Thoughts on Orijen food

mpoulinl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone.
I have two beautiful 2 years old domestic cats. We use to live in Canada and feed them both with adult VetDiet cat food. Their coat was so shiny and they were super healthy and happy. Here is the link to VetDiet: Adult cat food: chicken and rice formula | Vetdiet® | Vetdiet®
Now we move to the US and do not have access to this dry food. We decided to buy Orijen six fish because of the high protein in it (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2I28JH/?tag=thecatsite).

The problem is that one of my cats seems to be doing less well since we change food and threw up 3 times. Moreover, after almost 3 weeks I see a major difference in their coat, it is dull now.

When we switch food we mix the old with the new and gave them canned pumpkin puree for their stomachs the first week.
I am concerned that one of my cats is throwing up even after 3 weeks. That their coat is not shiny.

Did anyone ever experience that when switching to Orijen?
Does anyone have a high animal protein dry food suggestion for my cat!

Thank you!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats cannot handle Orijen's high level of protein. It can cause many issues. I and many I know used to feed it before the formula change as it was more accessible than Fromm (and had no cheese like Fromm did which I had to move from).

When the formula changed many people had issues. It began the start of changing my mind around these expensive "healthier" foods.

Arcana is one similar I believe is available in the US. Instinct and Wellness are both available in the US too.

Vet diet seems to have a 30% protein. Many foods are of a similar level. Orijen is a straight jump to 80 - 90%. The 3 I mentioned above will not be as drastic as a jump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mpoulinl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you a lot for that response. I did not realize it could have been that!

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 13 year old diabetic cat that free fed on dry food for his entire life. Since his diagnosis, he gets his main two meals of wet food in the morning and evening, but I also give him 1/4 cup mix of Royal Canin Glycobase and Acana Meadowlands (I believe this is what the other poster meant, not Arcana) for throughout the day when we are not there. Both of these are relatively low in carbs compared to other dry foods. I am now trying to replace the Acana with the Orijen Regional Red, as it is even lower in carbs. But I am doing this slooooowly. With only giving him a 1/4 cup a day, it will take even longer than a normal food switchover. I am thinking at least a month. We are about a week in, and no adverse effects as of yet.