Thoughts On Kitten Eye Infection

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I got my Ollie third week of January, he was quite sick at approx 9-10 weeks with a respiratory virus. He was put on antibiotics and given eye ointment the following week by my vet (he was a rescue) for a left eye infection. I have used the ointment, but it seemed over time the infection went from left to right and in both concurrently. I continued to use the ointment, but his eyes would have a light yellow discharge (sometimes light green). I was planning to take him to the vet this week to have it checked, but it seems to have changed from runny to crusty discharge. Does this sound like it's improved. We have a well kitten visit next Friday and I'm thinking we can wait til then? His eyes are not swollen and I think they are overall improved. I know some of these infections can be viral and the vet did say it may just need to run its course. Your thoughts?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of ointment did the vet give you?
If the vet thinks it is a bacterial infection, it will be an antibiotic. But if the infection is virus-based, then an antiviral is needed.
Keep in mind that some eye issues, especially when a virus is involved, might never fully recover.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... I continued to use the ointment, but his eyes would have a light yellow discharge (sometimes light green). I was planning to take him to the vet this week to have it checked, but it seems to have changed from runny to crusty discharge. Does this sound like it's improved. We have a well kitten visit next Friday and I'm thinking we can wait til then? ...
If it were my kitten, what would concern me is the color of the eye discharge and the fact that the antibiotics and eye ointment don't seem to be leading to a marked improvement. I personally would schedule to go in to the vet much sooner than a week from tomorrow, so that I could have the vet see if the right antibiotics are being given, including the eye ointment.
:vibes: :vibes: :alright: