Thoughts on barn cats

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have been attempting to catch some stray cats on my street and get them up to the shelter. The cats live outside and have limited interaction with humans (pretty much me putting food out for them). One of the kittens I caught (probably about 5 months old now) was pretty freaked out when I got her up to the shelter so she ended up in a feral cage. They are going to adopt her out as a barn cat. I don't know that taking her back and releasing her is much better because there are quite a few cats competing for food and they wouldn't recognize her as part of the group anymore because she has been gone about a month. In theory, any barn cat adopters are supposed to promise that they feed the cats and have water out but I still worry. I realize some people have barns that are better than some houses but that isn't always the case. What are your thoughts on cats going as barn cats?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the cat isn't socialized to humans a barn cat life can be much better then a random stray or feral on the street (or in the woods). Barn cats or working cats in other areas typically get the best of living their life relatively independently but with regular food, water and medical care if they become sick. When talking about an unsocialized older kitten or cat it can often be the best place for them because socialization is a hard process the older then get. Without having someone who is willing to socialize and an adopter lined up who understands the needs of late socialized cats; the barn cat solution is kind of perfect for the cat while getting a person who wants a barn cat a cat who already isn't wanted by most of society. At least in my opinion.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Housecats should never ever ever go as barn cats, even if they have behavioral issues. It never works out and it's inhumane. Some shelters will put difficult housecats into their barn cat program and it drives me crazy. They don't last long out there.

For ferals, there really isn't much difference between being a barn cat and being a feral cat. Everything depends on the commitment level of the colony manager---it can be great, or terrible. Of course I'd hope that a shelter/rescue would screen out the terrible ones and not allow them to adopt cats from them. In general I think ferals should be returned to familiar territory whenever possible, but of course that's not always possible. So being a barn cat is kind of the only option. Hopefully the shelter requires the adopter to confine the cat for a while, because if they aren't confined most will leave right away to find their old territory.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I go to the vet, I'm usually the only one in the waiting room with cats. Many cats around here are either barn cats or just allowed to wander, and they're not really taken care of :frown:

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A lot of people really love their barn cats. Coming from a rural area I have met a decent amount of people with them, who really care for their kitties. Now these may be people with more of a farmers outlook on animals they are not going to spoil them but would always make sure they are warm and well fed. Alot of people would bring a barn cat to the vet if it was sick and get them rabies shots. Maybe some might not but I think it is still better than being a random stray/feral and 100% better than just getting euthanized for not being adoptable.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it really depends on the barn cat program and what the rules and policies are. I know one around here requires you provide them with a heated barn or other out building (shop, shed, etc) not just a cat/dog house, as well as food, water, and vet care. I think a home check is also done to make sure the people actually have acceptable housing for the cat(s). They treat it very similar to any other adoption, just that the cat will not be inside the house.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good advice from all above - and good for you for wanting the kitties to be well taken care of.

Since it sounds like there are more cats and kittens where this one came from - is anyone caring for the strays/ferals on a continual ongoing basis as far as spaying/neutering, shelter, food, and water? Have you asked around to see if anyone you know - or someone in the area - has the time/ability to work on socializing this little one - or any others? Socializing a 5 month old kitten can certainly take time and patience, but it's definitely not out of the question. We've socialized multiple feral cats and kittens - and we've had some of the very young kittens that remained skittish despite lots of work, and adult cats who turned out to be a relative breeze (note I say "relative" :)). But if you can't find someone to work with the little one (which is understandable), and the group doesn't have someone caring for them as far as all of the things they need (including spay/neuter), then I think - for me - it would sway me toward letting the shelter place him in a barn cat program. Lots of shelters have very good barn cat programs - - some even have someone from the shelter actually go out to the site and make sure all's ok.

And I wouldn't hesitate to talk to the shelter and ask if you can come in and talk to whomever at the shelter runs their barn cat program (even if you talked already to someone there). Explain how worried you are and how much you care for him and that you would feel better if you could talk a bit with that person. I'd double check that the barns they're placed in do feed them (and not let their barn cats only get to eat what they catch) and watch for any health issues. It's also important that the kitten is kept contained for at least a few weeks - otherwise the kitten may try to find his way home (which likely can't happen, but they'll try anyway). I placed a link below to a good handbook on barn cats and what shelters should make sure of before signing someone on - just looking through it might help you with any other questions. But I really wouldn't hesitate to ask to talk to their "barn cat person" - -most people at most shelters are happy to hear from someone who cares! Especially since they usually spend large portions of time talking to people who don't care, so someone caring and concerned like you will likely be a breath of fresh air! (I've worked at a shelter - I would have LOVED to have someone care as much as you do!). You'll likely feel better if you can sit with someone and ask every question you have - -knowledge always helps me feel better (I still worry - but less :)).

You're doing a good thing - so keep us posted!

Barn Cat Guide example

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mom works in the barn and has three, happy and healthy (fixed) barn cats. One is twenty-one years old. None of them want to live inside, I tried when I moved out and they freaked out. They get seen by the horse vet when they come to do the horses unless something seems wrong then they'll take them in. They get fresh feed and water daily along with wet food. I was raised with barn/garage cats and we only lost cats to old age or one that was in rough shape when they arrived. There is an office area away from the horses that has a cat door so they can come and go from the room as they please. They stay on the 10 acre property because my mom is home and works in the backyard. Tina is a very good mouser. Kittens were raised in a contained area and learned the area slowly.

It does depend on the people who own or manage the barn. Some barns, mostly public ones, are terrible environments for cats (and horses if I'm honest) where people dump their cats (how I got most of my cats) and it quickly gets overpopulated with no one watching over the cats. I won't lie and say it's always a good environment but, I have seen many happy barn cats in private barns. I've also seen bad in house environments for cats as well.

If it's a cat that has happily lived in a house, it could be considered rough to throw them outside into an unfamiliar environment. Depending on the cat and their ability to adapt and how people go about it. I read something, I'm uncertain of its validity but, it said that inside cats have better near vision and outside cats have better far vision which would make it harder for any cat to transition from one lifestyle to another. Yes, they're invasive and can wreck havoc on a local natural environment but, most of the farms I've lived on and around have been plowed, cleared and permanently altered the natural environment.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do people always need barn cats? Because something has happened to the ones they had. Coyotes, trucks, and roaming dogs are a real threat, disease such as distemper will wipe out a whole colony if not vaccinated and the cats become overpopulated. If they are neutered and vaccinated, that gives them a real chance at living a fairly comfortable life. For some cats it is the ONLY chance at a life. Nature is cruel, nature is unforgiving. But if the cats ar truly taken care of, neutered, vaccinated and provided with food and water, it can be the only chance they have. House cats abandoned at a farm have almost no chance. For ferals it provides a chance, and I am for that. A few years at a good home is infinitely better then being euthanized or sitting in a shelter........

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would check surrounding wildlife (for coyotes and foxes) and neighbors (for cat haters).

In my opinion, barn cats are the happiest cats ever, because they can hunt and roam, as Mother Nature wants them to. :-).

But of course, freedom has a price tag. :-).
I live in the country and here, feral cats do not last very long due to being preyed upon by wildlife. Coyotes, fox, fisher cat among other things. I would NEVER let my cat out around here. I imagine a barn environment would be MUCH safer for the cats than in the woods. Over the years, I have seen many feral cats pass thru my yard but I never see them making their rounds thru my yard for more than 2 years before they are gone. I even had one male that I would feed one fall and into winter before he was gone. I named him Max and somewhere I have a photo of him...He got comfy enuff with me that I was able to pet him and he would nip at me lightly. I couldn't bring him inside due to Oliver and my ex wouldn't allow either....she scared him away one cold night and I never saw him again. Rough life in the wild in the NE USA.

Last edited:

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a colony caretaker for the remaining three cats at a farm/barn colony. Like you've read, there's no one rule for what life is like as a barn cat. Some are well looked-after; some are not. Mine have insulated shelters for bad weather and an electrically-heated water bowl. That said, quite a few got hit by cars over the years or simply vanished. I've worked hard to get the adoptable ones adopted into homes, but the ones that are left would be very difficult to turn into house cats. One I still can't touch at all even after feeding her for many years. The last male reacted very badly when I brought him inside for neuter surgery. I had previously been able to handle him, but he shut down after being taken indoors. Even after a couple of years, his trust has not returned. The vast majority of pet owners would not be interested in putting the effort into trying to socialize a semi-socialized cat. I say "semi-socialized" because they are not feral. They hang out around people, but only on their terms.

They have to be smart to survive as barn cats, avoiding predators and other dangers. The matriarch of my colony lived to be 18 years old, based on the information I was given about when she was first seen there. She died of kidney failure. The three remaining at my colony are in the 8-10 year old range.

But even though it's not as safe as living inside, mine always have food, shelter, and clean water, which is better than the lives of many people on the planet. I feel like I've done the best I can for them.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
D david68 That was well-said. I don't disagree with almost anything said in this thread ( di and bob di and bob that was nicely said too), because the life of a "barn cat" can run a very, very wide gamut. From ones cared for lovingly like yours, to the rough life of ones who are "there to mouse" and given no consistent food, vet care or easily accessible warm, dry shelter.

A very good friend of ours has "barn cats" and she has heated shelters in her insulated barn for them (and a warm laundry room that they can come into when it gets cold - if they want to), heated water bowls, all the food they want, and she's far from any roads. She'd far rather have all inside (and she currently does have quite a few inside), and she works with them as much as possible to socialize them. But she's single and has a job with long hours. So socialization isn't always possible. And she has them not because she needs anyone to mouse (although she's terrified of mice, so she probably wouldn't complain if they DO mouse :) ---she just doesn't tell me because I like mice). She has them because they've been dumped on her land (sometimes in a box - - people can be so lovely), or wandered onto her land, or dumped at the shelter we both volunteer for. She takes the ones that are too anti-social to be placed in a home (unless we have a foster that can try to socialize). She gives them a chance at a life that at least has food, shelter, and kindness.

I think that D dahlia is trying to do the best thing she can. She's understandably nervous about the kitty going into a barn program, and worried she's done the wrong thing. But I'm glad she came here, looking for guidance, information, and a shoulder (she's certainly gotten no shortage of advice! :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with most of the posts here. As to the "invasive" comment, get the FACTS on ADAPTIVE, not "invasive" cats: alleycat.org/TruthAboutCats -- and it's HUMANS, not cats, that are responsible for the overwhelming majority of "wildlife" and bird extinction/deaths, through overpopulation, overdevelopment, destruction of habitat and infrastructure (air, land, water, plants), installations of large glasslines and photovoltaic farms, etc. So do you want to "cull" a bunch of humans to save the "wildlife" and precious birds? Probably not. I'm just guessing here. *Heavy sarcasm intended*

bestfriends.org has an excellent barn cat program and they are some of the most well-informed people on the subject. Suggest anyone interested visit their site.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents have three barn cats now - they had two and were recently granted one more that was dumped at their farm. They're well cared for and do pretty well - none of the three would do well in a home I don't think, but they all appreciate the warm barn at the end of the day!

My (now) indoor-only cat was a barn cat at their farm for the first 10 years of his life. He was a bit of an anomaly, as he settled into the house cat life very quickly and now scoffs at the idea of the outdoors.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents have three barn cats now - they had two and were recently granted one more that was dumped at their farm. They're well cared for and do pretty well - none of the three would do well in a home I don't think, but they all appreciate the warm barn at the end of the day!

My (now) indoor-only cat was a barn cat at their farm for the first 10 years of his life. He was a bit of an anomaly, as he settled into the house cat life very quickly and now scoffs at the idea of the outdoors.
Not saying this is a one-size-fits-all, but I do feel that earning the trust of any living being goes a long way toward making him or her feel comfortable enough to be nearby/with you. My Baby Su was born feral. She was wandering around on our land as a tiny kitten. I brought her into our 12x12 "kitten cabin" where she could have everything she needed but not have to stress out. As time went on, my frequent visits seemed to give her confidence. I tried introducing various cats in our secured barn compound to her, and one of them seemed to be a good fit. At the time, one of our "house" cats was very ill, so I didn't want to stress her out by bringing in a wild newcomer, however young. After she passed, I brought the kitten in. She came in swinging, of course, but little by little, she adapted. The cat who had been her companion in the cabin also came in. She passed in 2016. Baby Su is now 15, only bonded to me, but living a very comfortable and loved life with me, my roomies, and my other two cats, 16 and 12.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with most of the posts here. As to the "invasive" comment, get the FACTS on ADAPTIVE, not "invasive" cats: alleycat.org/TruthAboutCats -- and it's HUMANS, not cats, that are responsible for the overwhelming majority of "wildlife" and bird extinction/deaths, through overpopulation, overdevelopment, destruction of habitat and infrastructure (air, land, water, plants), installations of large glasslines and photovoltaic farms, etc. So do you want to "cull" a bunch of humans to save the "wildlife" and precious birds? Probably not. I'm just guessing here. *Heavy sarcasm intended*

bestfriends.org has an excellent barn cat program and they are some of the most well-informed people on the subject. Suggest anyone interested visit their site.

She is well aware of who is to blame for the extinction of birds, as she and I both are on a parrot site where we both try to educate the members, that humans, not cats, are the real villain.

This person not only gives her time to feeding and socializing feral cats but has also recently taken in a newborn kitten that she found on a parking-lot. She went without sleep for two weeks as she patiently fed him through out the night- and feedings for little kittens are no joke. The last time I spoke to her she was building a play station for him.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is well aware of who is to blame for the extinction of birds, as she and I both are on a parrot site where we both try to educate the members, that humans, not cats, are the real villain.

This person not only gives her time to feeding and socializing feral cats but has also recently taken in a newborn kitten that she found on a parking-lot. She went without sleep for two weeks as she patiently fed him through out the night- and feedings for little kittens are no joke. The last time I spoke to her she was building a play station for him.
Excellent, jefferd18 jefferd18 . I always want to be on the safe side, which is why I share that just to be sure it's available. BEST to her and to all in her care.

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise

Edited because it was long and derailed.

Instead of reacting with sarcasm, simply being informative would go farther to teaching someone you may disagree with. The link is to a site with a clear bias and the page no longer exists. Tagging me would have been more effective as well.

If you read my post, you can see that I mention what humans have done to alter the landscape.

But, I'll get off my soapbox, sorry to the OP for derailing the thread. If the original commenter would like to discuss this further we can take it to PMs.