Thoughts On Growing Some Cat Grass For Indoor Cats?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any thoughts on this? I see a few people doing this, and I'm constantly trying to make the inside environment more interesting for my cats.

Any thoughts on this?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep wanting to grow some wheat grass. I looked at the bulk foods section for whole unhulled wheat, but can't find any. Haven't had much luck at garden centers either, so I'll probably have to mail order. Those little kits of "cat grass" in pet stores are terribly expensive. I'm thinking of growing a baking pan full, and I expect it won't live long and would need to be replanted frequently.

Interested in other peoples' thoughts on this as well. Particularly anyone who grows grass indoors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep wanting to grow some wheat grass. I looked at the bulk foods section for whole unhulled wheat, but can't find any. Haven't had much luck at garden centers either, so I'll probably have to mail order. Those little kits of "cat grass" in pet stores are terribly expensive. I'm thinking of growing a baking pan full, and I expect it won't live long and would need to be replanted frequently.

Interested in other peoples' thoughts on this as well. Particularly anyone who grows grass indoors.
Yeah if I do this, I'm going to have to grow a large amount, and the ones meant for cats are really small.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've grown cat grass and catnip before :agree: Use a heavy pot that a cat can't tip over. Use seed starting potting soil that doesn't have fertilizer added to it or make your own basic one (lots of instructions online). Only use plain water to, well, water the seeds / plants. Don't over water. If the pot has a drip tray, empty that if you see water in it. Place the pot in a sunny location. If you have a balcony or outdoor space, you can put the pot there to get fresh air and sun and rain.

Cat nip plants have deep roots so you will want to use a fairly deep and wide pot. To encourage the plant to grow bigger, pick off the lower leaves every so often and give to the cat fresh or dry for later use.

You can buy cat grass and cat nip seed online. I know Burpee has little packets of the seeds but you can buy seeds in bulk from other places. Cat grass is usually a combination of wheat, barely, oat, and rye grasses.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catnip grows like a week here. I plant sometimes in my backyard. Often all the feral cats around here destroy the plants before they can mature. :p

I am hoping to buy organic wheat grass seeds (for humans) to grow for grass. I know I can find that at amazon, but was trying to buy local. Haven't checked Whole Foods.

Maybe I'll look into the seeds marketed for cats though. Seems like when they put "Cat" on the label, the price is higher. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't checked Whole Foods.
They should have bulk grains. I've gotten "cat grass seeds" there before. I've used whole oats and wheat, haven't tried barley or rye though.

The grass grows quickly and dies quickly (in shallow indoor soil. Outside it would grow deep and develop into a wheat or oat plant). So if you want a steady supply you need to start a new batch every week-2 weeks, depending how much your cats shred their grass. You'll need to have an area the cats can't get to. Find some dirt with no added fertilizers. Put a thick layer of seeds on top of the dirt (don't worry about overcrowding). Mist the seeds well then put a thin layer of dirt on top, then cover the container with Saran Wrap. When the seeds sprout, take the Saran Wrap off, but make sure the sprouts stay moist. 3 or 4 days after sprouting the grass should be ready for cats.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried one of those cat grass growers and it grew the most beautiful green grass. Of course, Ailish looked at it with that, What am I supposed to do with this? look they give when you get them something. She would rather jump up on the dresser and munch rose thorns or chew on old dried up plants.

I SWEAR they know when you buy something for them and purposely give it the cold shoulder. They always want things that aren't for them.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried one of those cat grass growers and it grew the most beautiful green grass. Of course, Ailish looked at it with that, What am I supposed to do with this? look they give when you get them something. She would rather jump up on the dresser and munch rose thorns or chew on old dried up plants.

I SWEAR they know when you buy something for them and purposely give it the cold shoulder. They always want things that aren't for them.
Haha! Isn't that the truth? That's why I wanted organic seeds for "humans", not a "cat grass mix". I can cook and eat the organic wheat berries if the cats don't appreciate the grass. Of course, then they would probably then be wanting in my bowl of wheat cereal. :p

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've grown it in a "small" litter box. It's like a 9x12x4 inch pan that was $4 and in coconut coir instead of potting soil in the front yard on a milk crate to keep ants out. Third time I did it those squirrels went nuts on it that the human put out sprouts for them before it got a half inch tall.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would plant cat mint outside. My cats are often sen rolling and chewing it, it grows like a weed. They even do it in the winter when it has dried. Of course that is just if your cat can go outside, if not make sure whatever you plant it in is in an area that is easy to clean up. I came home one day and yes my cats absolutely LOVED the oat grass I had planted for them. To the point they drug it out of the soil, roots and all, and had it spread all over my house. Dirt everywhere! But they had fun!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've grown it in a "small" litter box. It's like a 9x12x4 inch pan that was $4 and in coconut coir instead of potting soil in the front yard on a milk crate to keep ants out. Third time I did it those squirrels went nuts on it that the human put out sprouts for them before it got a half inch tall.

Good idea:) A few drainage holes poked or drilled into the bottom and raising the box off the ground a bit would help excess water drain through and not drown the roots. Or place an inch layer of gravel / pebbles in the box before adding potting soil for drainage. Any plastic container you might have lying around would work well as a "pot" to grow cat grass in. I've used (cleaned) take out soup containers before but they're easily toppled over by a cat or even by the wind if placed near an open window. Cat nip grows best if the roots have plenty of room to grown and expand, IMO. So a large deep pot or directly in the ground outdoors would be best.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat loves wheat grass! She doesn't always eat it, sometimes she just sticks her face in it and enjoys the feeling. My dog loves it too. It's ridiculously easy to grow. I just fill a small container with soil, leaving an inch of space. Then I generously sprinkle the seeds on top, cover with a thin layer of soil, water it, cover it loosely with foil, and forget about it for a few days until the sprouts have lifted the foil up a couple inches. I like to give it a healthy head start for 2 or 3 days after that before handing it over to my cat. After about 2 weeks I dump it and start a new one.

My cat has zero interest in catnip so I have little experience growing that.

entlaufene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put a little piece of large hole screening over the seeds. Something like hardware cloth. That way the sprouts can poke through, but when she pulls the grass up, less of the dirt/roots come up. Then she's "mowing" the grass instead of uprooting it.

You actually don't need soil if you're just keeping it around a short time. A wet paper towel, sand, or that lava rock non clumping cat litter would work just as well. The grass will use up the nutrients from the seed, just needs to be kept moist. This could work for a few weeks or up to a month.

My vet tried to scare me away from giving her grass, though. I said "But she loves it!" and she said "Maybe my opinion is affected because the only time I deal with it it's tangled up blocking a cat's intestines." So I guess grass can cause the same problems as swallowing string. Probably mostly a problem with more mature grass. Since then I only let her get the grass when it's tender freshly sprouted, or I cut inch long pieces for her and hold them up for her to gnaw on.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I'm WAY late here but since I dragged out the bag today, I wanted to mention that the Sprout People have a cat grass that's comprised of wheat, oats, rye, barley and flax.
It is a special non-puking formula, also good for rabbits, dogs, guinea pigs, iguanas, turtles and many more of our other-than-human friends, and all the seeds in Kat Grass come from sources which are certified organic.

entlaufene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm WAY late here but since I dragged out the bag today, I wanted to mention that the Sprout People have a cat grass that's comprised of wheat, oats, rye, barley and flax.
It is a special non-puking formula, also good for rabbits, dogs, guinea pigs, iguanas, turtles and many more of our other-than-human friends, and all the seeds in Kat Grass come from sources which are certified organic.
Do they guarantee their "non-puking formula"? :evilgrin: