1. Guest, hurry up! Enter this giveaway to win an awesome cat-themed bag worth $64.99! Click here to enter today. Multiple daily entries!

Thoughts on a Trump government

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by Winchester, Nov 16, 2016.

1. kskatt

kskatt TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jul 31, 2015
    From the beginning, all I could think was, "Ye doth protest too much".

muffy, Mamanyt1953 and artiemom purraised this.
  2. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Did you see that that "source" was from infowars? If you think that's the work of a balanced mind I don't know what to say. The constant talk of "culture wars" for the past few years has left many people worried about their civil rights. That whackadoo may be right that there will be a civil war. As I've said before, I don't know how the logistics will play out. I don't think the majority of regular people fall neatly into one category or another.

But asking people to give up their civil rights in order to avoid war doesn't seem like a good idea either. So I don't know what the answer is. Well, OK, I'd say the answer is "stop trying to control women and minorities and tell them how to live their lives" and "stop trying 'to return to the values and principles this nation was founded on'", such as keeping women out of power, oppressing minorities, and favoring white males, but they obviously don't like that option.

muffy and Mamanyt1953 purraised this.
  3. DreamerRose

DreamerRose TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 11, 2015
    Naperville, IL
    Getting elected didn't do anything for the economy. What job regs did he ease?

artiemom and muffy purraised this.
  4. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Ugh. I try not to talk about politics with my dad, because he is a literal "let them all die" conservative. So today he said something about not wanting to pay for other people's health care, and I said, sarcastically, "sure, then we would all die so it would solve a lot of problems". And he actually said "that's OK, the worthless people would die first". I told him that I, as a single woman, would have historically been considered "worthless" and would be one of the first to die if the government decided to go that route so I couldn't possibly agree with him. He didn't continue the conversation but I hope it made him think. He probably won't care though.

Mamanyt1953, artiemom and margd purraised this.
  5. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Super Cat

It's so hard raising well-adjusted parents . . . .

kskatt, mani, Mamanyt1953 and 1 other person purraised this.
  6. surya

surya TCS Member Alpha Cat

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston
    It's hard to teach an old dog a new trick.

7. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Not really. His hard-core conservatism is a fairly new "trick". He was a dirtbag as a teenager. . .the kind of kid who sat in the back of the classroom smoking (tobacco and weed) and flipped off the teacher if she said anything. He was a Captain's kid so they couldn't do anything about him. Then he joined the Merchant Marine and then the Navy and wandered the world doing whatever he wanted. It's only since he retired, starting collecting guns, and subscribed to that NRA crap (and started watching Fox News) that he's been like this, and the NRA only started getting really scary extremist about 10 years ago. So it's a pretty recent change. It's not a good change :/.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM
  8. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    You know, Willowy, that could have been my coworker's father. He was a good man, made a living as a trucker, and he was a hard worker. He was a Democrat all his life. He became very ill, had to quit his trucking job, and ended up staying at home. With pretty much nothing to do. He started watching a lot of TV. And from there, it went to FAUX News. My coworker said that, eventually he watched FAUX pretty much 24/7. And then the conspiracy-thinking started. And from there, it went all downhill. The NRA was next. It was a downhill spiral.

The man eventually passed away from cancer a couple years ago. But I remember my coworker saying more than once that it was almost like he didn't know his own father anymore.

9. muffy

muffy TCS Member Super Cat

Aug 9, 2014
    Maryland
    I'm so glad both of my parents were Democrats. The guard in my building was a retired cop and a Republican. He hated President Obama and he often said that if he could get away with it he would kill the president. It's ashamed that people can be full of so much hate. I know he is loving that low life, Trump.

Muffy

10. surya

surya TCS Member Alpha Cat

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston
    He sounds like quite a character. That extremist stuff is very scary.

11. white shadow

white shadow TCS Member Super Cat

Nov 28, 2010
    CA
    A while back, one of the frequent contributors to this thread (someone who 'takes great pains' to state 'their' non-partisian stance) posted very positively about how well 'Rump's foreign policy had rolled out..........

That caused me (and, I think, some others) to do a double-take.....as in, "HUH????"

Well, for anyone who may feel that 'Rump's foreign policy should get 'gold stars', this piece should be an eye-opener: Trump foreign policy reversals complicate U.S. role on world stage

This is deeply troubling.

LotsOfFur, Mamanyt1953, Winchester and 2 others purraised this.
  12. Winchester

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen

One reversal, two reversals, three reversals, four
    I wish Trump would just reverse himself and hustle out the door!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    LotsOfFur, muffy, kskatt and 3 others purraised this.
  13. white shadow

white shadow TCS Member Super Cat

Nov 28, 2010
    CA
    :flail::flail::flail::flail::flail:

14. xlpooper

xlpooper TCS Member Super Cat

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    CBS NEWS
    These views are largely the same across ideologies, too, as about two-thirds of liberals, conservatives and even more moderates feel things have gotten worse.

Three-quarters of Americans feel the current tone of politics and debate is encouraging violence among some people; Democrats are especially likely to say so. About a third of Americans consider the recent shooting of a Congressman and others a terrorist attack.

[​IMG]
    Poll: Americans say U.S. political debate is increasingly uncivil

15. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    The current tone of political discourse IS uncivil, and IS encouraging violence. It has been this way for some time, and Trump's anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant rhetoric has made it much worse. Those acknowledging that have been accused of being "politically correct" and overly snowflakish :dunno:. I'm glad to see more people are acknowledging it now.

Eeek, I hope there are some responsible adults handling the North Korea situation. If it's handled wrong, NK may blow Seoul off the map. Besides the tragic loss of millions of lives, it would be very bad politically for the US to be responsible for that kind of disaster.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 12:13 PM
    doomsdave, muffy, artiemom and 1 other person purraised this.
  16. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    I don't think there is a good answer for North Korea. This latest thing with Otto Warmbier has ratcheted things up even further. The doctors here said that they found no signs of botulism which was the North Korean story, this was at the University of Cincinnati medical center not some isolated rural clinic.

17. mani

mani fervent feline fan Staff Member Moderator

Feb 28, 2012
    Australia
    lying.jpg

donutte, LotsOfFur, artiemom and 5 others purraised this.
  18. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    The sixth district in Georgia which the Democrats touted as a bell weather and a referendum on Donald Trump went to the Republican by 6 points. Donald Trump only won that district by 1 point. It is not a rural red district, it is suburbs and bedroom communities north of Atlanta and the most highly educated red district in the country.

The Democrat actually ran as a moderate and a fiscal conservative. Unfortunately he couldn't get past the 'help' from the national Party. Bernie Sanders actively supported him and it became public that Hollywood money was pouring into his campaign. The Republican could then use Nancy Pelosi against him, Do you want to help Nancy Pelosi and do you want to give Nancy Pelosi another vote. The national Democratic party has an image problem outside of the urban areas in the Northeast and the West Coast, just being against Donald Trump and being part of the Resistance isn't enough.

19. Winchester

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    A big Thank You to the ManBaby for not allowing that Ford plant to go to Mexico. Oh, but wait, did you hear? The Focus is now going to China. Nice accomplishment there. Thanks so much.

Supposedly it won't lead to any lay-offs. And, to be fair, they are investing in their Kentucky truck plant to help build the new Navigators and Expeditions there.

Ford To Move Focus Production From Michigan To China | HuffPost

Oh wait, don't like HuffPo? OK, gotcha:

Ford to move US production of Focus to China - BBC News
    Ford to shift Focus production to China in 2019

"Ford in January under former CEO Mark Fields canceled plans to build a $1.6 billion plant in Mexico to build the new Focus. The company said then that it would instead build the car in an existing plant in Hermosillo, Mexico.

The plant cancellation, coupled with an investment announced for a Michigan facility, garnered praise from Trump, though Ford had no plans to keep Focus production in the U.S. at the time." Wonder if the ManBaby knew that Ford Focus was going to leave the US, one way or another.

20. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Super Cat

Maybe DT's election is a further symptom of uncivility. It's perfectly okay to act like a boor, since everyone else does or seems to.

NK frightens me. If I were in Seoul, I'd be nervous, too.

We have a lot of Koreans in Southern California and they're a bit freaked out.