Thoughts on these brands?

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello
Currently we are looking at dry food brands for my daughter's cat. He is a mix of raw and canned feed for the most part, but we utilize a dry food as treats. Trying to pick something fairly decent but won't break the bank either. Currently considering
The best quality and healthy food for kittens and cats | Oven-Baked - The best quality and healthiest food for adult cats | Chicken | Oven-Baked
Quality Cat Food | FirstMate Pet Foods - Chicken Meal With Blueberries Formula for Cats | FirstMate
Is there any huge red flags with either?
He doesn't seem to have any issues with proteins but are trying to limit him as much as possible just because of the headaches we have had with my older girl
Thanks!

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Which specific dry formula are you looking for with both and where (country) are you located?

The main problem I am seeing with both of these, all the formulas I glanced at with both, would be they are both very carb heavy with a lot of grains. If your guy is used to raw and canned food, his system will probably have a hard time with the grains. A good treat option for cats who have a fairly good diet already would be freeze dried treats. The ones that are just meat freeze dried. You can get the dog version, which usually comes in a bigger bag, as long as the basic ingredients list is the same.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:yeah: I buy them in the DOG "aisle" and they are probably minimum 50% cheaper for the same product in the bag. I just found these yesterday for a lot less expensive than most similar brands: Simply Nourish Chicken Grain-Free Freeze-Dried Dog Treats, 5-oz bag - Chewy.com. Don't know if they are available in Canada though. Other brands are Purebites, Wholelife, Life Essentials, Stewarts, and I'm sure there are a bunch more.. Just be sure to read the ingredients. I like the ones that only have one ingredient and that is the protein I am buying, ie. chicken, or turkey, etc.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan loves the salmon pure bites. We used them to train her to scratch the post rather than the couch and also give her a couple every time we put her in her carrier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in Canada and was looking at the chicken based foods.
FirstMate
Oven-Baked

I've tried freeze-dried treats and he was not impressed (much to the dogs delight :lol:) though can always try again. I just figured a higher end kibble has to be better than the Temptations treats the other half wants to give them though.

I will have to see what the dog treat options are next time I go into town, I have found cat treats are somewhat limited where I am in comparison. If I have luck with that, will have to go on the hunt for a rabbit only treat I can get so my girl doesn't feel left out.