Thoughts On My Prego Kitty

Kerena87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm new to this site and have a pregnant cat
My neighbors moved out on August and left their outside cat behind so I adopted her. Like I said she is a outside cat will come in for a bit but would prefer to be outside well she is pregnant and I have no clue how far along she is. Her bully is full I can see and feel the kittens I first noticed it on Monday . Her appetite has changed she wants nothing to do with wet food which is usually all she eats but prefers the dry food. I bring her in at night but once the sun it out she is waking me up to go outside. I don't want her having them outside but don't want to make her stay inside if it not close to her having them. Anyone have any idea on a estimate of how far along she is?

maggielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea how far along your sweet cat is, but I do know it is dangerous to let her go outside. First of all there are predators such as dogs, evil people, cars, etc. that could kill her. She may not be as fast to get away in her pregnant condition. Secondly, if she gets picked up and turned over to a shelter, they will probably spay her if her owner doesn't show up really soon, meaning they may also terminate the kittens she is bearing. If you want her to be safe, please, for her own sake, keep her inside with you where she will be loved and cared for. Considering the millions of cats and dogs that are euthanized each year in the United States because there are simply not enough homes for all of them, it would be better to have her spayed either now or after she has the kittens. It is nice of you to consider what the cat wants, but you are the adult here and know what is best for her: being inside, most especially until the kittens are born if you want to keep them. Good luck!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finding where a mom hides her kittens can be pretty challenging. If the kittens go for a few weeks without or even several months without contact with people they will be a little wild and hard to catch. Even though the cat wants out it is best to keep her inside until she has the kittens. It sounds like it will be pretty soon so I would just have her stay in for now. She won't be happy but she will adjust to it. After she has the kittens you can let her out to go be on her own for a little. She should be back at the door wanting in to care for them. The first big problem you will likely have is that she will want to move the kittens outside. She will pick one up and stand by the door trying to make a break for it. That is when you need to be really diligent to keep them all together. You might feel like a doorman for a time with all the in and out but once the kittens are tame and used to people they will be a lot easier to deal with than if they grow up wild.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom needs to be inside now and until she is spayed. Female cats can get pregnant again within a week of delivery.

Thank you for caring for her! Mom is lucky to have you, and will understand that this is for the best after she adjusts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kerena87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes once she has the kittens and it's safe I plan on getting her fixed. But since she been outside for so long she doesn't/won't use the litter box any ideas on how to go about this so she's not using the bathroom all over the house

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kerena87 Kerena87

Hi and welcome to TCS! :wave3:

Can you post a picture of your cat?

It's usually 2-3 weeks after you see and feel kitten movement that they are born.

I just don't understand why people move and leave their pets behind! It is very kind of you to adopt her!

If you give us your city and state, I will locate a low-cost spay clinic for you to use to get mom spayed after the kittens are weaned. One litter is enough.

Here are some helpful links to read:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Your best bet to get her using a litter box is to put her in it when she asks to go outside instead of letting her out. She will use it eventually!

We are here for all your questions. Please keep us posted!

Kerena87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I'll take one and posted it and I'm taking her to Young Williams to get her fixed I have 3 inside cats all females that got fixed by them

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's awesome that you already have a place to get her spayed.

I'll look forward to the picture! :)

Kerena87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's her I'll get a better picture of her belly when she lays down but it's pretty big considering she is a small cat

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can add some dirt and leaves to a litter box so she recognizes it as a place to go!

Humankittylover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is very pretty, and very big. I'd say you can expect them in maybe a week, give or take. Keep her inside, do not let her out. Keep her in a room away from the other cats and other people. She needs constant good and water. Since she is near having her babies, she'll most likely use the litter box, so predators can't smell her poop and pee and can't find her babies. About three or so dad before she has her babies, she'll search for a nest. Usually 24 hours before, she'll have milk. Have a small, tightish box that is completely dark inside for her best, hopefully she'll use it.

I rescued a cat last month that was pregnant, she was very small, I was expecting 2 maybe 2 kittens, she had 5! So expect a big litter lol. My rescue mom also looks a lot like your kitty! Good luck and I hope to see her babies.

Kerena87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made her a nest box out of a big plastic storage container and she has her own litter box but hasn't used it yet. I have keep her in all day today she has only tried to go out once or twice she sleeps most of the day will get up to get food and water then lays back down

Kerena87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SHE USED THE LITTER BOX!!!! She went to the door to go out so I put her in the litter box and she used it and I gave her treats after she got done to praise her

Kerena87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No not yet but I did notice milk last night