Thoughts on CBD?

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #22

katmaz77

TCS Member
Thread starter
Young Cat
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
23
Reaction score
28
The home euthanasia appointment is booked for tomorrow morning. I still don't know if i am making the right decision. I had really wanted to try a round of amoxicillin to rule out brain inflammation but my vet is totally useless :( He isn't strong enough to be carted around to new vets right now either. I am totally beside myself. He is having a better day today.. he looks so cute and precious. Am I making the right call to put him down?
 

dan7800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Joined
Jul 25, 2020
Messages
30
Reaction score
55
The home euthanasia appointment is booked for tomorrow morning. I still don't know if i am making the right decision. I had really wanted to try a round of amoxicillin to rule out brain inflammation but my vet is totally useless :( He isn't strong enough to be carted around to new vets right now either. I am totally beside myself. He is having a better day today.. he looks so cute and precious. Am I making the right call to put him down?
I think that it is pretty rare to not second guess yourself when deciding on euthanasia. Your cat must be in a tough place for you to even consider it. I was once told that with euthanasia, you're saying that you'd rather take on the pain of the animal being gone, rather than the animal continuing to take on the pain in this world.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #24

katmaz77

TCS Member
Thread starter
Young Cat
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
23
Reaction score
28
I think that it is pretty rare to not second guess yourself when deciding on euthanasia. Your cat must be in a tough place for you to even consider it. I was once told that with euthanasia, you're saying that you'd rather take on the pain of the animal being gone, rather than the animal continuing to take on the pain in this world.
Thank you so much for the wise words dan. This "last day" together doesn't even feel real. I have had him since i was 13 and am almost 29 now. My best friend :(
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #25

katmaz77

TCS Member
Thread starter
Young Cat
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
23
Reaction score
28
I am so conflicted. Today is a better day.. he is perking up and eating foods again. His legs are even working better. I know this issue is his brain but i can't live with myself not knowing if it is just a treatable infection or failure due to old age. My vet doesn't think its worth exploring and is treating me like a burden :( Called last friday and still no response on trying him on one last round of amoxicillin. I am so worked up i am considering cancelling the euthanasia tomorrow. I really wish my vet cared more :(
 

Furballsmom

Cat Fan especially Black Cats
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Joined
Jan 9, 2018
Messages
27,149
Reaction score
36,743
Location
Colorado USA
There's a phrase "better a few days too soon, than a day too late". You are doing the most difficult thing that requires an incredible amount of strength :purr:
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #27

katmaz77

TCS Member
Thread starter
Young Cat
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
23
Reaction score
28
My regular vet FINALLY called me back... they have prescribed me a low dose amoxicillin to see if brain inflammation has any role in the decline. This is what i have been asking for for a few weeks now. I know he has been suffering from mild cognitive dysfunction for a while but I am just so shocked at how fast this all came on! Now my options are to give the Amoxocillin a few days chance and rule out infection/inflammation and if that fails reschedule the home visit for next week... Or accept where we are now and go through with euthanasia tomorrow morning :(
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #28

katmaz77

TCS Member
Thread starter
Young Cat
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Messages
23
Reaction score
28
Just an update for everyone... I got my call back from my regular vet late last night (finally, wow!) I asked them again to address the possibility for brain inflammation, and told them that otherwise I felt I had run out of options and that I had booked an appointment for euthanasia. After having a second doctor review his file (my doc is on vacation) he wrote me a prescription for the amoxicillin. I have cancelled the euthanasia that was meant to happen this morning. I have come to terms with letting go, but I know it would eat away at me if I didn't investigate this suspicion I am having. Yesterday he was chowing down on the homemade eggs and chicken I prepared for him and was moving around a lot more which is what made me question the euthanasia initially plus getting the call from the vet. He got a dose of amoxicillin last night and one this morning. So far today he is showing interest in kibble again. I've been sleeping beside him on a memory foam mattress on the floor for the last couple nights, and this morning he came and laid on my chest for a cuddle!! My order of supplements (weight gain+vitamins and omega3) arrived a few days earlier than expected, late last night... (maybe a sign to keep going!?) And he is taking them well. I have been slowly reducing his steroid dose plus dropped it to every other day since he's not even eating enough to handle it anyways. The CBD order is unfortunately delayed and is due to come Tuesday. I am going to give Shnuggles a few days to see if there is any improvement from the amoxicillin. It is usually a pretty fast acting drug. If he continues to remain in the state he was in the last few days, or declines any further, then I will reschedule my appointment and give my boy the peaceful send off he deserves :redheartpump:
 

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Sep 7, 2018
Messages
6,310
Reaction score
10,676
I’m glad you’re reducing the steroids. I fear that long-term daily use of them made Krista weak. I hope it, the amoxicillin, and everything else helps.
 
Top