Thoughts on red wine for cats??

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I was reading an article about a cat who lived to be 38, his owner claims his diet helped get them there and that he gave the cat a dropper full of red wine every 2 days. I'm not doing that by any means unless I get the okay for my vet but I guess I was curious where everyone stands/what they think on the subject?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of benefits in a good red wine for humans, lots of antioxidants, helps against tooth decay, helps keep the arteries clean from saturated fats.
Got me curious now..lol.
Only harmful thing I can see is the alcohol sterilizing the gut and taking away the bacteria that digests food properly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's interesting. I never heard of anyone giving alcohol of any sorts to animals before

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you forget about the alcohol side of red wine what is left is real quite healthy if the wine is a non preservative added and low sulphur wine.
I take the naturoapathic view that food and drink used the right way is medicine so wouldn't really surprise me if the red wine helped the cat. But not going to try it unless have a lot more info first.
I have a naturopath vet near me..should call her up and ask the question..has me intrigued

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grapes are toxic to cats so I’m wondering if the toxins are neutralized in the red wine if he was doing so well on it. I’m not risking it for my cats but this post made me want a glass for myself :)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grapes are toxic to cats so I’m wondering if the toxins are neutralized in the red wine if he was doing so well on it. I’m not risking it for my cats but this post made me want a glass for myself :)
Good question..maybe the brewing takes the toxicity away..who knows.
But can see where this will go..one for the cat..2 for me..one for the cat..3 for me..lol

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
This is def something I'm going to be asking my vet about. I'm so curious now

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I mean Jeanne Calment smoked until she was 117, there’s certainly choices we can make that have an impact on longevity but a lot of it is still a complete mystery/random chance to us at this point, for people and for animals. Don’t give your cat alcohol.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I mean Jeanne Calment smoked until she was 117, there’s certainly choices we can make that have an impact on longevity but a lot of it is still a complete mystery/random chance to us at this point, for people and for animals. Don’t give your cat alcohol.
I wasn't planning on giving any of my animals alcohol, and definitely wouldn't do anything without talking to a vet =) It was a curious subject so I wanted to see what others thought. That's all.