Thoughts on this Ragdoll Breeder

angelnimya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I live in Canada and am thinking about adopting from this breeder Home - Pleasantdoll Ragdolls
I have been in touch with her a bit and she seems like a good breeder. But I haven’t adopted from a breeder before. Does anyone here have experience with her or thoughts on her?

Last edited by a moderator:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This looks like a real website from a good breeder to me. While I do not have a Ragdoll I do have a Maine Coon and have gotten really good at recognizing fake breeders fast. You always want to be sure they have the information of the parents on the site and this one gives all of it clearly.

I do know one breeder in New Jersey called BriaDolls. Long story behind how I came to know them not worth telling here, but she is a good breeder and her cats are lovely. You may want to take a look for comparison sake. You can see how similar the websites are as far as the information given.

Home

There's a few groups on Facebook devoted to Bad Catteries and they are useful in helping recognize a good or bad breeder. If you are on FB I'd suggest joining one of them. The one I belong to is "Bad Catteries Around the World", be forewarned there can be some drama in these groups because you're dealing with a touchy subject but the underlying info is worth the bother.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For breeders I would only go to ones that show their adult cats, does not overbreed, has a waiting list, and spays/neuters all kittens who leave no sooner than 12 weeks old. I would also require a facetime chat to see the parents and living conditions. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelnimya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I posted on here a few weeks ago about another breeder and I’m not sure if I was supposed to ask it in that thread since this is a similar question. Anyways,
I have been researching more Ragdoll Breeders and Canada and wanted to know what you all think of this site/cattery: ADEN RAGDOLLS - Ragdoll Cats Breeder in Ontario Canada
Their name is Aden Ragdolls and I saw they were on the TICA website which is a good sign, but I just wanted second opinions.

Thanks again and Meowy Christmas everyone!

angelnimya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

So I’ve decided to go ahead and adopt a ragdoll kitten. I’m wondering if you think
www.cca-afc.com is a good site to find breeders from in Canada?
I’m getting a ragdoll kitten and have contacted a few catteries, I’m wondering if it’s okay to contact a few at once and see what they say? It’s my first time getting a kitten from a breeder so I’m a bit nervous lol. Any advice would be helpful, I’ve done a lot of research but I’m not sure about proper etiquette with Breeders.
Any advice from breeders or others would be helpful.
Thankyou

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry you didn't get a response to your previous message about Aden Ragdolls. That breeder's site doesn't look as promising to me as the previous site you mentioned at the top of this thread (Pleasantdoll Ragdolls). Are you still in contact with both of those breeders?

Are there breeder listings on www.cca-afc.com ? I don't see them.

Yes, it's okay to contact more than one breeder at once. Just make sure they know you are contacting multiple breeders, and don't ask a breeder to hold a kitten for you if you are also considering a kitten from another breeder.

angelnimya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there lutece lutece thats alright.
I have decided to go with Pleasantdolls since I have been in contact with her the most 😊 I have some questions a bit unrelated.

So if a breeder breeds a female blue mitted and a male blue mitted. What is the likelihood of them producing a female blue mitted kitten? I have tried reading a bit of genetics, but I’m not sure . Are mitted patterns more common in females than in males or are they about equal?

Thanks again for your response

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If both parents are blue mitted, the kittens would most likely be blue point like the parents, with some amount of white spotting. (If the parents both carry chocolate, you could also see some lilac point kittens.)

As far as the amount of white spotting on the kittens, it's most likely that the parents' mitted pattern is a minimal expression of the "white spotting" gene. In that case, each parent would have one copy of white spotting, and their kittens would inherit varying amounts of white from the parents. Some kittens would be expected to have minimal (mitted) or no white, there may also be kittens with more white (bicolor or high white).

Another possibility is that the parents' mitted pattern may be a result of being homozygous for the recessive Birman gloving gene, in which case most or all of their kittens might be mitted. I know that the Birman gloving gene has been found in Ragdolls, but I don't know how common it is.

White spotting patterns are not connected to being male or female. The only sex-linked color gene that we know about in cats is the red gene (orange/ginger).

angelnimya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
lutece lutece Oh I see, thank you this is very helpful. But what if for example the mother is blue mitted and the father is blue bicolour. I’m just asking because the breeder has two different kings she is considering and I’ll be getting one from the litter 😊 Lol so I’m just wondering the chances, I’m hoping the queen has a blue mitted girl

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colors are easier to predict, compared to the precise amount of white that the kittens will have. We can guess that the kittens will likely be bluepoint with some amount of white... some might have no white, some mitted, some bicolor or even high white.

The breeder might also have an idea of the white markings that her bloodlines usually produce. So I suggest that you ask her these questions, too :)

Regardless of the amount of white on the kitten that the breeder eventually has available for you... I think you will probably fall in love with your kitten and feel that it is the most beautiful kitten in the world :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some things about the new breeder you linked that don't look as good. I'm comparing to Pleasant Dolls' web site as a baseline, since you were already talking to Pleasant Dolls.
  • The new breeder's kittens go to homes too early. One page on the site says 8 weeks, another page says 8-10 weeks. Either way, it's too early.
  • The kittens are not spayed / neutered before placement. Pleasant Dolls' web site says the kittens are spayed / neutered before going to homes.
  • Adult cats are identified on the web site only by call name (for example "Queen Ella") rather than the full name of the cat. The web site claims "multiple grand champion bloodlines" but the cats have no titles or even cattery names listed.
  • The listed prices are higher than Pleasant Dolls, but you are still going to have the additional expense of having your kitten spayed / neutered, as well as all the rest of the kitten shots (at 8-10 weeks a kitten will have only had one set of shots). Relatively high prices, in addition to costing you more money up front, can be a negative sign that a breeder is primarily in it for profit. I don't know what Ragdoll breeders generally charge, but you might want to compare prices with some known reputable Ragdoll breeders to get an idea of the going price.
The bottom line for me, though, is the age at which the kittens are placed. I would not consider getting a kitten from a breeder that places kittens so early. It's not good for the kittens and it tells me this is not the type of breeder I would want to buy a kitten from.

angelnimya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's not easy to find a breeder with available kittens right now. Ever since the beginning of the pandemic, most breeders with any kind of visible web presence have been flooded with inquiries.

The best advice I can give is to take your time finding a good breeder, and if you are anxious to adopt a kitten or cat sooner, consider one from a rescue or shelter. It's best not to work with breeders who show signs of being less reputable or responsible in their breeding practices, even if it's tempting because they advertise kittens available soon.

angelnimya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi lutece lutece no worries, I was just curious and looking around at other breeders in case Pleasantdolls does not have a blue mitted girl this year. But I will definitely and most likely go with them. I want first and most foremost my kitten to be healthy and come from a good and responsible breeder. :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know a reputable breeder in New Jersey if you are interested. They are TICA registered, kittens go home between 12-14 weeks which is more the range I'd expect to see.
Home
her FB page is
Briadolls Ragdolls
Sometimes adult cats that are being retired are up for sale too.
FYI our Maine Coon was not spayed beforehand because they recommend that breed to be spayed a bit later than domestics. I don't know what the recommendation is for Ragdolls but this one point I wouldn't necessarily hold against the breeder.
EDIT: I SEE ALREADY GAVE YOU THIS INFO.

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI our Maine Coon was not spayed beforehand because they recommend that breed to be spayed a bit later than domestics. I don't know what the recommendation is for Ragdolls but this one point I wouldn't necessarily hold against the breeder.
Some breeders don't spay/neuter before placement, and I don't consider that a red flag... although it is a positive sign if a breeder does spay/neuter before placement.

However, my point was that when comparing prices of breeders (such as comparing Pleasant Dolls with this new breeder), you are getting more value if the breeder has already done the spay/neuter and multiple vet visits / kitten shots before you get the kitten. When a breeder sells kittens very young with minimal vet care invested in that kitten, and on top of that has higher prices, it raises concerns for me.

(BTW, I know MC breeders that do early spay/neuter. I have not heard of actual breed specific research that would indicate early spay/neuter has negative effects for any breed of cat, have you? Older veterinarians and European breeders have been slower to accept early spay/neuter, but in my opinion this is mostly because old habits die hard. For spay/neuter of dogs, there is some evidence of negative effects and breed specific concerns, but cats are not dogs. Research has failed to find negative effects in cats.)

angelnimya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi sivyaleah sivyaleah oh I see. Have you heard of https://elegantragdollcattery.com/ in Texas? I looked it up and they are on TICA but you actually have to look in the directory because they are not on the main breeder listings. I looked up complaints and it came up with a cattery of the same name apparently. But when I checked with the breeder it’s a guy and not Jessica whom people complained about.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Web sites that have a lot of kittens showing available are often scams (you send them money and there is no kitten). There are a lot of scam sites out there. They copy information and pictures from other sites. Sometimes scam sites also copy someone's cattery name and pretend to be that cattery.

With this web site, I would guess that it is likely to be a scam, because there are a lot of kittens shown as available, and when I use Google image search for the kitten images, I see the same images popping up in other places online.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some breeders don't spay/neuter before placement, and I don't consider that a red flag... although it is a positive sign if a breeder does spay/neuter before placement.

However, my point was that when comparing prices of breeders (such as comparing Pleasant Dolls with this new breeder), you are getting more value if the breeder has already done the spay/neuter and multiple vet visits / kitten shots before you get the kitten. When a breeder sells kittens very young with minimal vet care invested in that kitten, and on top of that has higher prices, it raises concerns for me.

(BTW, I know MC breeders that do early spay/neuter. I have not heard of actual breed specific research that would indicate early spay/neuter has negative effects for any breed of cat, have you? Older veterinarians and European breeders have been slower to accept early spay/neuter, but in my opinion this is mostly because old habits die hard. For spay/neuter of dogs, there is some evidence of negative effects and breed specific concerns, but cats are not dogs. Research has failed to find negative effects in cats.)
I agree with you on all points. I also haven't heard of any conclusive evidence spaying/neutering early has any effect on MC development. Just pointing out that some breeders will not have this procedure done beforehand since they believe it does. So I'd imagine other breeders of other types of cat have a similar outlook. I certainly would have preferred not to have had to deal with this had I a choice. The other breeder that we're still on the list with does spay/neuter before sending their kittens home.