Thoughts on adopting a 12 yr old cat??? What is your experience with aging cats , etc??

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will she have a safe place that your daughter can't get to? On top of cabinets maybe? Most cats will simply try to get away from a child rather than hurt them.

I agree, how about seeing how your daughter gets on with her?

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An issue declawed cats have is biting because they feel threatened because they have lost their natural defence. Dr. Jean Hofve states that 75% of declawed cats in shelters are relinquished due to behaviour issues, mainly biting and litterbox problems. This comment is not meant to dissuade you from adopting her I just want you to be aware that there could be some behaviour problems, but they are fixable. I think it is best to prepare for every circumstance when getting a cat in order for that cat to stay in your home. Many people on here have adopted wonderful declawed cats so I do not mean to imply there is something wrong with all of them again just want you to be prepared to prevent any problems.

As Peaches08 states having lots of high places for cats to get away on are great in curbing aggression. Both cat towers and cat shelves should be placed around the home. Spirit essences may be helpful to get to help her stay calm (http://store.jacksongalaxy.com/Spirit-Essences-Bestsellers-s/1850.htm). They have many different types for stress, trauma and even one made for declawed cats. A feliway diffuser may also be helpful. 

If the cat is known to get over stimulated try to only pat her on her head as cats with this problem tend to bite when you pat them too much on their bodies. Teach your daughter to allow the cat to come to her and not force herself on the cat. Here is some good advice on petting a cat that gets over stimulated 
  ).  

Also, do not let her carry the cat on its back like a baby- this will really irritate some cats. I know a lot of kids like to carry cats like this and you can with some cats, mine actually love it but they are both extremely docile cats who are from breeds that are selected for this type of behaviour. I would say a declawed cat who has a history of getting overstimulated may attack a child if she tries to carry it on its back so this is something to watch out for. 

I would also inquire if she has a history of litter box issues because this can occur as well with declawed cats. Again there are lots of things you can do to help avoid problems. Some declawed cats prefer a softer type of litter so if she does have problems you might want to try something like yesterdays news. Even if she doesn't have a history of problems I think getting  Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter or additive is always a good idea when bring a new cat home in order to make their litter box as attractive as possible. 

Here is a great article from the site on tips for bringing a new cat home, these should also help to avoid any problems cropping up (http://www.thecatsite.com/a/bringing-home-a-new-cat). Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excellent info!!! No, they said no litter box problems...Funny I read here about the biting from declawing, because growing up everyone had declawed cats, and my sister and I agree, we never knew of a declawed cat that bites.......But you learn something new everyday.......They said no biting issues, so we will have to see what they say when they go into the files.....Who knows, maybe the cat wasnt friendly with other cats? or maybe it was in a household with kids who didnt treat the cat right when the parents were not around? Or maybe they lied, and just said that cause they didnt want a cat anymore??  Hopefully the cat will be ok for our family....

As for my daughter, she would never be around the cat alone...So i woudl make sure she handled the cat correctly :) We live in a medium/large size 4 BR so plenty of room for the cat to get away from her...Plus, she goes to bed by 8:00, she would only have 4 hrs wilth the cat during the week...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, don't forget that most of us don't have declawed cats, and many of us never have. And here on TCS, we're going to see people posting their problems, so I'm sure declawed cats with issues are over-represented.

It is good, of course, to know at least the stated reason for the owner surrender. But if the cat is listed as not having issues, I wouldn't over-think this too much! :hugs: You've gotten great advice, you know your daughter needs to be taught how to interact with kitty (which would be the case no matter what, anyway! :lol3: ).... If this kitty picked you and you're happy about it, go with it! :D

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, don't forget that most of us don't have declawed cats, and many of us never have. And here on TCS, we're going to see people posting their problems, so I'm sure declawed cats with issues are over-represented.

It is good, of course, to know at least the stated reason for the owner surrender. But if the cat is listed as not having issues, I wouldn't over-think this too much!
You've gotten great advice, you know your daughter needs to be taught how to interact with kitty (which would be the case no matter what, anyway!
).... If this kitty picked you and you're happy about it, go with it!
Right :) And I dont believe in declawing now that Im older and educated, but I figured if we adopt it might be easier if the cat is already declawed, but personally I would never do it if we got a kitten....We feel a decalwed adult cat is best for our family...I agree..As long as they dont come back with something really negative, we will go with it...I really really liek this cat...I have researched so much in teh last month about adopting, caring, for, and transitioning the cat to a new home..i even have the litter box picked out, and some cat furniture! A far as food, i know it gets wet food..Do I continue with what they are giving? What if its a low quality?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because of the stress of being in a new territory, no matter what they've been eating, it's best to let them eat that at first. How to transition kitty to wet food will depend upon whether or not she's been free fed or fed timed meals. Transitioning a cat to timed meals can be the harder process. I used to leave dry food out for my cats to graze on before I learned that wasn't an appropriate way to feed them. For my kitties, they liked wet food well enough, but weren't used to eating enough to be considered a "meal." So I managed the transition by putting a measured amount of kibble out at night, pulling it during the day, and feeding frequent small meals, and after a few weeks, pulling the kibble altogether. Thankfully, I work from home, so I was able to then slowly increase the amount of food provided, and reduce the number of meals. I worked it down to three meals a day: the equivalent of before work, after work, and before bed. This seems to work well for their tummies, yet provides the flexibility we need to be gone long stretches of time or in the evenings/at night.

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Certainly not all declawed cats have behaviour problems it is estimated at about 30% so not even a majority. Though pain and arthritis are things that are more common in declawed cats. Once she gets accustomed to your house and is used to you may want to try massaging and stretching her paws to prevent tendon contraction- this will help prevent arthritis and pain. The declaw spirit essence is supposed to be good as well. 

I agree she sounds like she has chosen you, so I hope everything works out.  

As for food if you want to switch her to be better quality it is suggested you do it slowly to prevent stomach upset. And glad you have decided to feed wet!

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!!! I think they give her wet in the morrning, then they leave out dry all day...I will have to check....Keeping my fingers crossed...

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's precious!
Good luck
Thank you!! So great to know I have so many people here to help me with any concerns once we get her..If we do! ..Im thinking since most adoption places require another vet visit within a week of adopting, I really would love to bring her to the vet before I bring her home? I woudl hate to have her adjust for 2 days or so, then have to get her back into the car for the vet...Thoughts?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! So great to know I have so many people here to help me with any concerns once we get her..If we do! ..Im thinking since most adoption places require another vet visit within a week of adopting, I really would love to bring her to the vet before I bring her home? I woudl hate to have her adjust for 2 days or so, then have to get her back into the car for the vet...Thoughts?
You mean take her the day your bringing her home? Sure, I don't see why not.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I suppose that's not a bad idea. Then all of her "upheavel" is done all at once, and she can just get back your place and relax in her new surroundings. :)

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Ok..I went to see the cat out of the cage today, and she was extremely shy, and distant...The volunteer tried to pick her up and have her out of the cage for me, but she just jumps right back in...She was different with me today....While I was petting her (in her cage) she did lick me, but then nipped at my arm, not hard, I have never had a cat do that to me....So wondering if this was why she was surrrendered as "not friendly"....Im sure she is sick of living in a small cage at Petco..These people today are not from the main shelter, so Im still waiting for the phone call from shelter as to why the cat was surrendered..They called me but I was out all day.......My husband was turned off, as he thought the cat was "very very distant"...Just thought the cat would want to come out more etc....Kind of scared now to adopt a cat that is so scared? Should  I be looking for a cat that is more loving at the shelter? Are they all scared? I just dont want my 5 yr old to be nipped.....

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Ok..I went to see the cat out of the cage today, and she was extremely shy, and distant...The volunteer tried to pick her up and have her out of the cage for me, but she just jumps right back in...She was different with me today....While I was petting her (in her cage) she did lick me, but then nipped at my arm, not hard, I have never had a cat do that to me....So wondering if this was why she was surrrendered as "not friendly"....Im sure she is sick of living in a small cage at Petco..These people today are not from the main shelter, so Im still waiting for the phone call from shelter as to why the cat was surrendered..They called me but I was out all day.......My husband was turned off, as he thought the cat was "very very distant"...Just thought the cat would want to come out more etc....Kind of scared now to adopt a cat that is so scared? Should  I be looking for a cat that is more loving at the shelter? Are they all scared? I just dont want my 5 yr old to be nipped.....
No, that isn't necessarily a bad sign. Some cats "kiss" by gently nipping. However, if they aren't generally loving on you while doing it, it may be a sign that you're overstimulating them and should stop what you're doing. Cats don't want to hurt people, generally. That's why they try to communicate in non-painful ways. If the cat seriously wanted to bite you, she would have.

Also, you have to consider what's happened to her. Some cats really don't do well in a shelter environment, especially if they aren't "alpha" outgoing cats by nature.

Just because she's very withdrawn in a shelter environment doesn't mean she'll be that way in a home.

My cat was actually so freaked out by the shelter that they had to keep her in foster for her own mental health. They brought her into the shelter to meet me, and she stayed huddled in the back of her carrier the entire time. I didn't try to take her out, because for a cat who's that scared, they think you're taking them into a dangerous situation. I just sat quietly with her and made "eye kisses," which she eventually returned. Then I rubbed her cheeks, and although she remained very tense, she did respond to that.

But once I got her home, she was a totally different cat within a week, and she's still getting better 3 months later. Some cats take longer than that to adjust, but right now, she's doing laps and playing with feathers. She sleeps with me every night. She sits by me at my desk. She follows me around rubbing on my legs.

Just because a cat is distant in a shelter -- which is basically an orphanage for animals -- doesn't mean they'll be that way in a loving home.

However, I would strongly suggest you bring your child to meet her. Some cats have had bad experiences with children being rough or scary towards them, and shy cats often react to that with fear. My cat is terrified of children for that reason. If she is afraid of your child -- even wrongly -- she may do best in a different home than yours.

"Alpha" outgoing cats generally do well with children, but some shier cats will too if given a chance. The first cat in my life was a very shy former stray who was middle-aged when I was born. But I was taught how to be kind to her, and she did like me and hang out with me. Despite her shy nature, that was the cat that made me love the little fuzzballs.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll have the make the decision that you think is best for your family, but I just wanted to say that many of these shelter cats, especially older ones, are very scared and depressed in their current environment.

I'm a little biased in this respect, though, because I'll walk into a shelter and say, "Give me your most difficult cat." When I adopted Caesar, he was underweight, very sick and standoff-ish. They were encouraging me to take him along with Sebastian, his "brother" from the same household. I think they were hinting to me that he might get put down. I walked out with the both of them. The SPCA volunteer told me that Caesar will bite, but he has never bitten me. I gave him a chance to trust me and love me.

I'm not trying to persuade you to adopt this girl, because I think it would be terrible if you had to return her, but I wanted to emphasize that it can take time, patience and a little work to help a cat settle into it's new environment.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes nipping can be a sign of affection in cats and a method they "claim" you. My kitten is kind of an alpha/beta personality and she will sometimes lick and give me "love bites" to claim me as hers when we are in bed. It is not really biting though more like holding my face with her teeth so she can drool on me. She is a very aggressive cuddler and even likes to nurse or in  the cat world "smurgle" on me.

In this case the nipping may be a sign of the over stimulation problems you were told she has. She sounds like the type of cat you need to let come to you and not pat her when she is in a vulnerable situation. I think she was probably irritated with all the people in the store and did not feel comfortable being petted in a cage where she has no escape or choice. I think if you always follow the petting techniques that were mentioned in the Jackson Galaxy video above you should be fine. I do worry this may be difficult for you daughter to stick to and you have to be prepared she may bite her if your daughter pats here when she does not want it. The good news is that she seems to not bite hard so hopefully if it does happen you can all understand it is just her way of warning that she is not happy. 

It is great you want to adopt an older cat from a shelter but you do have to be prepared a lot will come with baggage but many of these problems can be fixed. It is tougher that you have a five year old, but I think as long as everyone is supervised it should be ok. 

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, that isn't necessarily a bad sign. Some cats "kiss" by gently nipping. However, if they aren't generally loving on you while doing it, it may be a sign that you're overstimulating them and should stop what you're doing. Cats don't want to hurt people, generally. That's why they try to communicate in non-painful ways. If the cat seriously wanted to bite you, she would have.

Also, you have to consider what's happened to her. Some cats really don't do well in a shelter environment, especially if they aren't "alpha" outgoing cats by nature.

Just because she's very withdrawn in a shelter environment doesn't mean she'll be that way in a home.

My cat was actually so freaked out by the shelter that they had to keep her in foster for her own mental health. They brought her into the shelter to meet me, and she stayed huddled in the back of her carrier the entire time. I didn't try to take her out, because for a cat who's that scared, they think you're taking them into a dangerous situation. I just sat quietly with her and made "eye kisses," which she eventually returned. Then I rubbed her cheeks, and although she remained very tense, she did respond to that.

But once I got her home, she was a totally different cat within a week, and she's still getting better 3 months later. Some cats take longer than that to adjust, but right now, she's doing laps and playing with feathers. She sleeps with me every night. She sits by me at my desk. She follows me around rubbing on my legs.

Just because a cat is distant in a shelter -- which is basically an orphanage for animals -- doesn't mean they'll be that way in a loving home.

However, I would strongly suggest you bring your child to meet her. Some cats have had bad experiences with children being rough or scary towards them, and shy cats often react to that with fear. My cat is terrified of children for that reason. If she is afraid of your child -- even wrongly -- she may do best in a different home than yours.

"Alpha" outgoing cats generally do well with children, but some shier cats will too if given a chance. The first cat in my life was a very shy former stray who was middle-aged when I was born. But I was taught how to be kind to her, and she did like me and hang out with me. Despite her shy nature, that was the cat that made me love the little fuzzballs.
Hi!! She did meet her yesterday....The cat was free to go wherever it wanted, but it stayed in  its enclosure on top..I actually had to stand on a chair to pet the cat....so it was hard for me , my daughter, or husband to interact....Maybe its better we try and find a cat that is not labeled as "not friendly" only becaus eof my daughter..There is another lovely cat there but my husband is set on a declawed cat....She aso is very very heavy.....

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great info here...Not sure my husband is up for the challenge with this cat...Esp with our daugher...Even though, it may be that she is liek this way fo course cause she has been stuck in this small glass enclosure....They are from a center, but they are in petco...So going to the actual shelter may be better...These few cats in petco, they only come out 2x a day for an hr :(

I think it may be bettr we go to the bigger shelters.We have one about 40 minutes from here that is well know, and they have huge glass enclosures with huge cat trees  and furniture, that they intereact with all day long...

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!! She did meet her yesterday....The cat was free to go wherever it wanted, but it stayed in  its enclosure on top..I actually had to stand on a chair to pet the cat....so it was hard for me , my daughter, or husband to interact....Maybe its better we try and find a cat that is not labeled as "not friendly" only becaus eof my daughter..There is another lovely cat there but my husband is set on a declawed cat....She aso is very very heavy.....
Well, it isn't necessarily that the cat isn't friendly. It's just that she may be shy or have previous trauma. These can be great cats, but they will require more patience. Perhaps yours isn't the right home for her.

I'd urge you both to reconsider the declawing requirment. It's pretty easy to teach a cat to use a scratching post.

And if your husband is worried about a cat scratching your kid, I have bad news for you. Cats who are declawed are more likely to bite as a first line of defense, since they can't defend with their claws. And cat bites are WAY more dangerous than scratches.

And furthermore, if he's worried about your furniture, I have even more bad news. Cats who are declawed sometimes have a litter box aversion due to a painful experience while they were still healing.

I mean, if you meet a declawed cat that just seems perfect, go for it. But there isn't any "benefit" to a cat being declawed, in terms of the amount of risk the cat poses to your daughter or your home, and it certainly does nothing to benefit the cat who had to endure it.

Also, I'm a little worried about the mindset he has. A cat shouldn't be looked at as a potential danger that has to be properly contained or modified. They should be looked at as a member of the family who deserves some consideration.

Cats aren't dangerous, crazy creatures. They are very loving creatures. And even as shy and traumatized as my cat was when I took her home, she's never scratched me yet. In fact, I've had cats my entire life, and I think I could count on one hand the number of times a cat intentionally scratched me. It's all about teaching both him and your daughter to be kind to them.

Make sure that he's ready to treat the cat with compassion, not with distrust. Cats can pick up on that, and they will respond in kind.

Last edited: