Thoughts on putting chicken broth in cats water

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is warm and acts a little sluggish but not totally inactive.  My other cat has been sick with a respiratory infection and just gotten over it.  The cat in question here has not been doing much drinking.  

My question is this...can I add some low sodium chicken broth to a large bowl of water (probably about 1 part chicken broth to about 20 parts water) to encourage him to drink?  He has had homemade chicken broth a lot but I just do not happen to have any on hand right now.  This is Swanson's brand and is low sodium.

Any advice would be welcome as I do not think that he is sick yet but since he could be running a temperature I want to keep him hydrated.  He does not eat wet food at all.  Will not touch it, just drinks the broth off of it and leaves the rest.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, as long as it is low sodium with no onions or garlic, it should be fine.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you can give him some on a temporary basis as long as the only ingredients are the chicken broth (no onions or other flavorings).  However if your kitty isn't drinking it probably should really see a vet.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I looked a few weeks ago and every brand of chicken broth in the grocery store had onions and garlic listed as ingredients. Not good for cats.

varmint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when our "Mo" was diagnosed with megacolon he didnt drink water.our vet recommended forcing fluids by syringe with a bit of unflavored pedialyte diluted in water, and using low sodium chicken broth diluted in water.these kind folk at the cat site literally taught me how to keep mr.mo man alive and having regular bm's using otc products instead of the expensive, toxic chemicals the vet insisted on.they are a great group of folks.please get your furry little buddy to a vet.not drinking water is a serious problem.hope the lil critter gets well soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was able to find my glasses and read the label...ingredients were chicken broth, carrots, celery and the dreaded onion concentrate.  So I opened a can of canned white meat in WATER.  I put a big lot of bottled water over the water from the chicken and mashed the chicken a bit and he drank and drank and about an hour later went to the water bowl and drank water.  Now both boys are sleeping and he is sleeping better than he has in days.  If he still feels warm tomorrow he will be going to the vet for sure.  I just needed to do something until I could get him there tomorrow.  Thanks for all the comments, I will have to agree that the people here are very helpful and informative.