Thoughts On Cannabis Oil For Lymphoma Dog.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Test results come in Monday and the dog is around 12 years. He has a low appetite and is being well monitored by the vet. Just wondered if anyone used Cannabis oil to help a dog with lymphoma. Results? Thoughts?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Test results come in Monday and the dog is around 12 years. He has a low appetite and is being well monitored by the vet. Just wondered if anyone used Cannabis oil to help a dog with lymphoma. Results? Thoughts?
I am trying it out for cat arthritis right now. I'd say it can't hurt to try it especially since you are in California and can get the full spectrum easier. VetCBD is a California brand made with olive oil for pets specifically that you can get at a dispensary.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it helps him be more comfortable i dont see why not. People even use it for their sick children these days.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read some about it. As long as you calculate the right does to avoid THC toxicity, it will likely be helpful. If I remember correctly, THC toxicity in pets can make it so that they do not eat. Obviously, that is something you want to avoid in this situation.

What does your vet say about it? If they are not supportive of the idea, are you able to seek out a second opinion from one that has used it for pets?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have read some about it. As long as you calculate the right does to avoid THC toxicity, it will likely be helpful. If I remember correctly, THC toxicity in pets can make it so that they do not eat. Obviously, that is something you want to avoid in this situation.

What does your vet say about it? If they are not supportive of the idea, are you able to seek out a second opinion from one that has used it for pets?

California law is actually written in such a way that vets can loose their license by talking about CBD oil. Which is just wrong but until it changes I wouldn't push too much.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is terrible. Ohio laws about it have changed a few times recently. It and other products were okay under the 2014 Farm Bill, but that has since changed. I do not know why I thought CA was more lenient about it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying it with my Krista for IBD and pancreatitis. It's not perfect. She still has scrunch face moments but she doesn't crouch anymore. Buprenorphine, however, made her too stoned to eat when we used that for her teeth. She needs to keep eating for panc. So she gets VetCBD with every meal and mirtazapine every other day. And weekly B12 shots.

CBD by itself has a wide range for safety. However, it is metabolized in the liver by the same enzymes that metabolize buprenorphine (and others.) Which means taken together, it can lead to greater sedation and a longer clearance time for both. If you have other prescriptions, definitely consult with your vet.

Having said all of that, if your vet can't talk or you want to try anyway, take it low and slow. Half the recommended dose and 12 hours between. Proceed very slowly from there until you see if and how it interacts with any other medication and how your dog responds to it. For lymphoma, you'll likely need to work up to a larger dose than recommended. Do that slowly. Watch for over-sedation. Depending on the size your dog, you may also want to look for a more concentrated oil than VetCBD. Not a lower ratio but more CBD per mL unless you want to be pouring several mLs of oil into food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There are pet formulations of CBD that are 20:1 ratio or higher (20 times more CBD than THC.) It would take a very high dose to reach THC toxicity. The animal would likely barf from the sheer amount of oil it would have to consume rather than the cannabinoids present in that oil.

THC toxicity is more of a concern if you're using a product for people that has a lower ratio (more THC) and a greater concentration. Or if the dog gets into people edibles.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll see a dog this week that has not lymphoma, but other health problems that are age related and CBD oil is the ONLY thing that has helped keep him happy. Xanax and stuff did nothing.
Look into it. Not all CBD is created equally.
But if I had a pet in that situation, you bet your butt I'd be looking into it. ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dispensary CBD will likely have gone through more rigorous testing requirements and quality control. Probably better cultivation practices too. Pet store CBD is often from industrial hemp. Not the same rules around its testing and quality. Pet store CBD also has terms like full spectrum oil or hemp extract that don't actually refer to the amount of CBD. Watch out for that. Look for mg of CBD per mL and figure, dog willing, you may eventually end up going higher than the dose on the bottle. So how much oil do you want to be adding to food? Probably not more than 1 mL per ounce of food if you don't want the runs. If you have a big dog, look for a product that's been concentrated for a big dog.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are pet formulations of CBD that are 20:1 ratio or higher (20 times more CBD than THC.) It would take a very high dose to reach THC toxicity. The animal would likely barf from the sheer amount of oil it would have to consume rather than the cannabinoids present in that oil.

THC toxicity is more of a concern if you're using a product for people that has a lower ratio (more THC) and a greater concentration. Or if the dog gets into people edibles.

Thanks for clarifying that! It is just that the things I have read have mentioned that it is a possibility. Rare, but a possibility. I had recently looked into it for our cat Tara who has pancreatitis and goes through some bad spells.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The VetCBD is 20:1, I did the math and Link would have to take multiple bottles at once for THC posioning.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The VetCBD is 20:1, I did the math and Link would have to take multiple bottles at once for THC posioning.
I'm far more concerned about the carrier oil than the cannabinoids. The few times I tried a more concentrated oil to use less oil, the carrier was coconut oil and it gave Krista the runs. VetCBD uses olive oil and that seems to agree much more with her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for clarifying that! It is just that the things I have read have mentioned that it is a possibility. Rare, but a possibility. I had recently looked into it for our cat Tara who has pancreatitis and goes through some bad spells.
Krista and I are still new to pancreatitis. CBD isn't really strong enough for the acute pain of panc. She spent the first week of treatment scrunch-faced and crouching. :'( But bupe makes her too stoned to eat so that's counterproductive. On top of that, they both use the same liver enzyme pathway to metabolize so taken together, they would create deeper sedation and take longer to clear. If Tara is getting other prescriptions, then definitely consult a vet before adding CBD. CBD is supposed to help with inflammation, and it does work as an antiemetic. We tried Cerenia and she didn't react well. It actually made her nauseated and she ate less that day.

As long as you use pet formulations, you don't have to worry about THC toxicity. If anything, you'll likely find the recommended dose too low out of an abundance of caution. But you'll still want to start low (half dose) and go slow (12 hours between doses) until you see how Tara reacts and whether it's going to interact with other prescriptions.