Thoughts on adopting a 12 yr old cat??? What is your experience with aging cats , etc??

colts2broncos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shes beautiful!!! You NEED that cat, she needs you. End of story. :)

Thanks furryfriend, he was an awesome cat, And worth every cent :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say you've already gotten great advice - but WOW she's beautiful! Get that hubby over there!
I know...LOL>.My sister said if she already didnt have 2 cats and 2 dogs, she would be over there...LOL....

sweetblasphemy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!!! Hope I can get him over to the shelter...This is the cat...:)

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/26814069
She is absolutely stunning... and look at those bright, sparkling eyes. There is no doubt in my mind that she would make an amazing friend for you and your daughter. I say absolutely go for it! She deserves to spend her golden days in a secure home where she will be loved and cared for by someone who knows how to appreciate her unique soul :) Imagine the love she will give...

I also second the suggestion to just make sure to plan ahead and have a little put away in case of unanticipated veterinary costs... best of luck!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, this is going to sound weird, but I like to compare cats with desserts based on their coloring. This beautiful girl reminds me of a Magic Cookie Bar! 

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it weren't for the fact that my kitty is a recent rescue with a trauma history and is very insecure and needs more time to adjust here with just me, there's a senior kitty I would have adopted myself. She's 15, still sitting in the shelter, and man, I have to hold myself back.

Here's a question for ya.

Would your husband consider a hamster?

If you got that 12-year-old cat and a baby hamster at the exact same time, there's a very good chance the cat would outlive the hamster.

I think this is potentially a great thing for your daughter as well. An older cat will be more mellow -- more of a cuddler. But as she ages and starts to get creaky, like all old critters do, it will teach her to be gentle and considerate, and the joy that comes from caring for something that really does need you.

I was born into a home with a middle aged cat, and she was a senior by the time I was in elementary school. She died at 16, when I was 8 years old, and I think it was a profound experience for me. She was "my dad's cat" in the sense that she loved him the most. But I learned to be considerate as she got older and creakier and started getting glaucoma and thus couldn't see as well.

And as she got older, she started coming into my room more often, and sometimes even going to bed with me.

She was born a stray, so she never entirely trusted people. And to get that from her meant a lot to me.

And you know what?

It'll hurt when the kitty passes away. But your daughter will carry on. It's not going to destroy her life. And caring for an older kitty in the mean time might ignite a certain spark in her for animals, as it did for me.

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you decided?

Well, I was going to see the cat today, and take a ride, but I noticed the cat was no longer on their site or petfinder!!! It was there on Friday.....So I emailed them and are waiting for a response....I hope nothing happened to her health, maybe someone adopted her?!  She is certainly beautiful...

Thanks for all your responses, and help, I will keep you all updated :)

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it weren't for the fact that my kitty is a recent rescue with a trauma history and is very insecure and needs more time to adjust here with just me, there's a senior kitty I would have adopted myself. She's 15, still sitting in the shelter, and man, I have to hold myself back.

Here's a question for ya.

Would your husband consider a hamster?

If you got that 12-year-old cat and a baby hamster at the exact same time, there's a very good chance the cat would outlive the hamster.

I think this is potentially a great thing for your daughter as well. An older cat will be more mellow -- more of a cuddler. But as she ages and starts to get creaky, like all old critters do, it will teach her to be gentle and considerate, and the joy that comes from caring for something that really does need you.

I was born into a home with a middle aged cat, and she was a senior by the time I was in elementary school. She died at 16, when I was 8 years old, and I think it was a profound experience for me. She was "my dad's cat" in the sense that she loved him the most. But I learned to be considerate as she got older and creakier and started getting glaucoma and thus couldn't see as well.

And as she got older, she started coming into my room more often, and sometimes even going to bed with me.

She was born a stray, so she never entirely trusted people. And to get that from her meant a lot to me.

And you know what?

It'll hurt when the kitty passes away. But your daughter will carry on. It's not going to destroy her life. And caring for an older kitty in the mean time might ignite a certain spark in her for animals, as it did for me.
We already have a guinea pig for the past 2 yrs, and they can live as long as 8 :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I was going to see the cat today, and take a ride, but I noticed the cat was no longer on their site or petfinder!!! It was there on Friday.....So I emailed them and are waiting for a response....I hope nothing happened to her health, maybe someone adopted her?!  She is certainly beautiful...

Thanks for all your responses, and help, I will keep you all updated :)
I hope she is still there for you!  I know that sometimes these places work on a shoestring budget and don't get back to people all that quickly.  When we were looking for our 2nd cat, I didn't get a call back from one of them until weeks later.  Turned out they were having computer issues (1 computer!!!) and so, weren't getting their emails.  They still had the cat I wanted, but they they found she had a tumor of some sort on her backside (she was an older cat) and we were certainly not equipped to take on an ill kitty.  Let alone, we had already committed ourselves to working with another rescue operation (below) that had been very proactive with us.

If not, my offer still stands.  I mentioned that I'm friendly with one of the people who runs another rescue in your area, I bet they have a kitty which will suit you also.  In fact, I think this woman has a knack for matching up the right cat to the right human lol.  Nearly all of them are in foster, so they really are getting great care and lots of love and attention, 

The name of the rescue organization is S.A.R.A. in Berkeley Heights. Here's the listing of their current availabilities: 

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelterid=NJ264

They have cats out at adoption days every Saturday, in Garwood at the PetValue near Kings Supermarket and also at the Petco in Watchung and Old Bridge.  I'm at the Garwood location frequently, as I do most of my food shopping for the cats and us in that center lol.  Nearly everytime I'm there there's a cat I want to take home with me and she reminds me how I'm preapproved hahaha!  But, we (and she) knows we are only set up for the 2 we have (small house, finances).  

Anyway, if interested, PM me and I'll give you her name and let her know you might be contacting them.  But, I do hope the other cat is still available, she is a beauty!

Last edited:

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much sivy!!!!  I looked at the cats, but the issue is we really prefer an already declawed cat....I sont believe in declawing, but if one is already declawed , my hubby prefers that....I also grew up with a declawed cat for a few years, but I dont remember much about her now...:)

I did call.....And TWINKLE WAS ADOPTED ON SATURDAY!!!!! I GUESS THATS GOOD IN A WAY FOR THE CAT :) AS MY HUSBAND WAS UNSURE WITH THAT OLD OF A CAT....ON TO THE NEXT SEARCH.....

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Lucky Twinkle that she was adopted.  She is a beautiful cat. 

I just want to belatedly share my experience that we adopted an 11 year old cat who, like Twinkle, was already declawed,   and literally saved his life;  nobody wanted such an " old "  cat and he was due to be put down the next day because his time was up.     We got so lucky , he was the most wonderful loving cat,  very loyal,  it   seemed like he knew he was saved.    He lived 7 more years and was healthy right up to very shortly before the end.   He had no behavior problems and loved everyone,  was great with kids.    I feel so fortunate to have known him and glad to have given him a good home for the rest of his life. 

I hope your family will also find a great cat to love.  

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much sivy!!!!  I looked at the cats, but the issue is we really prefer an already declawed cat....I sont believe in declawing, but if one is already declawed , my hubby prefers that....I also grew up with a declawed cat for a few years, but I dont remember much about her now...:)

I did call.....And TWINKLE WAS ADOPTED ON SATURDAY!!!!! I GUESS THATS GOOD IN A WAY FOR THE CAT :) AS MY HUSBAND WAS UNSURE WITH THAT OLD OF A CAT....ON TO THE NEXT SEARCH.....
Sorry to hear she got adopted by someone else but good for her that she did.  

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]S.A.R.A. do[/font]es periodically get declawed cats there also, just I guess happens that right now there aren't any.  If you don't find another one somewhere else keep checking with them, since like with all other rescues,sadly cats come and go all the time.

Keep us posted how your search goes :)

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
  Lucky Twinkle that she was adopted.  She is a beautiful cat. 

I just want to belatedly share my experience that we adopted an 11 year old cat who, like Twinkle, was already declawed,   and literally saved his life;  nobody wanted such an " old "  cat and he was due to be put down the next day because his time was up.     We got so lucky , he was the most wonderful loving cat,  very loyal,  it   seemed like he knew he was saved.    He lived 7 more years and was healthy right up to very shortly before the end.   He had no behavior problems and loved everyone,  was great with kids.    I feel so fortunate to have known him and glad to have given him a good home for the rest of his life. 

I hope your family will also find a great cat to love.  
Great to hear!!! As I am not sure which cat we will hopefully eventually adopt.....And my hubby was slightly scared to adopt a cat so old, but great to hear that they can be very healthy to the end

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear she got adopted by someone else but good for her that she did.  

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]S.A.R.A. do[/font]es periodically get declawed cats there also, just I guess happens that right now there aren't any.  If you don't find another one somewhere else keep checking with them, since like with all other rescues,sadly cats come and go all the time.

Keep us posted how your search goes :)
I definitely will!!! And thank you so very much for all your concern and help!

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE :Well, I am back on the search and my husband even came with me to see this black cat Ive had my eye on.....6 yr old, and declawed, so more of what we were looking for in terms of age.....She is black and beautiful...Owner surrender, not sure why yet....she is 10 pounds, is that average??? She seemed very small to me.....Hoping now my hsuband agrees to the cat, but he liked her Alot.....Does anyone have a black cat?? her eyes were green gorgeous...her card said it takes some time to get to know her, but as soon as I called her name she was coming up to the glass, and rolling over for me over and over :)

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had black cats as a kid...I love them!

As far as weight, how does she look? I have a cobby built cat at 17 lbs, a lanky cat at 13 lbs, and a medium cat at 7 lbs.

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok..They emailed me back, and she is very healthy...They treat for flea/tick preventive, she is microchipped, had all her vaccines, including rabies recently....They are looking into her file though because she told me she is super sweet, but does get cranky if you pet her too much when she wants to be left alone.... They said she was surrendered by the owner for "not being friendly" :( Why after 6 yrs?? So, the woman at the shelter is going back deeper into the files to find out exactly why...

Feeling sad..Cause my husband and I really like her....Any advice? I have one five yr odl daugher...

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love black cats and 6 is a good age. How awesome for you to adopt an older cat.

You really have to look at a cat's shape more than their weight. What's normal for one, is fat for another. You should be able to feel but not see their ribs and if you look from above they should have kind of an hourglass figure.

If she gets irritated by over stimulation that might not be great for a 5yo who wants to constantly be in contact with the kitty, but it might be a problem with the original owner. Have you brought your daughter to see her?

furryfriend2013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love black cats and 6 is a good age. How awesome for you to adopt an older cat.

You really have to look at a cat's shape more than their weight. What's normal for one, is fat for another. You should be able to feel but not see their ribs and if you look from above they should have kind of an hourglass figure.

If she gets irritated by over stimulation that might not be great for a 5yo who wants to constantly be in contact with the kitty, but it might be a problem with the original owner. Have you brought your daughter to see her?
My daughter has only seen her thru glass....Im just hoping the cat doesnt bite, etc...She is declawed.....I dont mind if it gets annoyed with too much stimulation, as I had a cat growing up that was sweet, but woudl make a noise if she didnt want to be bothered....she seemed very sweet, as soon as I called her name she went to the glass as close as possible and kept rolling over...And the center says she loves a good petting session....My aughter is the only child, and she would be at school till 4 everyday...So really the cat would be alone w me most of the day in a very quiet atmosphere....