Thoughts on adding a new cat to my household?

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Henry is nearly 17 yo. Her brother (a littermate) passed about four years ago. Her sister passed in December. They were not buddies, but did live together for 12 years.

I wasn’t planning to add to the household, as I figure it would not be good for my little old lady to have to adapt to a new family member. But my friend thinks she’s probably lonely, and maybe that’s why she hasn’t been eating enough. (Vet checkup 10 days ago was great except for weight loss.)

What is the thinking on adding a pet to a household with an elderly kitty? I know not to get a kitten and that it’s probably better to add a male than a female. Personality wise I feel like she would accept a new kitty.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Henry is nearly 17 yo. Her brother (a littermate) passed about four years ago. Her sister passed in December. They were not buddies, but did live together for 12 years.

I wasn’t planning to add to the household, as I figure it would not be good for my little old lady to have to adapt to a new family member. But my friend thinks she’s probably lonely, and maybe that’s why she hasn’t been eating enough. (Vet checkup 10 days ago was great except for weight loss.)

What is the thinking on adding a pet to a household with an elderly kitty? I know not to get a kitten and that it’s probably better to add a male than a female. Personality wise I feel like she would accept a new kitty.
If you think she will accept it it may help her feel less lonely. I probably would not get a younger kitten like you said because that can be hard on an older cat. It just depends on the personalities of the cats. So maybe if you can find a foster situation you can see if they got along and if they don’t you can find another cat who is better for her.

Male is prolly better as long as they are not too active/ dominant/ aggressive etc.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for thinking about the welfare of your lovely senior! Sorry to hear about the passing of his buddies.

Do you agree with your friend that Henry is lonely? She may or may not be, and you probably knows it best.

As for adding another cat, here's my experience:

My senior Ruckus was 14 when his sister passed away, and 15 when I adopted a new female cat Sushi. At the time Sushi was 4 yo. They existed peacefully together but never became good buddies; Ruckus passed away at the age of 16. I'd say the biggest factor that helped with the transition was that Sushi was a laid-back, low-energy cat; had she been more energetic or dominant, it would not be good for Ruckus. Also, my hunch is that had Sushi been older (i.e. the age difference was smaller) they might have gotten along better.

In summary, I'd say if you're positive that Henry is lonely and can benefit from having a fur friend, then getting an older cat whose energy level matches that of Henry's is important.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A 17 year old cat is set in their routines and really doesn’t have much patience or energy for the changes that another cat brings. In all likelihood he will not appreciate it at all and the stress of a newcomer may exacerbate any health conditions he has. So if he were mine I would let him live out his final years in peace and lavish your time and attention solely on him. If he does not have a heated bed, he would probably love that and most cats find it a great comfort.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree with susanm9006 susanm9006

I thought our older then 10ish girl was lonely after the loss of her brother-from-another-mother (and father). 8 months later, we brought home a 16 week old kitten, very well socialized. Very calm when around the older one, really never fussed with her much at all.

The old lady (who wasn't even the age of yours) was NOT happy. We thought for sure since she got along so well with our boy, and was a rather pleasant happy cat in general, would be at least accepting of a new cat. It took many weeks for her to stop growling and hissing.

Nope. They did manage to come to a pleasant way of living together, but it's been nearly 2-1/2 years and she has never really cuddled with her, no grooming, barely acknowledges the other cats presence. Occasionally she gets in the mood for a quick chase or tapping at her playfully but I do think she would have been perfectly fine if we never had brought another cat home. At this point I feel bad for the younger one who I honestly think could use a friend being she's still young enough and social enough to accept one.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it just the weight loss that has your friend thinking Henry is lonely? That does happen but it could also be temporary and Henry will eat more again.
I think if you decided to add another, as above I'd make sure it is a cat that is older and has lived with other cats successfully- if you went to a shelter a cat that is in a pavilion/colony room with other cats, and has a similar energy level that Henry has.
It may or may not be successful and could take a long time to introduce them, and it also may be they love each other's company.

What your gut tells you about Henry, and weighing if her having you only focusing on her remaining years without another, opposed to the possibility of Henry loving having a companion or being stressed by it.
Clear as mud! :redheartpump:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

In our family, adoption has always been determined by need on the part of a cat who is homeless or needing rehoming. It's been a large multicat family for years but is currently at two, Suha, 17 and born feral, and Elvis, 14 and needing rehoming when he was 9. We had lost one of our elders at 19, and I wanted to adopt as this is what I always do when there is a place. A friend told me that a mutual acquaintance knew of a cat needing rehoming; long story shorter, Elvis was that cat. Initially they seemed as if they might take to each other, but somehow, Suha decided she didn't really like Elvis, so they have a standoff. This is a big house, but they spend most of their time in the master bedroom quite happily. Occasionally Elvis will chase Suha, which is not appreciated; if I see it happening, I will talk with him and he will retreat, as he knows this is not wanted. But they do quite well for the most part.
In a lifetime of adopting, I believe that it's personality more than age or gender that determines how well cats (or humans, or anyone else) will get along together. A calm adult cat of either gender may help Henry to feel less lonely, and would be a wonderful addition to your family. Shelters are very happy to find good, loving homes for these cats, as well. Please let us know how things go!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do worry it would stress her out, so I probably won’t get another. My plan has been to adopt a bonded pair when all my kitties are gone, so I don’t have to deal with introductions. Hopefully it will be at least a couple more years before that happens!

She is meowing less than she was. She had been doing that anyway, as I know many older kitties do, but it did seem to increase after Sophie left us (Which again I know is normal). I hate to rock her boat any more so I think we still stick with lots of lap time alone with mom. I *have* been meaning to look for a heating pad for her. I assume there are ones specifically for kitties that are safer than an actual heating pad or blanket.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do worry it would stress her out, so I probably won’t get another. My plan has been to adopt a bonded pair when all my kitties are gone, so I don’t have to deal with introductions. Hopefully it will be at least a couple more years before that happens!

She is meowing less than she was. She had been doing that anyway, as I know many older kitties do, but it did seem to increase after Sophie left us (Which again I know is normal). I hate to rock her boat any more so I think we still stick with lots of lap time alone with mom. I *have* been meaning to look for a heating pad for her. I assume there are ones specifically for kitties that are safer than an actual heating pad or blanket.
I'm not okay with electrics around cats, so I have a self-heating bed which has been very popular. If you search "self-heating cat beds" you can see a wide array for all budgets. We got ours from Drs. Foster & Smith, our favorite business, which unfortunately is no more. It's a faux cheetah or leopard "fur" one, completely flat.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds very well thought out. I have 4 cats- of those there are 2 who will share a bed, couch, with each other when with me but won't with the other 2 cats, and the other 2 won't share with each other or the first 2. So I feel my attention pulled 4 ways and wonder sometimes if they all are getting the human attention they deserve! They all love humans and laps and pets and it's just me here.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you get an electric get a k& h pad, they only heat to around the body temp of the kitty and work when kitty is on it. They are well made and safe.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
If you get an electric get a k& h pad, they only heat to around the body temp of the kitty and work when kitty is on it. They are well made and safe.
I have a K&H heated bed and it's wonderful. My cat Gracie who I got it for- she has arthritis- doesn't use it but the others love it!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I do worry it would stress her out, so I probably won’t get another.
I think you made the right decision. And as what others have said, just lavish her with all the attention and love solely on her during her last years with you. Take lots of pictures and videos, bring her for a walk around the neighborhood, make short drives with her, anything you think she'd enjoy. You have given Henry the best 17 years of her life, and will continue doing so for sure. It makes me happy just reading posts about owners who worry about their cats and think so much about how they can make their cats happier and more comfortable, like you.

Here's to more happy years with Henry! :beerchug:

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats hate change, even moving furniture or a cat tree causes them stress. Why cause your senior cat stress in it's late life?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others. Leave her alone.
You may want to try some enrichments for Henry, like taking her out on a leash or in a stroller. My Felix enjoyed that in the few months he lived alone after my other two passed. He was also 17.