back but I don't like the menadione in it. However, Blue Wilderness or Merrick have good foods :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats for 60 years and they have led good, healthy lives eating whatever i could afford. Now that so much more is known about healthy diets, I would research different foods and see what is happening with them. Google it. Some cats absolutely refuse wet food, and if this is so, definitely encourage water consumption. i set several bowls around the house to entice them to drink. Or get a fountain. There are many out there that predict dire outcomes if a cat has been fed a dry diet. And though a wet diet may be the way to go for water to be consumed and is 'healthier', if cats won't eat it it doen't matter does it? Try to encourage wet food, and go from there. I encourage you to buy the best food that you researched to be the healthiest, that you can afford, and enjoy that precious little one as much as you can. That is what life is about. PS i have a feeling that if a product is hurting animals that it is being given to, in this day and age it wouldn't be on the market long! Manufacturers do not want their products to be known to cause harm and do a lot of research and trials before introducing it.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Rachel Ray pet food is garbage. I would recommend feeding as much wet food as possible and minimizing the dry.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
PS i have a feeling that if a product is hurting animals that it is being given to, in this day and age it wouldn't be on the market long! Manufacturers do not want their products to be known to cause harm and do a lot of research and trials before introducing it.
I agree that this should definitely be the case, but unfortunately the numerous pet food recalls and sudden deaths of cats and dogs due to pet food over the years prove otherwise. Plus, no pet food company does long-term trials of foods. The big ones do trials over several months, but nothing that would anticipate long-term health effects.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CameronJay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much y’all I’ll do my research She drinks plenty of water she doesn’t not like wet food I bought her “whole hearted” I think that’s what it’s called wet food just to try she did not like it. I’ll keep looking

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much y’all I’ll do my research She drinks plenty of water she doesn’t not like wet food I bought her “whole hearted” I think that’s what it’s called wet food just to try she did not like it. I’ll keep looking
I would keep trying different kinds of wet foods. Cats won’t get enough water by drinking alone.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always add a bit extra water to her wet food to increase water intake. Mine gets both wet and dry food daily, I add water to each wet food serving.

I don't have experience with Rachael Ray food so can't comment there but some grain-free dry foods seem to have higher phosphorus levels than some grainy AND some other grain-free foods. Personally especially at senior ages I would try to keep the phosphorus level in food as low as possible. My adult cat eats Acana Wild Prairie for example which is advertised as both for adult cats and kittens, and Acana's other versions have like 0,1-0,4% higher phosphorus levels. Same with Champion Pet Foods' other brand Orijen. Their kitten food has lower phosphorus than the other versions.