Thoughts on Nulo Freestyle freeze dried raw

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone feed this to their cats? Is it good? With the food shortages, I thought I would try to add some more brands and options to the rotation.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t feed Nulo freestyle FD raw unless you’re completely out of options locally. It’s pretty high in iodine, pretty high in fat, and has coconut oil (not an appropriate source of fat for cats), and spinach (oxalate stone risk).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t feed Nulo freestyle FD raw unless you’re completely out of options locally. It’s pretty high in iodine, pretty high in fat, and has coconut oil (not an appropriate source of fat for cats), and spinach (oxalate stone risk).
What do you suggest then? I am trying to add more variety and options as this food storage feels like it is never ending. Right now the rotation is FD raw: Primal, Feline Natural, and Stella & Chewy. Wet food is Farmina and Tiki Cat after dark not the pate ones. But I keep running into out of stock or long shipping times for Farmina and Tiki Cat. My cat will stop eating a food if he gets it too often. So I have to have many options.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Can you get Northwest Naturals? One of the better commercial raw in my opinion. It comes both frozen and freeze dried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you get Northwest Naturals? One of the better commercial raw in my opinion. It comes both frozen and freeze dried.
The closest store is 73 miles away. I'll keep looking for something else. But thank you for the suggestion. I hate living in the middle of nowhere.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vital Essentials may be an option. Chewy.com sells it and other brands of freeze dried raw.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you suggest then? I am trying to add more variety and options as this food storage feels like it is never ending. Right now the rotation is FD raw: Primal, Feline Natural, and Stella & Chewy. Wet food is Farmina and Tiki Cat after dark not the pate ones. But I keep running into out of stock or long shipping times for Farmina and Tiki Cat. My cat will stop eating a food if he gets it too often. So I have to have many options.
I have a similar problem: our cats won't eat a food more than once a day so we need variety. Lately they even hate just about all the canned foods (Tiki and Chewy's Tiki knock-off foods) we have as backup!

We feed a small amount of Nulo's turkey/duck food, mixed with a small amount of Northwest Naturals. Neither is really ideal for our cats (among other things, Nulo won't tell me how much bone is in their food, though at least the phosphorus is relatively low, whereas Northwest's phosphorus is higher) but they seem to work. I have to be careful about bone content because one cat easily gets constipated and (of course) cranky.

One food our cats really love is Meat Mates lamb, which I bought last year when Chewy had a summer sale. It's sort of squishy rather than fully freeze-dried and though it's expensive, it's well worth the money because I can top or mix it in with other food. It apparently has no bone. We also use lots of freeze-dried chicken treats and occasional freeze-dried duck treats. Anything that gives the illusion of variety.

Good luck! It's hard enough for me to feed our cats with great stores very nearby so I don't envy your situation with the distance.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The closest store is 73 miles away.
How far out are you? I'm assuming they won't ship and I see in other threads that you use Chewy, but can you also utilize Amazon where they would either ship to you or to a dropoff location with a locker that you could drive to and pickup?

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem: our cats won't eat a food more than once a day so we need variety. Lately they even hate just about all the canned foods (Tiki and Chewy's Tiki knock-off foods) we have as backup!
what is tiki knock off foods? I am having trouble finding the Tiki ones I want.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what is tiki knock off foods? I am having trouble finding the Tiki ones I want.
Here's the only one they have in stock right now: AMERICAN JOURNEY Landmark Chicken & Vegetables Recipe in Broth Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com
That one's our cats' favorite for some reason. The vegetable matter is pretty negligent. (I bought chicken & veg the first time because the others were out of stock...) There are two other kinds: one's just plain chicken, the other is chicken and turkey. The cats prefer these to Tiki. I'm not sure why but I can tell you for sure that they love slurping the broth.

Whatever you end up with, good luck!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the only one they have in stock right now: AMERICAN JOURNEY Landmark Chicken & Vegetables Recipe in Broth Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com
That one's our cats' favorite for some reason. The vegetable matter is pretty negligent. (I bought chicken & veg the first time because the others were out of stock...) There are two other kinds: one's just plain chicken, the other is chicken and turkey. The cats prefer these to Tiki. I'm not sure why but I can tell you for sure that they love slurping the broth.

Whatever you end up with, good luck!
Good to know the potatoes aren't an issue and that your kitties like this food, I may give it a try. The phos range given though not precise enough (between 1%-1.67%), I'll see if they can give a more accurate # rather than the vast range listed.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know the potatoes aren't an issue and that your kitties like this food, I may give it a try. The phos range given though not precise enough (between 1%-1.67%), I'll see if they can give a more accurate # rather than the vast range listed.
Yes, that's a ridiculously broad range! I don't see how it could be in the high end, given that it's just chicken and broth, then again...