Thoughts That Worry Me

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have anyone else to talk to about this situation, and you guys are the only ones that know I have two very wonderful cats that I love. But lately I've had a feeling in the back of my head that keeps biting at me, and I wanted to share, but I'm worried about getting attacked for it; so let me go ahead and get it out of the way.

I adore Prince and Nikita with all my heart and wouldn't change anything with them. Growing up though, I've always been a dog person. Ever since Scooter, when I was a teenager, that passed away, my grandparents have never wanted another dog. So, I always said I would have a dog when I was able. I got Prince, as you know, back in November and he charmed me to death-and those of you that know Nikita's story know why I call her Nikita the 3rd, and I would go insane with grief if I ever lost her.

I've got another 13 month lease on my apartment, and they only allow two pets. It hasn't been an issue until recently that the old longing for a dog has started to bite back. It hasn't affected my interaction with Prince and Nikita at all, because they are just so loveable and I can't help but to scoop them up and just pet them-but every now and then I find myself wishing for a dog, and it worries me because I don't want to resent my kitties, though I don't think I ever would.

The real thing that scares me is the small thought in the back of my head that I should rehome one of them so I could have a dog; but that is something I don't think I could or would ever want to do. As you remember, I went nuts with worry when I had to send Prince to the vet because he was limping, and all he had was a small sprain; or when I came home from work and couldn't find Nikita anywhere only to have her walk across the floor right as I was about to send out a lost cat notice on the Neighborhood app.

Still, even when I only had Prince, I was always thinking about the perfect dog companion for him; and he was so young (just turned 1 this month) that it would have been easier for him to get along and acquainted with a dog. I just wish my apartment didn't have a maximum pet limit, of course then I'd have socialize a dog and two cats haha....just some feelings I wanted to get off my chest.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice on the apartment situation, because my building manager either doesn't know or doesn't care about the one-pet limit. I've been able to take advantage of that.

Would you be interested in a small breed? I think they would be able to get along better with cats, and certainly couldn't scare them or cause injury the way a bigger dog could.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it’s not the same, but could you volunteer at a local shelter for some doggo love? Then you can stick out your 13 month lease but get some of the dog interactions you are longing for.

Not perfect of course, but I think there is nothing wrong with your desire for a dog. They are a totally different type of love than a cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm almost too honest to deceive my apartment complex. I feel like that'd be a good way to lose the legitimate pets you have, plus incur a hefty fee and possibly get kicked out of the apartment....

I do enjoy volunteering at the animal control place, but I haven't done that in a while.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could simply ask your landlord if they would let you have a dog as a special case, you never know. And if they definitely say no, then look at 13 months of solid cat time to be treasured, then look for another apartment that allows 3 pets.

:catlove:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can understand your longing for a dog. I love dogs too and can barely talk about our dog since he passed away without tearing up. :sniffle: However, I have always had cats and could not live without a cat in the house. I don't think our present cat would do well with a dog so I would not want to upset the apple cart. Our previous cat was the opposite, I think she thought she was a dog. ;)

I agree with KarenKat KarenKat that volunteering at a shelter until your lease is up might be the perfect compromise. Perhaps you could even dog sit for a neighbor, friend or co-worker. Anything that would fill the void of missing a dog in your life. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you're right, volunteering probably would be best. I haven't gone to volunteer since Peaches though, this wonderful older dog that was at the shelter. She was so sweet, always sitting and laying by me, so calm and quiet. I became so attached and was thinking about bringing her in, but was told that they would be sending her to foster care because she had a very bad case of heartworm. So bad that the vet said if they operated, there was a one percent chance of her surviving :(.

It was heartbreaking. I love to volunteer, but sometimes it's hard not to become attached

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where you live, but where I am landlords are actually not allowed to impose a pet ban or a pet limit, and that people are free to have their pets with restrictions (Responsibly of course). Even if it they say so themselves on paper, you are obliged to bring up the matter to them and counter. Maybe you can research on local by laws in your region?

Anyhoo, I would suggest to keep both your current kitties and wait it out. You never know what the future might bring - maybe in a few years, you will be able to buy a house of your own and be able to be blessed with all three companions and then some! :) I think the wait would be totally worth it. Remember that your circumstance/obstacle is only temporary.

I currently have a doggie along with my kitties. I would never ever ever give up either species for the other. I really think you would feel too guilty to be able to enjoy a dog if you gave up another pet. In any case, when someone makes a commitment to a pet, that is a forever decision. Your life is stable and fine, no warrant to give up something, Even if you would never do it, don't consider making a big decision on a living creature over a temporary thing.

Nevertheless don't feel guilty for wanting a doggie either, there is a way to work around this!

As other's mentioned you can volunteer at a shelter or a guide dog training center, become a pet sitter or dog walker, or even take part in foreign causes like Soi Dog or Nowzad. You can donate, create awareness or even foster a dog in Afghanistan or Thailand all from the comfort of your own home! You can get updates, videos, pictures, newsletters etc Maybe even in the long run, you can actually adopt the foreign doggo by the time your lease is up.

Hang in there :hugs: Love your kitties, relax your mind and give yourself a break, and know that one day you will definitely have a canine in your life to compliment your furry family.