Thoughts on changing new adoptee's names?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As I've been looking at cats for adoption, I've seen some that I am interested in, but I'm not crazy about the name (example - a cat with the same name as one of my relatives). When I adopted Delilah, I had already loved the name and felt no need to change it.

I know on a stray they may have only had the name for a few weeks, but sometimes a cat is a surrender and has had the name its whole life.

Is it a good idea to change a cat's name when you adopt it?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've had some of my cats for over 14 years and I'm pretty sure they don't recognize their own names. I don't think it's like dogs who do respond to their names. I'd go ahead and change the name to whatever you want and if the cat doesn't respond well you can use whatever nickname seems to fit.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't like the name the shelter had for Ruby, and since she was picked up off the street and brought to the shelter, I'm sure it wasn't her actual name. Even if it was, it wasn't a name I wanted for a pet, so I renamed her Ruby, and she learned her new name really quickly.

I understand your concern, though, about changing a cat's name, if the shelter name is the name the cat has had all of its life. I guess maybe ask the shelter if it's a name they assigned, or the name the cat came in with. If it's the name the cat has had all its life and you don't like it, you could always change it to something similar sounding.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Delilah they said she was a surrender. Delilah was one of those names that I love (in Second Life, I had a cat avatar that I named Daylilah because Delilah was in use)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My crew knows their individual names and respond. Well, two of the three for sure. I am pretty sure Fury thinks is name is "Rocket Link" because he responds to any name. But Rocket and Link look up specifically to their names.

I'd see how the cat responds to the name and go from there.

If the cat responds and you don't like it, find something phonetically similar. Similar start and end sounds or just one way or the other. Cats tend to respond more to sounds rather then the actual word so as long as it is close enough they should still respond.

If the cat doesn't respond, change away

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I changed Geoffrey’s name from Goofy. I just could not call a sweet kitty, Goofy.

I did honor his prior owner—- who requested keeping his name. I kept the G and y. A distinguished name for a “fraidy”, insecure cat —- but a sweetheart.
Actually, he is calling me right now—- to cuddle.

It did not take long for him to respond to his new name.
He had it for 3 years.

With Artie, he had that name for 8 years. I did not want to confuse him, so I kept it. It ended up suiting him. A strong, confident, loving, soul-kitty.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't think my cats know their names, but maybe Meep thinks her name is "Meanie." I suppose you can change a cat's name without any problems. They eventually respond somewhat to whatever you consistently call them.